Sign in with
Your question

XFX HD5770 -- no ATI DVI to HDMI connector?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2011 11:00:18 PM

Dear all,

I'm trying to wire my XFX Radeon HD5770 up to a TV. After some searching around the web, I have the impression that I should be able to send audio as well as video through a special ATI DVI to HDMI cable (or special converter + normal HDMI cable). Only problem is, the posts I've found say that the relevant converter comes with the card. I don't think I received one, but it's just about possible that I've misplaced it, so I wanted to ask if anyone else had received one with a XFX card...

Thanks!
M.
November 14, 2011 11:08:35 PM

burbly said:
Dear all,

I'm trying to wire my XFX Radeon HD5770 up to a TV. After some searching around the web, I have the impression that I should be able to send audio as well as video through a special ATI DVI to HDMI cable (or special converter + normal HDMI cable). Only problem is, the posts I've found say that the relevant converter comes with the card. I don't think I received one, but it's just about possible that I've misplaced it, so I wanted to ask if anyone else had received one with a XFX card...

Thanks!
M.

All you should need is a regular HDMI cable. Then in your playback options on your computer set AMD HDMI output as default. All the 5xxx series have audio integrated with the HDMI output.
Related resources
November 14, 2011 11:12:54 PM

DVI carries only video information no audio at all. DVI has exactly the same video information as HDMI.
November 14, 2011 11:17:44 PM

@Goodeggray: apparently ATI have messed with the DVI outputs on their more recent cards so that they carry audio information. But you need a special converter, because regular converters don't preserve that information. Or at least, that's what I have picked up from Googling for a while. (See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=punAgaQcBN4 for a less charitable interpretation of why you need a special converter.)

Edit:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=1768307...

looks like a definitive explanation of what's going on.
November 14, 2011 11:26:17 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

In this picture I see two DVIs, one displayport, and one HDMI. You said it was XFX, correct? If you are missing the HDMI port, which you shouldn't be, then you can just use a displayport to HDMI connector. This should be able to carry both audio and video to your TV.
November 14, 2011 11:30:15 PM

Perhaps you don't have two PCI slots punched out in your case? I'm almost 100% sure the entire 5xxx series has HDMI outputs.
November 14, 2011 11:47:22 PM

your single slot card have also hdmi 1.3
November 14, 2011 11:55:30 PM

@scout_03:

The only slot I can see (other than the DVI) looks more rectangular than HDMI, and has 'DP' written next to it. I've just taken off the side of the case and I can't spot anything else inside either. I'm probably doing something stupid... could you give me a bit more information on where I should look?

Thanks,
M.
November 15, 2011 12:01:16 AM

burbly said:
@scout_03:

The only slot I can see (other than the DVI) looks more rectangular than HDMI, and has 'DP' written next to it. I've just taken off the side of the case and I can't spot anything else inside either. I'm probably doing something stupid... could you give me a bit more information on where I should look?

Thanks,
M.

That would be a Display Port plug. A DP to HDMI adapter would do the job.
November 15, 2011 12:03:49 AM

We could be of more help if you could post a link to your specific model card. Or a picture.
November 15, 2011 7:26:00 AM

@scout_03: that's the one.

@Inanition02: HD-577X-ZMF3
http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-ati-radeon-5770-hd-1gb...

(BTW, for future reference, is there a piece of software which will list model numbers? I got this one by digging out the box for the card, then used Google to cross-refer with dabs. My original emails from dabs definitely didn't have information about the model.)

Looking on dabs (where I ordered the card from) confirms that it's a Mini DP output. So I've ordered the mini-DP-> HDMI converter + a long HDMI cable; now I just need to keep my fingers crossed, I think. Thank you all for the help!
December 17, 2011 1:14:43 PM

burbly said:
@scout_03: that's the one.

@Inanition02: HD-577X-ZMF3
http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-ati-radeon-5770-hd-1gb...

(BTW, for future reference, is there a piece of software which will list model numbers? I got this one by digging out the box for the card, then used Google to cross-refer with dabs. My original emails from dabs definitely didn't have information about the model.)

Looking on dabs (where I ordered the card from) confirms that it's a Mini DP output. So I've ordered the mini-DP-> HDMI converter + a long HDMI cable; now I just need to keep my fingers crossed, I think. Thank you all for the help!

And the result?
I got A XFX HD5770 (HD-577A-ZNFC)
Using A 15m HDMI High speed. When connecting to HDMI on GPU a get max res. 720p,
using DVI to HDMI converter no problem with 1080p but no sound.
I orderd a DisplayPort - HDMI converter (labled with sound) to se if i get full res and sound.

Best Nils
December 17, 2011 9:35:06 PM

Sorry -- I really should have replied earlier. It works fine; I get picture and sound. (You have to select the 'ATI' sound output.)

BTW, you can't clone the video -- or at least I can't -- because I have different resolutions on the monitor and the TV. But you can configure the things that the two video outputs are next to each other; so if you move the mouse off the right hand side of the monitor it appears on the TV screen. The OS (or whatever) is actually quite intelligent about which monitor it uses when you e.g. try to full-screen something.
December 18, 2011 6:51:12 AM

Thanks for the replay.
Yes I cant duplicate due tö 1020p and 720p
!