Blue and orange merge - does it apply to TDMA

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the blue
and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out there with
any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...

Thanks,

Henry

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Hybyd2 wrote:
> I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the blue
> and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out there with
> any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Henry

When Orange acquired Blue, it included everything blue - no exceptions.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 02:04:11 GMT, "Hybyd2"
<hybyd2REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:

>I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the blue
>and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out there with
>any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...

All AT&T Wireless whether GSM or "TDMA" now are cingular and even have
the cingular operator identification on handsets.

- -

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

Up until last week when I dumped Cingular for Verizon, my phone still showed
AT&T Wireless on the gsm side, and AT&T on the TDMA.

-Ken
"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 02:04:11 GMT, "Hybyd2"
> <hybyd2REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the
blue
> >and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out there
with
> >any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...
>
> All AT&T Wireless whether GSM or "TDMA" now are cingular and even have
> the cingular operator identification on handsets.
>
> - -

russell

"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
> Hybyd2 wrote:
>> I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the
>> blue and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out
>> there with any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Henry
>

> When Orange acquired Blue, it included everything blue - no exceptions.
>
> --
> jer
> email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Yes, I do realize that. But on a practical / technical basis I wonder if
they've been doing anything other than migrating blue TDMA users to orange
GSM (in some places divestiture required them to turn over to a different
company). From a prepaid reselller who ought to know: "To the best of my
knowledge there are no plans to merge the two networks. In fact I have been
told that "[merging the two networks] is not going to happen.". Note the
above is strictly TDMA which the reseller sells. Hence my orginal question.
If anyone of knows of specifics of orange and blue TDMA merging (naturally,
which are not company confidential), I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks,

Henry

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Russell wrote:
> "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
>
>>Hybyd2 wrote:
>>
>>>I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the
>>>blue and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out
>>>there with any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Henry
>>

>>When Orange acquired Blue, it included everything blue - no exceptions.
>>
>>--
>>jer
>>email reply - I am not a 'ten'
>

> Yes, I do realize that. But on a practical / technical basis I wonder if
> they've been doing anything other than migrating blue TDMA users to orange
> GSM (in some places divestiture required them to turn over to a different
> company). From a prepaid reselller who ought to know: "To the best of my
> knowledge there are no plans to merge the two networks. In fact I have been
> told that "[merging the two networks] is not going to happen.". Note the
> above is strictly TDMA which the reseller sells. Hence my orginal question.
> If anyone of knows of specifics of orange and blue TDMA merging (naturally,
> which are not company confidential), I'd love to hear about them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Henry

Well, my Cingular buds tell me TDMA is being merged along with GSM -
they call it a re-homing process - which implies TDMA and GSM cell sites
are being swung to an orange switch. Yes, TDMA is shrinking as GSM
grows, but that doesn't mean TDMA is being left behind. Blue customers
have been merged into orange subscriber databases for quite a while now
- prepaid included.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:22:07 GMT, "Russell"
<russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:

> From a prepaid reselller who ought to know: "To the best of my
>knowledge there are no plans to merge the two networks. In fact I have been
>told that "[merging the two networks] is not going to happen.". Note the
>above is strictly TDMA which the reseller sells.

TDMA networks have been merged as well. For all practical purposes
AT&T Wireless no longer exists in any way.
- -

Why bother merging what you are shutting down? Although many times
corporations have done things I do not understand.

Russell wrote:
> "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
>
>>Hybyd2 wrote:
>>
>>>I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the
>>>blue and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out
>>>there with any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Henry
>>

>>When Orange acquired Blue, it included everything blue - no exceptions.
>>
>>--
>>jer
>>email reply - I am not a 'ten'
>

> Yes, I do realize that. But on a practical / technical basis I wonder if
> they've been doing anything other than migrating blue TDMA users to orange
> GSM (in some places divestiture required them to turn over to a different
> company). From a prepaid reselller who ought to know: "To the best of my
> knowledge there are no plans to merge the two networks. In fact I have been
> told that "[merging the two networks] is not going to happen.". Note the
> above is strictly TDMA which the reseller sells. Hence my orginal question.
> If anyone of knows of specifics of orange and blue TDMA merging (naturally,
> which are not company confidential), I'd love to hear about them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Henry

jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Ken V" <kenvtNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:V-

> Up until last week when I dumped Cingular for Verizon, my phone still
> showed
> AT&T Wireless on the gsm side, and AT&T on the TDMA.

