System Crashes to Black Screen on all games and furmark after ~2min

I built my first computer roughly 7-8 months ago:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Case - Fractal Design R3
MoBo - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU - Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz (with Antec Kuhler 620)
GPU - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3-1600 CL9
HDD - Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
PSU - Corsair HX650
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Never Overclocked.

All has been fantastic without a problem, up until about 3 weeks ago.

Computer has started to crash to a Black Screen on all games (Steam & Non-Steam) after a couple of minutes.
I also tried Furmark yesterday which gave me the same problem, roughly same amount of time. Temps seemed okay, GPU was around 68-70c right before crash.
Non-gaming use has no issues that I have discovered.

Games which have crashed are Dirt 3, Battlefield 3, Metro 2033, L4D2, GTAIV - everything I have tried playing.

What happens:
- Screen goes black: This happens during gameplay and in game main menus also.
- GPU fan speed burst: A moment after the screen blacks out the 6870 gives a very brief burst up to what sounds like full fan speed before returning to normal after about a second.
- Audio looping: The last sound will loop quickly (buzzing effect) until the computer is rebooted.
- Everything unresponsive: Only solution is to manually restart with reset button on case.

Things I have tried:
- Rolling back AMD Catalyst drivers from 11.12 > 11.11 and 11.10. (Using Safe Mode & Drive Sweeper - this gave me more problems)
- Reinstalling Windows and applying newest updates.

I am now led to believe this is a hardware issue... Power Supply or Graphics Card??? Correct me if I can try other Software related things.

I am quite new to all this so any help as to narrow down what the problem is would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about system crashes black screen games furmark 2min
  1. Most likely it's a power or a heat issue. What are your temps, first of all?
  2. leave the side panel open to see if it last longer.
  3. pat said:
    leave the side panel open to see if it last longer.

Nah no difference, thanks.
  4. Also just tried Windows Memory Diagnostic, no problems.
  5. Did you ever find a solution for this? My 7970 just started doing ye exact same thing.... Except for the fan burst. Driving me nuts trying to figure it out!
  6. take out the gpu and test it in a working rig.
  7. Yea turned out it was faulty GPU, it was replaced.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems