Blue and orange merge - does it apply to TDMA

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the blue
and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out there with
any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...

Thanks,

Henry
40 answers Last reply
More about blue orange merge apply tdma
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    Hybyd2 wrote:
    > I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the blue
    > and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out there with
    > any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Henry

    When Orange acquired Blue, it included everything blue - no exceptions.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 02:04:11 GMT, "Hybyd2"
    <hybyd2REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:

    >I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the blue
    >and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out there with
    >any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...

    All AT&T Wireless whether GSM or "TDMA" now are cingular and even have
    the cingular operator identification on handsets.

    - -
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    Up until last week when I dumped Cingular for Verizon, my phone still showed
    AT&T Wireless on the gsm side, and AT&T on the TDMA.

    -Ken
    "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 02:04:11 GMT, "Hybyd2"
    > <hybyd2REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the
    blue
    > >and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out there
    with
    > >any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...
    >
    > All AT&T Wireless whether GSM or "TDMA" now are cingular and even have
    > the cingular operator identification on handsets.
    >
    > - -

  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
    > Hybyd2 wrote:
    >> I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the
    >> blue and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out
    >> there with any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Henry
    >

    > When Orange acquired Blue, it included everything blue - no exceptions.
    >
    > --
    > jer
    > email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Yes, I do realize that. But on a practical / technical basis I wonder if
    they've been doing anything other than migrating blue TDMA users to orange
    GSM (in some places divestiture required them to turn over to a different
    company). From a prepaid reselller who ought to know: "To the best of my
    knowledge there are no plans to merge the two networks. In fact I have been
    told that "[merging the two networks] is not going to happen.". Note the
    above is strictly TDMA which the reseller sells. Hence my orginal question.
    If anyone of knows of specifics of orange and blue TDMA merging (naturally,
    which are not company confidential), I'd love to hear about them.

    Thanks,

    Henry
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    Russell wrote:
    > "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hybyd2 wrote:
    >>
    >>>I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the
    >>>blue and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out
    >>>there with any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Henry
    >>

    >>When Orange acquired Blue, it included everything blue - no exceptions.
    >>
    >>--
    >>jer
    >>email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    >

    > Yes, I do realize that. But on a practical / technical basis I wonder if
    > they've been doing anything other than migrating blue TDMA users to orange
    > GSM (in some places divestiture required them to turn over to a different
    > company). From a prepaid reselller who ought to know: "To the best of my
    > knowledge there are no plans to merge the two networks. In fact I have been
    > told that "[merging the two networks] is not going to happen.". Note the
    > above is strictly TDMA which the reseller sells. Hence my orginal question.
    > If anyone of knows of specifics of orange and blue TDMA merging (naturally,
    > which are not company confidential), I'd love to hear about them.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Henry

    Well, my Cingular buds tell me TDMA is being merged along with GSM -
    they call it a re-homing process - which implies TDMA and GSM cell sites
    are being swung to an orange switch. Yes, TDMA is shrinking as GSM
    grows, but that doesn't mean TDMA is being left behind. Blue customers
    have been merged into orange subscriber databases for quite a while now
    - prepaid included.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:22:07 GMT, "Russell"
    <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:

    > From a prepaid reselller who ought to know: "To the best of my
    >knowledge there are no plans to merge the two networks. In fact I have been
    >told that "[merging the two networks] is not going to happen.". Note the
    >above is strictly TDMA which the reseller sells.

    TDMA networks have been merged as well. For all practical purposes
    AT&T Wireless no longer exists in any way.
    - -

    Why bother merging what you are shutting down? Although many times
    corporations have done things I do not understand.

    Russell wrote:
    > "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hybyd2 wrote:
    >>
    >>>I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the
    >>>blue and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out
    >>>there with any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Henry
    >>

    >>When Orange acquired Blue, it included everything blue - no exceptions.
    >>
    >>--
    >>jer
    >>email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    >

    > Yes, I do realize that. But on a practical / technical basis I wonder if
    > they've been doing anything other than migrating blue TDMA users to orange
    > GSM (in some places divestiture required them to turn over to a different
    > company). From a prepaid reselller who ought to know: "To the best of my
    > knowledge there are no plans to merge the two networks. In fact I have been
    > told that "[merging the two networks] is not going to happen.". Note the
    > above is strictly TDMA which the reseller sells. Hence my orginal question.
    > If anyone of knows of specifics of orange and blue TDMA merging (naturally,
    > which are not company confidential), I'd love to hear about them.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Henry

  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    "Ken V" <kenvtNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:V-

    > Up until last week when I dumped Cingular for Verizon, my phone still
    > showed
    > AT&T Wireless on the gsm side, and AT&T on the TDMA.

