New Build - i5-2550K running VERY hot

csp5038

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I completed building my first PC tonight. My processor is an Intel i5-2550K and my motherboard is an MSI Z68A-G45. I am using the stock heatsink and fan that came with the CPU.

Once I installed Windows 7 I started installing some updates, anti-virus, etc. After a bit I thought the machine was running slower than it should be, so I tried the Windows Experience Index benchmark. My CPU scored a 5.5. This did not seem right. So I installed Core Temp, and my CPU is running at 100 degrees Celcuis!

What can I do to troubleshoot this issue? Is my CPU bad?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I feel a bit lost with this problem.

csp5038

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I checked the heatsink. The push pins all appear to be installed properly. There is a tiny bit of play in the fan, which I thought to be odd, but it doesn't move very much.

csp5038

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks for the help guys. I triple-checked the heatsink and sure enough it wasn't pushed down all the way. Wow, do I feel like a bonehead! Is there a chance that I have ruined my CPU?

Apr 8, 2012

You should get a closed loop/open loop water cooling for the CPU, as "100 degrees Celsius" is devastating!

That doesn't make sense. The cooler doesn't mend the damages that are already done. Plus it's either a custom watercooling loop or all in one watercooling unit. Not "cheap watercooling heatsink" ... :)

csp5038

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
CPU running at about 30-35 degrees at idle. Looks like 50 max degrees under load. Re-ran the Windows Experience Index and scored 7.5 on the CPU.

Everything looks to be working good, including the Intel Turboboost.

I have definitely not overclocked my processor.

Thanks for the help everyone!

InvalidError

Titan
I hate Intel's push-pin HSF fan mounting. The fan shroud the pin holders are molded into has very little flex to it and that makes it hard to tell whether or not there is much tension on it. Even when installed properly, it will loosen up over the years and you are going to start seeing weird thermal numbers or hearing annoying fan speed changes hinting that something is not working the way it used to anymore. On my Core2Duo, it took about three years for the pins/shroud to start coming loose enough to start causing problems.

I re-seated the HSF and results only lasted for a few weeks before the fan speed anc CPU temp circus started again. Since I did not feel like messing around with this weak retention mechanism, I bought a CM Hyper 212+ since a screwed-in backplate mount effectively eliminates any chance of the heatsink coming loose enough to cause problems ever again. Probably one of the best ~$35 I've spent on my PC, I'll definitely get another one of those when I get around to upgrading to an i5 so I won't have to worry about how long until Intel's plastic pins start losing their grip.

Push-pins certainly do not inspire the same degree of confidence as the Northwood HSF retention mechanism... now that was a contraption that made you feel like the HSF wasn't going anywhere any time soon once set.

csp5038

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
This is the first CPU I have installed but I already agree with you InvalidError. The weak plastic push pins instill no confidence in me, and the CPU is the single most important AND expensive part of my machine.

I had already planned to upgrade to a liquid cooler and OC my i5 some time in the near future. Now that I've seen the flimsy fasteners I have a greater desire to upgrade.

csp5038

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
A guide for installing the pesky stock cooler or a guide for OCing? Both would be great! The former for people like me last night, and the latter for people like me today! :)

InvalidError

Titan
The stock cooler isn't particularly hard to install, the main problem is with how subtle the differences between a successful and almost successful installs are. In a bad install, opposite corners tend to pop out as you try to set other pins.

With most other mounting mechanisms, there usually are more obvious signs about whether or not things are lined up and tied down properly... holes don't line up, brackets don't fit or end up in suspicious positions, screws won't screw in, go in crooked or jam, heatsinks wobble, etc.

glad you've got it sorted (unlike some of the others who didn't read the thread before posting) when you decide to change fan, you don't need water unless going extreme. A decent air cooler like the 212 will be as good as cheap water (if not better), and quieter. Try to get one that either accessorises with a bracket under the mobo, or just comes with one, rather than push pins.

csp5038

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

I had not realized I could overclock without liquid cooling. (Though I have admittedly not read up on it as much as I would like to.) I definitely do not want to run liquid if I don't have to.

Is this the cooler you are referring to? Seems like two 120mm fans would be pretty intense cooling. I might have to pick this up and make it my project for next weekend.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10-212P-G1/dp/B002G1YPH0

212+ only comes with one, just in the picture there are 2. While you are at it, pick up another 120mm fan. I'm able to easily overclock my 2600k to 4.5ghz on my hyper 212 EVO, I also have a 2500k rig that uses the H80 but that's a different story... :)

InvalidError

Titan

The Hyper 212+ packs a serious amount of cooling performance for a budget HSF, possibly enough to run as a passive cooler on 75W SKUs with good case ventilation.

It comes with only one fan but includes mounting tabs for a 2nd fan. For mild overclocking, a single fan is already more than enough.

Once mounted, there is a little bit of "twist" wiggle room because the retention clip only has a center-pin to apply pressure to the mounting block, don't over-tighten since this slack is not going to go away.