Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Overclocking question

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2012 4:43:45 PM

Okay Well I haven't got all the parts yet, but I wanted to know more about overclocking.

BTW: this is a budget gaming computer

The Motherboard is a Biostar A880G+ (already bought)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

(already bought) And my processor is a Phenom II (quad core) 960T Black edition 3.0ghz (I want to maybe overclock this in case 3.0ghz isn't enough for a game)
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Processor-Black-Socket...

RAM will be (haven't bought it yet, and open to suggestions)
G.SKILL Value Series 4GB, DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

And Graphic card, maybe (haven't bought this yet either): (also if I have to overclock this (maybe))
ATI Radeon HD 5670
ATI Radeon HD 5770 (if I save up I can buy this last)
(again open to suggestions)

Like for overclocking, will that overclock everything including the RAM? and can my RAM/other parts handle all of it?

More about : overclocking question

January 12, 2012 5:08:33 PM

I am not super familar with what BIOSTAR calls all its BIOS stuff, but I know how to look for UEFI and it isn't there. I also don't see UCC either.

Those are things I usually look for when I am thinking of OCing things in the BIOS.

Based on that, you may have some problems OCing the processor and RAM.

The graphics card will be easy, though.

The 6770 is a decent budget card at ~ $90, but the 6870 is a more solid gaming choice at ~ $150.

Obviously it goes up from there, but those are two recently non-current gen cards that have really good price/performance ratios. The 6850 a better ratio than the 6770, but both are pretty good.

As I mentioned before, though, OCing video cards is easy. You just load up the Catalyst Control Center (Vision Control Center, now?) and check a little box, move some slider bars, hit OK, and go play games.

I am not a big fan of the G.Skill RAM, but its not the worst thing in the world, especially if you intend to buy another one of the same thing later for the 2nd slot.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

January 12, 2012 7:14:27 PM

Do you have a 64 bit version of windows or a 32 bit version?

32 bit versions can only use 4 GBs at the max.

64 bit versions can theoretically use 2 TBs of RAM as the max, but generally speaking 8GBs is good for most people.

I went to the Biostar a880g+ webpage the company has and looked under Memory Support.

As an aside, I wish all makers would do it this way, a lot of them make you download a file with the information in it, but Biostar just writes it directly on the website. No downloading required.

Anyway, there are not a whole lot of options as far as 4 GB sticks go if you have a 64 bit OS.

Indeed, there are only two. This:

and H5TQ2G83BFR which is not for sale on Newegg which kinda narrows it down.

If you have a 64 bit OS, that is the only option that has been tested to work on the board and is readily available. Maybe you can get the other kind from somewhere, but newegg has most everything and if they don't have something its likely nowhere else does too.

That being said, Crucial does its own tests with the boards and writes them on its own website, but currently their website is down for maintenance so I can't access that additional information.

Kingston has a similar tool on their website and their RAM is up there with Crucial in the lowest failure rates, so I looked there for some options. Here is one that came up

If you have a 32 bit OS that open up a lot of different options, though.

Anyway, let me know whether you have 64 bit or 32 bit and I can better advise on RAM options.
January 12, 2012 7:42:35 PM

Well I have a 32 bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate so yeah, that narrowed it down
Score
January 12, 2012 8:58:44 PM

2 GB sticks are the bread and butter of the computing world, really, so the world is your oyster.

If you want to have 50 things open at the same time and you don't want much of any slow down, you would be a lot better off with 8 GBs of RAM, though.

Thrashing is something that you definitely want to avoid, though, and the more RAM the merrier in that effort.

Anyway, 2x 2GBs should be plenty available even for the Biostar board.

This should work for you

Score
January 13, 2012 12:39:29 AM

It clearly says 800/1066/1333 on the website with no mention of 1600 anywhere, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be made to work.

Maybe some BIOS update can make it work at 1600 or maybe you can just put the 1600 RAM in and the computer would automatically reduce it to 1333.

I am not sure on those things, all I know is that it says it natively supports up to 1333, which means there could be some configuration problems involved with higher spec parts.

I would just stick with things that are natively supported if it was me. There isn't a huge difference between 1333 and 1600 most of the time, or between 2133 and 1333 for that matter. Most of the time RAM speed isn't the bottleneck.
Score
January 13, 2012 1:39:37 AM

BTW, you asked about switching to 64 bit by reinstalling and I forgot to address that point.

If you are able to, it would let you use 8 GB RAM which would be nice. Did your system come with a CD that had both 32 and 64 on it? When I bought my copy I had to pick one or the other.

Anyway, if you do go this route, you can either get the 2x 4GB that I linked to earlier or take one of the deals they have listed, preferably one that is 2x 4GB 1333 so it would be more likely to work with no headaches.
Score
January 13, 2012 3:10:36 AM

Yeah on the windows 7 cd it allows me to choose between 32 and 64 bit.
Score
January 13, 2012 3:32:20 AM

That's cool. Well, you have options for both ways, whichever way you decide to go with it.
Score
January 13, 2012 4:03:19 AM

Best answer selected by randomuser123.
Score
!