    I'm ready to switch out of Cingular, when my old ATTWS contract expires in
    three weeks.

    How do you like Verizon? What did they charge to set up an account?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    My wife gets a 6% discount through her work with verizon so that helped. The
    signal coverage is great and you can't beat the 2 Samsung a670 camera flip
    phones for $49 total after rebate. I also saved by combining two separate
    Cingular accounts into one family share Americas choice plan. I had to pay a
    $20 per line activation on a 2 year plan.

    I would have renewed with Cingular, but the arrogance I was hit with in the
    Cingular Store was unbelievable....the first thing the guy tells me is "Oh
    your an AT&T customer....I say funny, my bill has been saying Cingular for
    months....it went down hill from that point..and I left the store.

    I'm finding that tons of my friends also have Verizon, so calls between
    Verizon users are FREE anytime which is great.

    -Ken

    "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "Ken V" <kenvtNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:V-
    >
    > > Up until last week when I dumped Cingular for Verizon, my phone still
    > > showed
    > > AT&T Wireless on the gsm side, and AT&T on the TDMA.
    > >

    > I'm ready to switch out of Cingular, when my old ATTWS contract expires in
    > three weeks.
    >
    > How do you like Verizon? What did they charge to set up an account?

  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:22:07 GMT, "Russell"
    > <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >> From a prepaid reselller who ought to know: "To the best of my
    >>knowledge there are no plans to merge the two networks. In fact I have
    >>been
    >>told that "[merging the two networks] is not going to happen.". Note the
    >>above is strictly TDMA which the reseller sells.
    >
    > TDMA networks have been merged as well. For all practical purposes
    > AT&T Wireless no longer exists in any way.
    > - -

    Could you explain the basis for this statement, Joseph? My evidence based
    on the TDMA phones I own is to the contrary.

    Anyone know if Florida has been merged? I don't live there but own prepaid
    phones in that area code - hence my interest.

    Russell
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:53:53 GMT, "Russell"
    <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:

    >"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:22:07 GMT, "Russell"
    >> <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> From a prepaid reselller who ought to know: "To the best of my
    >>>knowledge there are no plans to merge the two networks. In fact I have
    >>>been
    >>>told that "[merging the two networks] is not going to happen.". Note the
    >>>above is strictly TDMA which the reseller sells.
    >>
    >> TDMA networks have been merged as well. For all practical purposes
    >> AT&T Wireless no longer exists in any way.
    >> - -
    >
    >Could you explain the basis for this statement, Joseph? My evidence based
    >on the TDMA phones I own is to the contrary.
    >
    >Anyone know if Florida has been merged? I don't live there but own prepaid
    >phones in that area code - hence my interest.

    I'm only going by my "AT&T Wireless" IS-136 handsets both of which
    changed over a month ago from AT&T to CINGULAR (all upper case.) I
    assume that if it hasn't happened eventually it will that all areas
    will have Cingular or CINGULAR on handsets.
    - -
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:53:53 GMT, "Russell"
    > <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:
    >

    >>"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> TDMA networks have been merged as well. For all practical purposes
    >>> AT&T Wireless no longer exists in any way.
    >>> - -
    >>
    >>Could you explain the basis for this statement, Joseph? My evidence based
    >>on the TDMA phones I own is to the contrary.
    >>
    >>Anyone know if Florida has been merged? I don't live there but own
    >>prepaid
    >>phones in that area code - hence my interest.
    >
    > I'm only going by my "AT&T Wireless" IS-136 handsets both of which
    > changed over a month ago from AT&T to CINGULAR (all upper case.) I
    > assume that if it hasn't happened eventually it will that all areas
    > will have Cingular or CINGULAR on handsets.
    > - -

    Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask whether
    you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?
    One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
    AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
    sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to be
    done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.

    Interestingly, my prepaid reseller now appears to be getting information
    about the merge - they've yet to divulge anything but they say they hope to
    do so soon.

    Russell
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:35:28 GMT, "Russell"
    >Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask whether
    >you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?
    >One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
    >AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
    >sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to be
    >done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.
    >
    >Interestingly, my prepaid reseller now appears to be getting information
    >about the merge - they've yet to divulge anything but they say they hope to
    >do so soon.
    >
    >Russell

    Speaking of Seattle. We just came back from a 4,000 mile trip, which
    included taking Stevens Pass from the Seattle area to Wenachee. Up on
    the pass my wife's phone, which started life on the AT&T network had
    full signal. My V551 which started on Cingular had no signal at all.
    That seemed rather strange.

    Dick
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:35:28 GMT, "Russell"
    <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:

    >Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask whether
    >you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?

    I'm prepaid "AT&T Wireless" TDMA through the reseller Beyond Wireless.
    My phone has an Arlington, Texas area code/phone number but I don't
    think that makes any difference as far as what the network indicates.

    >One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
    >AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
    >sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to be
    >done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.
    >
    >Interestingly, my prepaid reseller now appears to be getting information
    >about the merge - they've yet to divulge anything but they say they hope to
    >do so soon.

    Well, Beyond Wireless never said anything so I wouldn't know.
    - -
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    Russell wrote:
    > "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:53:53 GMT, "Russell"
    >><russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>>Could you explain the basis for this statement, Joseph? My evidence based
    >>>on the TDMA phones I own is to the contrary.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone know if Florida has been merged? I don't live there but own
    >>>prepaid
    >>>phones in that area code - hence my interest.
    >>
    >>I'm only going by my "AT&T Wireless" IS-136 handsets both of which
    >>changed over a month ago from AT&T to CINGULAR (all upper case.) I
    >>assume that if it hasn't happened eventually it will that all areas
    >>will have Cingular or CINGULAR on handsets.
    >>- -
    >

    > Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask whether
    > you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?
    > One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
    > AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
    > sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to be
    > done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.
    >
    > Interestingly, my prepaid reseller now appears to be getting information
    > about the merge - they've yet to divulge anything but they say they hope to
    > do so soon.
    >
    > Russell

    As to whether a phone displays Cingular or ATTWS is simply a matter of
    what the alpha tag for a given cell is programmed to provide. The alpha
    tag has nothing to do with it's official merge status, and is provided
    to all subscribers on the cell regardless of their service level. Both
    companies (and now the one) have cells in strategic locations that have
    alpha tags displaying the name of the business for which the cell is
    provided - typically a microcell inside a bank or other large business
    structure. It wouldn't be unusual for the alpha tag of two adjacent
    cells to display two separate alpha tags, and the phone display will
    switch from one to the other if a hand-off occurs.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    > "Ken V" <kenvtNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:V-
    >
    > > Up until last week when I dumped Cingular for Verizon, my phone still
    > > showed
    > > AT&T Wireless on the gsm side, and AT&T on the TDMA.
    > >

    > I'm ready to switch out of Cingular, when my old ATTWS contract expires in
    > three weeks.
    >
    > How do you like Verizon? What did they charge to set up an account?

    Check with others in your area to see how Verizon coverage is in your area.
    Verizon charges a $20 per line activation fee so you can figure on that.
    The Samsung phone deal is pretty sweet but I don't know how much longer it
    will be in effect. If it expires they will probably replace it with
    something equally as good.

    One factor in your decision may be the number of people that you know, who
    presently have Verizon Wireless. Like everyone else, they are offering free
    calling to in network customers and if all your friends and family have VZW,
    that can be a considerable savings. I subscribe to the minimum family plan
    for our area, I think the most account minutes I have used in a month is
    about 40. I have used well over 200 weekend or IN calling minutes, everyone
    in my family is a VZW customer.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:35:28 GMT, "Russell"
    >>Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask
    >>whether
    >>you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?
    >>One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
    >>AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
    >>sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to
    >>be
    >>done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.
    >>
    >>Interestingly, my prepaid reseller now appears to be getting information
    >>about the merge - they've yet to divulge anything but they say they hope
    >>do so soon.
    >>
    >>Russell
    >>

    > Speaking of Seattle. We just came back from a 4,000 mile trip, which
    > included taking Stevens Pass from the Seattle area to Wenachee. Up on
    > the pass my wife's phone, which started life on the AT&T network had
    > full signal. My V551 which started on Cingular had no signal at all.
    > That seemed rather strange.
    >
    > Dick

    The V551 is GSM (I believe). Does your wife also have a V551 or some other
    GSM phone which would be logical if you're on the same family plan?