I'm ready to switch out of Cingular, when my old ATTWS contract expires in
three weeks.

How do you like Verizon? What did they charge to set up an account?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

My wife gets a 6% discount through her work with verizon so that helped. The
signal coverage is great and you can't beat the 2 Samsung a670 camera flip
phones for $49 total after rebate. I also saved by combining two separate
Cingular accounts into one family share Americas choice plan. I had to pay a
$20 per line activation on a 2 year plan.

I would have renewed with Cingular, but the arrogance I was hit with in the
Cingular Store was unbelievable....the first thing the guy tells me is "Oh
your an AT&T customer....I say funny, my bill has been saying Cingular for
months....it went down hill from that point..and I left the store.

I'm finding that tons of my friends also have Verizon, so calls between
Verizon users are FREE anytime which is great.

-Ken

> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:22:07 GMT, "Russell"
> <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> From a prepaid reselller who ought to know: "To the best of my
>>knowledge there are no plans to merge the two networks. In fact I have
>>been
>>told that "[merging the two networks] is not going to happen.". Note the
>>above is strictly TDMA which the reseller sells.
>
> TDMA networks have been merged as well. For all practical purposes
> AT&T Wireless no longer exists in any way.
> - -

Could you explain the basis for this statement, Joseph? My evidence based
on the TDMA phones I own is to the contrary.

Anyone know if Florida has been merged? I don't live there but own prepaid
phones in that area code - hence my interest.

Russell

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:53:53 GMT, "Russell"
<russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:

>"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:22:07 GMT, "Russell"
>> <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>> From a prepaid reselller who ought to know: "To the best of my
>>>knowledge there are no plans to merge the two networks. In fact I have
>>>been
>>>told that "[merging the two networks] is not going to happen.". Note the
>>>above is strictly TDMA which the reseller sells.
>>
>> TDMA networks have been merged as well. For all practical purposes
>> AT&T Wireless no longer exists in any way.
>> - -
>
>Could you explain the basis for this statement, Joseph? My evidence based
>on the TDMA phones I own is to the contrary.
>
>Anyone know if Florida has been merged? I don't live there but own prepaid
>phones in that area code - hence my interest.

I'm only going by my "AT&T Wireless" IS-136 handsets both of which
changed over a month ago from AT&T to CINGULAR (all upper case.) I
assume that if it hasn't happened eventually it will that all areas
will have Cingular or CINGULAR on handsets.
- -

russell

> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:53:53 GMT, "Russell"
> <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> TDMA networks have been merged as well. For all practical purposes
>>> AT&T Wireless no longer exists in any way.
>>> - -
>>
>>Could you explain the basis for this statement, Joseph? My evidence based
>>on the TDMA phones I own is to the contrary.
>>
>>Anyone know if Florida has been merged? I don't live there but own
>>prepaid
>>phones in that area code - hence my interest.
>
> I'm only going by my "AT&T Wireless" IS-136 handsets both of which
> changed over a month ago from AT&T to CINGULAR (all upper case.) I
> assume that if it hasn't happened eventually it will that all areas
> will have Cingular or CINGULAR on handsets.
> - -

Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask whether
you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?
One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to be
done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.

Interestingly, my prepaid reseller now appears to be getting information
about the merge - they've yet to divulge anything but they say they hope to
do so soon.

