What would you do in my situation?

toneekay

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Okay, so I recently built my new rig a few weeks ago... I LOVE IT! However, there's a few things that's came to my attention that I DO NOT LIKE.

Current rig:
- ASRock EX3 GEN3
- RIPJAWS X
- XFX 850W (non-modular)
- Fractal Design Arc Midi case
- MSI Twin Frozr GTX 560 Ti

Dislikes:
- Second PCIe slot is too close to the bottom (can interfere with internal audio/usb connections if SLI; tight fit)
- 850W PSU is suppose to power my SLI'd rig, however I did not get modular and there's more wires than I expected
- