Uncapping my internet connection

johnh2005

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Hello,
I have just had AT&T Uverse installed and they have very obviously capped my download speed at 11.5Mb/sec. Is there any way I can work around their capped speeds? Loading new firmware onto the router? Changing any settings? Anything at all? I think its malarky that they cap the speeds at all =(

G

I rather think the cap, if any, is applied at their end.

In any case we probably shouldn't encourage users to do as you propose. After all your agreement with them is for a link at "up to" whatever speed and presumably they are meeting those terms.

I think I would look at any measures you can not to degrade the speed yourself so if possible avoid wireless.

johnh2005

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I am paying for 12Mb/sec and the last four or so days I have been getting 1.5Mb/sec. I am using thier ATT uverse 2wire modem. They have sent out two techs and the only way they can get near my paid for speeds is by allowing 18 Mb/sec at thier end but then they turn it back to 12 and I slow to a crawl at 1.5.

johnh2005

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I rather think the cap, if any, is applied at their end.

In any case we probably shouldn't encourage users to do as you propose. After all your agreement with them is for a link at "up to" whatever speed and presumably they are meeting those terms.

I think I would look at any measures you can not to degrade the speed yourself so if possible avoid wireless.

The cap is probably applied at their end. That is probably where the problem is. I am paying for an "Garuanteed 12Mb/sec line and the first two days I stayed constant at 11.5. Then it went to crap and has been stuck at 1.5 or so the last four days or so. They most definitely are NOT meeting the terms and they have had two techs out to try to fix it. I am not doing anything to degrade the speed my self and I am getting these speeds wired directly into their modem.

Are you sure it is 1.5Mb\s you are getting and not 1.5 MB\s which would be 12 Mb\s ?? (Since there are 8 bits to each Byte 1.5MB = 12Mb ). Also where are you downloading from ? the download speed you get will also depend on the speed of the server you are downloading from since you can only receive it as fast as the server sends it. (try running several speed tests to different servers to see if it might be a slow download server you are connecting to.

I have a 12Mbs line through Uverse also and have never had problems maintaining close to that speed when testing the line speed.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

^ This

12Mb = 1.5MB

Make sure you're checking the correct units.

johnh2005

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
With Time Warner I was pushing around 35Mb/s When I first switched over to UVerse I was getting 11.5Mb/s. After a couple of days it dropped to 1.5Mb/s. This is tested across 5 servers on speakeasy.net/speedtest and Speedtest.net using about 9 different servers coast to coast. They were supposed to call me back Sunday and send a third rep to my house to look things over but of course they never came and never bothered to call. I will be on the phone with them soon again to give them a piece of my lagging interwebz! :kaola:

If using the Uverse 2wire router - open an internet window and type in http://gateway.2wire.net/ and hit enter and it will take you into the settings menu - go to the broadband tab and look at the speed settings.

You can also get a user version of the testing tools Uverse uses called U-verse Realtime (download Link ) - so you can see some of the different info like connection speed settings etc. that might prove useful.