Russell

dick

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:35:28 GMT, "Russell"
>Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask whether
>you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?
>One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
>AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
>sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to be
>done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.
>
>Interestingly, my prepaid reseller now appears to be getting information
>about the merge - they've yet to divulge anything but they say they hope to
>do so soon.
>
>Russell

Speaking of Seattle. We just came back from a 4,000 mile trip, which
included taking Stevens Pass from the Seattle area to Wenachee. Up on
the pass my wife's phone, which started life on the AT&T network had
full signal. My V551 which started on Cingular had no signal at all.
That seemed rather strange.

Dick

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:35:28 GMT, "Russell"
<russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:

>Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask whether
>you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?

I'm prepaid "AT&T Wireless" TDMA through the reseller Beyond Wireless.
My phone has an Arlington, Texas area code/phone number but I don't
think that makes any difference as far as what the network indicates.

>One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
>AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
>sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to be
>done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.
>
>Interestingly, my prepaid reseller now appears to be getting information
>about the merge - they've yet to divulge anything but they say they hope to
>do so soon.

Well, Beyond Wireless never said anything so I wouldn't know.
- -

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Russell wrote:
> "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:53:53 GMT, "Russell"
>><russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Could you explain the basis for this statement, Joseph? My evidence based
>>>on the TDMA phones I own is to the contrary.
>>>
>>>Anyone know if Florida has been merged? I don't live there but own
>>>prepaid
>>>phones in that area code - hence my interest.
>>
>>I'm only going by my "AT&T Wireless" IS-136 handsets both of which
>>changed over a month ago from AT&T to CINGULAR (all upper case.) I
>>assume that if it hasn't happened eventually it will that all areas
>>will have Cingular or CINGULAR on handsets.
>>- -
>

> Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask whether
> you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?
> One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
> AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
> sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to be
> done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.
>
> Interestingly, my prepaid reseller now appears to be getting information
> about the merge - they've yet to divulge anything but they say they hope to
> do so soon.
>
> Russell

As to whether a phone displays Cingular or ATTWS is simply a matter of
what the alpha tag for a given cell is programmed to provide. The alpha
tag has nothing to do with it's official merge status, and is provided
to all subscribers on the cell regardless of their service level. Both
companies (and now the one) have cells in strategic locations that have
alpha tags displaying the name of the business for which the cell is
provided - typically a microcell inside a bank or other large business
structure. It wouldn't be unusual for the alpha tag of two adjacent
cells to display two separate alpha tags, and the phone display will
switch from one to the other if a hand-off occurs.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

> "Ken V" <kenvtNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:V-
>
> > Up until last week when I dumped Cingular for Verizon, my phone still
> > showed
> > AT&T Wireless on the gsm side, and AT&T on the TDMA.
> >

> I'm ready to switch out of Cingular, when my old ATTWS contract expires in
> three weeks.
>
> How do you like Verizon? What did they charge to set up an account?

Check with others in your area to see how Verizon coverage is in your area.
Verizon charges a $20 per line activation fee so you can figure on that.
The Samsung phone deal is pretty sweet but I don't know how much longer it
will be in effect. If it expires they will probably replace it with
something equally as good.

One factor in your decision may be the number of people that you know, who
presently have Verizon Wireless. Like everyone else, they are offering free
calling to in network customers and if all your friends and family have VZW,
that can be a considerable savings. I subscribe to the minimum family plan
for our area, I think the most account minutes I have used in a month is
about 40. I have used well over 200 weekend or IN calling minutes, everyone
in my family is a VZW customer.

russell

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:35:28 GMT, "Russell"
>>Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask
>>whether
>>you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?
>>One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
>>AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
>>sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to
>>be
>>done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.
>>
>>Interestingly, my prepaid reseller now appears to be getting information
>>about the merge - they've yet to divulge anything but they say they hope
>>do so soon.
>>
>>Russell
>>

> Speaking of Seattle. We just came back from a 4,000 mile trip, which
> included taking Stevens Pass from the Seattle area to Wenachee. Up on
> the pass my wife's phone, which started life on the AT&T network had
> full signal. My V551 which started on Cingular had no signal at all.
> That seemed rather strange.
>
> Dick

The V551 is GSM (I believe). Does your wife also have a V551 or some other
GSM phone which would be logical if you're on the same family plan?