    Russell
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:35:28 GMT, "Russell"
    > <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask
    >>whether
    >>you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?
    >
    > I'm prepaid "AT&T Wireless" TDMA through the reseller Beyond Wireless.
    > My phone has an Arlington, Texas area code/phone number but I don't
    > think that makes any difference as far as what the network indicates.

    Thanks for the information, Joe. I'm in a slightly different situation with
    the same reseller as you - but as I mention in the paragraph below
    displaying CINGULAR does not necessarily mean you're operating on the merged
    network.

    >>One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
    >>AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
    >>sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to
    >>be
    >>done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.

    Russell
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    It is alleged that Ken V claimed:

    ; I would have renewed with Cingular, but the arrogance I was hit with in the
    ; Cingular Store was unbelievable....the first thing the guy tells me is "Oh
    ; your an AT&T customer....I say funny, my bill has been saying Cingular for
    ; months....it went down hill from that point..and I left the store.

    Just wait until you have to deal with Verizon Wireless customer
    service.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "It's good to have things back to normal." (Lt. Cmdr. Ivanova, B5
    "Eyes")
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    > Check with others in your area to see how Verizon coverage is in your area.
    > Verizon charges a $20 per line activation fee so you can figure on that.
    > The Samsung phone deal is pretty sweet but I don't know how much longer it
    > will be in effect. If it expires they will probably replace it with
    > something equally as good.

    > One factor in your decision may be the number of people that you know, who
    > presently have Verizon Wireless. Like everyone else, they are offering free
    > calling to in network customers and if all your friends and family have VZW,
    > that can be a considerable savings. I subscribe to the minimum family plan
    > for our area, I think the most account minutes I have used in a month is
    > about 40. I have used well over 200 weekend or IN calling minutes, everyone
    > in my family is a VZW customer.

    Wow...my plan runs between 3000 and 7000 minutes per month with two phones, with
    on the phones used mainly in Canada. It's a strike contrast.

    TH
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Dick wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:35:28 GMT, "Russell"
    > >Joseph, of I go by your email address, you're in Seattle. Can I ask whether
    > >you're a TDMA prepaid customer or a direct former AT&T blue TDMA customer?
    > >One thing I'm not sure is whether the phone now saying CINGULAR instead of
    > >AT&T is an indication that the merge is complete. While saying AT&T is a
    > >sure indication that no merge has occurred I don't believe more needs to be
    > >done at the infrastructure level than getting the towers to emit CINGULAR.
    > >
    > >Interestingly, my prepaid reseller now appears to be getting information
    > >about the merge - they've yet to divulge anything but they say they hope to
    > >do so soon.
    > >
    > >Russell
    > >

    > Speaking of Seattle. We just came back from a 4,000 mile trip, which
    > included taking Stevens Pass from the Seattle area to Wenachee. Up on
    > the pass my wife's phone, which started life on the AT&T network had
    > full signal. My V551 which started on Cingular had no signal at all.
    > That seemed rather strange.
    >
    > Dick

    What kind of phone does your wife have?

    TH
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 00:07:30 -0400, Tropical Haven <email@example.net>
    wrote:

    >Dick wrote:

    >> Speaking of Seattle. We just came back from a 4,000 mile trip, which
    >> included taking Stevens Pass from the Seattle area to Wenachee. Up on
    >> the pass my wife's phone, which started life on the AT&T network had
    >> full signal. My V551 which started on Cingular had no signal at all.
    >> That seemed rather strange.
    >>
    >> Dick
    >
    >What kind of phone does your wife have?
    >
    >TH

    It's a Nokia 6010. Both are GSM of course. When we travel, signal
    strengths on the two phones are usually pretty equal. This one time
    it was completely different. Don't know what carriers were showing on
    the phones at the time. Normally, they both show Cingular.

