Which processor should I buy

riz89

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Hey guys, here's the deal

Currently I'm running an E8500 OC'd to 4.0Ghz on an Giga EP45-UD3P with 8GB ram @800Mhz. I've also got XFX HD 5770 in crossfire. Now my work mainly entails video editing on Premiere CS5, designing work on Illustrator and a bit of work on After Effects and Soundbooth/Audition. Now the E8500 does a very good job but I do feel the pinch at times especially when it comes to rendering and encoding the video files. That and also while I play Crysis 2 :p

Now that I've saved up for a bit, the question arises as to which processor to buy. For my new build, I'm keeping my options open but I don't want to spend too much because I'm still not earning enough out of the edits, as of now, to cover the cost of this upgrade. I'm looking for something that can justify the cost of the upgrade without being a burden on the pocket. I've kept an upper limit of USD 300 (yes I know I can get an i7 for 30 bucks more but I don't want to spend so much)

A side note, also part of this build will be a 128GB SSD and Corsair 16GB RAM. I'll be carrying over by Cooler Master 750W power supply and both my ATI cards (not to mention the 5TB of HDD's). Mobo will depend on the processor, and I've kept about USD 200 out for that (again, not spending 200 just on the mobo)

Thoughts?

InvalidError

Titan
Keep an eye on the i5-3570k if you are looking to buy in a few weeks where they may become more readily available. If your encoding software supports Intel's QuickSync, you will also be able to encode stuff ~3x faster than anything else currently on the market.

If you want to buy sooner than that then i5-2500k would probably be it.

Either of these OC'd to 4GHz would give you about twice the raw processing power you currently have.

riz89

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Will the wait be worth it? From what I've read, they have improved Intel HD graphics but that won't matter to me cause I have 2 gpus as it is. Clock speeds and the cache is pretty much the same. I don't believe the extra cost will be worth it.

InvalidError

Titan

The suggestion to use a 3570k is because of the unlocked multiplier and improved QuickSync, not HD4000. (Well, technically, QuickSync is part of the HD4000 silicon.)

Cost-wise, the 3570k is expected to be slightly cheaper than the 2500k so there is no "extra cost" there.

If you really want to save cash, you can drop to non-k models but then you have to practically give up on overclocking since most multipliers are locked.