Russell

russell

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:35:28 GMT, "Russell"
> <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask
>>whether
>>you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?
>
> I'm prepaid "AT&T Wireless" TDMA through the reseller Beyond Wireless.
> My phone has an Arlington, Texas area code/phone number but I don't
> think that makes any difference as far as what the network indicates.

Thanks for the information, Joe. I'm in a slightly different situation with
the same reseller as you - but as I mention in the paragraph below
displaying CINGULAR does not necessarily mean you're operating on the merged
network.

>>One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
>>AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
>>sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to
>>be
>>done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.

Russell

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

It is alleged that Ken V claimed:

; I would have renewed with Cingular, but the arrogance I was hit with in the
; Cingular Store was unbelievable....the first thing the guy tells me is "Oh
; your an AT&T customer....I say funny, my bill has been saying Cingular for
; months....it went down hill from that point..and I left the store.

Just wait until you have to deal with Verizon Wireless customer
service.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"It's good to have things back to normal." (Lt. Cmdr. Ivanova, B5
"Eyes")

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

> Check with others in your area to see how Verizon coverage is in your area.
> Verizon charges a $20 per line activation fee so you can figure on that.
> The Samsung phone deal is pretty sweet but I don't know how much longer it
> will be in effect. If it expires they will probably replace it with
> something equally as good.

> One factor in your decision may be the number of people that you know, who
> presently have Verizon Wireless. Like everyone else, they are offering free
> calling to in network customers and if all your friends and family have VZW,
> that can be a considerable savings. I subscribe to the minimum family plan
> for our area, I think the most account minutes I have used in a month is
> about 40. I have used well over 200 weekend or IN calling minutes, everyone
> in my family is a VZW customer.

Wow...my plan runs between 3000 and 7000 minutes per month with two phones, with
on the phones used mainly in Canada. It's a strike contrast.

TH

Dick wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:35:28 GMT, "Russell"
> >Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask whether
> >you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?
> >One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
> >AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
> >sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to be
> >done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.
> >
> >Interestingly, my prepaid reseller now appears to be getting information
> >about the merge - they've yet to divulge anything but they say they hope to
> >do so soon.
> >
> >Russell
> >

> Speaking of Seattle. We just came back from a 4,000 mile trip, which
> included taking Stevens Pass from the Seattle area to Wenachee. Up on
> the pass my wife's phone, which started life on the AT&T network had
> full signal. My V551 which started on Cingular had no signal at all.
> That seemed rather strange.
>
> Dick

What kind of phone does your wife have?

TH

dick

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 00:07:30 -0400, Tropical Haven <email@example.net>
wrote:

>Dick wrote:

>> Speaking of Seattle. We just came back from a 4,000 mile trip, which
>> included taking Stevens Pass from the Seattle area to Wenachee. Up on
>> the pass my wife's phone, which started life on the AT&T network had
>> full signal. My V551 which started on Cingular had no signal at all.
>> That seemed rather strange.
>>
>> Dick
>
>What kind of phone does your wife have?
>
>TH

It's a Nokia 6010. Both are GSM of course. When we travel, signal
strengths on the two phones are usually pretty equal. This one time
it was completely different. Don't know what carriers were showing on
the phones at the time. Normally, they both show Cingular.

Dick

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:57:08 -0400, Tropical Haven <email@example.net>
wrote:

>Wow...my plan runs between 3000 and 7000 minutes per month with two phones, with
>on the phones used mainly in Canada. It's a strike contrast.

Who are you striking?

- -

"Hybyd2" <hybyd2REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote in message
>I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the blue
>and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out there
>with any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...

Cingular bought ALL of AT&T Wireless, AMPS, TDMA, and GSM.

I have not had a problem to speak of. I had an AT&T GSM plan and a DOR plan.
I did change them both to Cingulars GSM for the rollover minutes. But not
because of service problems.