    Dick
  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:57:08 -0400, Tropical Haven <email@example.net>
    wrote:

    >Wow...my plan runs between 3000 and 7000 minutes per month with two phones, with
    >on the phones used mainly in Canada. It's a strike contrast.

    Who are you striking?

    - -
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    "Hybyd2" <hybyd2REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the blue
    >and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out there
    >with any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...

    Cingular bought ALL of AT&T Wireless, AMPS, TDMA, and GSM.

    I have not had a problem to speak of. I had an AT&T GSM plan and a DOR plan.
    I did change them both to Cingulars GSM for the rollover minutes. But not
    because of service problems.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    "Russell" <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote in message

    > Hence my orginal question. If anyone of knows of specifics of orange and
    > blue TDMA merging (naturally, which are not company confidential), I'd
    > love to hear about them.

    I know that they merged all of the systems, AMPS, TDMA and GSM.

    In some areas where Cingular aquired the "other" frequency spectrum, they
    installed new dual band antennas on towers to consolidate sites into one
    "ground structure" where they had two sites on the same tower or close by
    towers.

    For instance in Southern LA, Cingular had the cellular frequencies and
    aquired the PCS frequencies in the deal. In Northern LA it was reversed.

    Cingular also has been changing out buildings at sites to get more floor
    space for the migration of the two systems to a common ground struture.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    cingular would definitely want to launch gsm on all of it's licensed
    spectrum. But that does not mean that they want to or would launch tdma
    on all of it's spectrum. It definitely does not mean that they have
    launched analog on PCS. Only digital is allowed on PCS.

    John S. wrote:
    > "Russell" <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>Hence my orginal question. If anyone of knows of specifics of orange and
    >>blue TDMA merging (naturally, which are not company confidential), I'd
    >>love to hear about them.
    >

    > I know that they merged all of the systems, AMPS, TDMA and GSM.
    >
    > In some areas where Cingular aquired the "other" frequency spectrum, they
    > installed new dual band antennas on towers to consolidate sites into one
    > "ground structure" where they had two sites on the same tower or close by
    > towers.
    >
    > For instance in Southern LA, Cingular had the cellular frequencies and
    > aquired the PCS frequencies in the deal. In Northern LA it was reversed.
    >
    > Cingular also has been changing out buildings at sites to get more floor
    > space for the migration of the two systems to a common ground struture.

  27. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Well, technically, I don't see why a carrier couldn't use AMPS on 1900 mHz if it
    was willing to invest enough money into the development. But from an economical
    standpoint, it wouldn't make any sense. It would be like Compaq coming out with
    a new home PC, running on vacuum tubes. Possible, but not plausible.

    TH

    > cingular would definitely want to launch gsm on all of it's licensed
    > spectrum. But that does not mean that they want to or would launch tdma
    > on all of it's spectrum. It definitely does not mean that they have
    > launched analog on PCS. Only digital is allowed on PCS.
    >
    > John S. wrote:
    > > "Russell" <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >

    > >>Hence my orginal question. If anyone of knows of specifics of orange and
    > >>blue TDMA merging (naturally, which are not company confidential), I'd
    > >>love to hear about them.
    > >

    > > I know that they merged all of the systems, AMPS, TDMA and GSM.
    > >
    > > In some areas where Cingular aquired the "other" frequency spectrum, they
    > > installed new dual band antennas on towers to consolidate sites into one
    > > "ground structure" where they had two sites on the same tower or close by
    > > towers.
    > >
    > > For instance in Southern LA, Cingular had the cellular frequencies and
    > > aquired the PCS frequencies in the deal. In Northern LA it was reversed.
    > >
    > > Cingular also has been changing out buildings at sites to get more floor
    > > space for the migration of the two systems to a common ground struture.

  28. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Tropical Haven wrote:
    > Well, technically, I don't see why a carrier couldn't use AMPS on 1900 mHz if it
    > was willing to invest enough money into the development. But from an economical
    > standpoint, it wouldn't make any sense. It would be like Compaq coming out with
    > a new home PC, running on vacuum tubes. Possible, but not plausible.
    >
    > TH

    While it may be technically possible for AMPS to exist on 1900, the FCC
    may have issues with it. A carrier's license includes how the frequency
    is to be used, ie, type of signal, modulation, xmitter power, gain and
    elevation of antenna, propagation pattern, time of day, etc. I'm not an
    RF engineer, nor do I play one on the internet, but if a carrier's
    intended use as explained in their application creates a risk of
    interference to others, the application could be denied. Maybe there's
    something about the 1900 band that precludes it's use for AMPS service.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    It could not use analog on PCS, because the FCC will not allow it.

