2500k or 2500? confused!

Solution

And from what I have heard overclocking a 2500k may even be better than an over clocked equivelant of ivy bridge. What is it? 3570k?? Which is a bummer, I was looking forward to the ivy bridge processor units. Now I do not know whether to wait a week until they come out or just buy a 2500k now and be happy.

niknovacain

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

And from what I have heard overclocking a 2500k may even be better than an over clocked equivelant of ivy bridge. What is it? 3570k?? Which is a bummer, I was looking forward to the ivy bridge processor units. Now I do not know whether to wait a week until they come out or just buy a 2500k now and be happy.

Solution

licktheenvelope

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

From what I understand you can push the overclock higher on SB due to temperatures remaining lower due to the size of the board (at least air cooling v air cooling).

Running at stock the IB will run slightly better... haven't read up on the 2500k v 3570k but the higher end difference is 5-12% depending on function.

Long story short: If you want to aggressively overclock you'll be better off on SB.

niknovacain

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Probably sticking with plan for Ivy Bridge. First build (done myself) and will be first build overclocking. Will probably only clock to 4.0 or so... Not much. Only using for Diablo 3 initially so the overclock will just be for "fun" with a bit of added performance I guess.