    Tropical Haven wrote:
    > Well, technically, I don't see why a carrier couldn't use AMPS on 1900 mHz if it
    > was willing to invest enough money into the development. But from an economical
    > standpoint, it wouldn't make any sense. It would be like Compaq coming out with
    > a new home PC, running on vacuum tubes. Possible, but not plausible.
    >
    > TH
    >

    >> cingular would definitely want to launch gsm on all of it's licensed
    >>spectrum. But that does not mean that they want to or would launch tdma
    >>on all of it's spectrum. It definitely does not mean that they have
    >>launched analog on PCS. Only digital is allowed on PCS.
    >>
    >>John S. wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Russell" <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote in message

    >>>I know that they merged all of the systems, AMPS, TDMA and GSM.
    >>>
    >>>In some areas where Cingular aquired the "other" frequency spectrum, they
    >>>installed new dual band antennas on towers to consolidate sites into one
    >>>"ground structure" where they had two sites on the same tower or close by
    >>>towers.
    >>>
    >>>For instance in Southern LA, Cingular had the cellular frequencies and
    >>>aquired the PCS frequencies in the deal. In Northern LA it was reversed.
    >>>
    >>>Cingular also has been changing out buildings at sites to get more floor
    >>>space for the migration of the two systems to a common ground struture.

  30. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > cingular would definitely want to launch gsm on all of it's licensed
    > spectrum. But that does not mean that they want to or would launch tdma
    > on all of it's spectrum. It definitely does not mean that they have
    > launched analog on PCS. Only digital is allowed on PCS.

    Your understanding of what I wrote is definatly lacking. Your understanding
    of PCS is also lacking. NOTHING in the license process defines what
    technology can be used on the PCS band. They could have used AMPS if the
    individual carrier wanted to. They just CHOSE to use CDMA/TDMA/GSM.

    What I said is that all of the AT&T system has been merged into the Cingular
    system and it is now one.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > While it may be technically possible for AMPS to exist on 1900, the FCC
    > may have issues with it. A carrier's license includes how the frequency
    > is to be used, ie, type of signal, modulation, xmitter power, gain and
    > elevation of antenna, propagation pattern, time of day, etc.

    Actually, the FCC sold the spectrum and there are no technology limitations
    imposed das you describe. The carriers can use the technology any way they
    want.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > It could not use analog on PCS, because the FCC will not allow it.

    You will eventually read my other postings and realize that you are
    incorrect.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "John S." <john@mocha-n-micro-chips.com> wrote in message

    > What I said is that all of the AT&T system has been merged into the
    > Cingular system and it is now one.

    I'd be most interested in knowing the basis for this last statement. This
    is in no way to imply that it's incorrect, just asking how you "know" it.

    Russell
  34. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > "John S." <john@mocha-n-micro-chips.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> What I said is that all of the AT&T system has been merged into the
    >> Cingular system and it is now one.
    >
    > I'd be most interested in knowing the basis for this last statement. This
    > is in no way to imply that it's incorrect, just asking how you "know" it.

    I am a telecommunications consultant and am heavily involved in the merger,
    technically at the switch/BTS level.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    I have read your other postings and believe you are incorrect.

    John S. wrote:
    > "Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>It could not use analog on PCS, because the FCC will not allow it.
    >

    > You will eventually read my other postings and realize that you are
    > incorrect.

  36. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > "Russell" <russell7702REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "John S." <john@mocha-n-micro-chips.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> What I said is that all of the AT&T system has been merged into the
    >>> Cingular system and it is now one.
    >>
    >> I'd be most interested in knowing the basis for this last statement.
    >> This is in no way to imply that it's incorrect, just asking how you
    >> "know" it.
    >
    > I am a telecommunications consultant and am heavily involved in the
    > merger, technically at the switch/BTS level.

    John,

    My direct interest in this is being a prepaid TDMA customer of one of the
    resellers on what was the AT&T blue network. Are you saying that blue TDMA
    and orange TDMA are merged in all markets? If yes, does this mean that
    prepaid customers have also access to what was the orange TDMA towers? Feel
    free to send me email - the "spam proofing" in my return address is fairly
    obvious.

    Russell
  37. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    I am sorry about the attitude at the corp store. I work for an
    authorized agent and would be fired if I acted like that. Cingular is
    migrating all ATT customers into cingular accounts even as we become
    one company. It is cheaper to run one computer system as well as all
    the different departments. Cingular corporate stores have strict
    rules of customer service but our small agents seem to care more about
    cutomers when secret shopped. Once again I am sorry.

    On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:29:01 -0400, "Ken V" <kenvtNOSPAM@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >My wife gets a 6% discount through her work with verizon so that helped. The
    >signal coverage is great and you can't beat the 2 Samsung a670 camera flip
    >phones for $49 total after rebate. I also saved by combining two separate
    >Cingular accounts into one family share Americas choice plan. I had to pay a
    >$20 per line activation on a 2 year plan.
    >
    >I would have renewed with Cingular, but the arrogance I was hit with in the
    >Cingular Store was unbelievable....the first thing the guy tells me is "Oh
    >your an AT&T customer....I say funny, my bill has been saying Cingular for
    >months....it went down hill from that point..and I left the store.
    >
    >I'm finding that tons of my friends also have Verizon, so calls between
    >Verizon users are FREE anytime which is great.
    >
    >-Ken
    >

    >"Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ken V" <kenvtNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:V-
    >>
    >> > Up until last week when I dumped Cingular for Verizon, my phone still
    >> > showed
    >> > AT&T Wireless on the gsm side, and AT&T on the TDMA.
    >> >

    >> I'm ready to switch out of Cingular, when my old ATTWS contract expires in
    >> three weeks.
    >>
    >> How do you like Verizon? What did they charge to set up an account?

  38. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Can you provide a link to the FCC site that says AMPS is not allowed on 1900 mHz in
    the United States?

    TH

    Jerome Zelinske wrote:

    > It could not use analog on PCS, because the FCC will not allow it.
    >
    > Tropical Haven wrote:
    > > Well, technically, I don't see why a carrier couldn't use AMPS on 1900 mHz if it
    > > was willing to invest enough money into the development. But from an economical
    > > standpoint, it wouldn't make any sense. It would be like Compaq coming out with
    > > a new home PC, running on vacuum tubes. Possible, but not plausible.
    > >
    > > TH
    > >

    > >> cingular would definitely want to launch gsm on all of it's licensed
    > >>spectrum. But that does not mean that they want to or would launch tdma
    > >>on all of it's spectrum. It definitely does not mean that they have
    > >>launched analog on PCS. Only digital is allowed on PCS.

  39. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Tropical Haven" <email@example.net> wrote in message

    > Do you have a TDMA plan or a GSM plan?

    TDMA. I should have converted to a GSM plan back when I was on ATTWS, but
    as I recall, my existing TDMA plan was a better deal. Last July, ATTWS
    offered to add some features, like more minutes, 7 PM N/W and free mobile to
    mobile, if I would agree to a one year contract (by that point, my original
    contract had completed its term and was now on month-to-month).

    I asked how long TDMA would be up and the rep said at least 5 more
    years--ten maybe. I didn't count on Cingular's refusal to treat
    long-standing customers any different than someone that just came in off the
    street.

    I am clearly biased against Cingular. I'd do better to go elsewhere. Less
    aggravation. And some degree of satisfaction in knowing that they failed to
    push me around. What jerks they are.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    Your best bet is to contact Cingular online and purchase a new GSM handset.
    Online you will get the best price and shipping is pretty fast. They will
    charge you an $18 activation fee, but you can get a free phone out of it
    usually.

    -Nick

    "Hybyd2" <hybyd2REMOVE@THISearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I do realize TDMA is dying. Anyone know if any of this merging of the blue
    >and orange networks applies to TDMA? Any blue TDMA customers out there
    >with any merge experience? I'd love to hear about it ...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Henry

Cingular Internet Service Providers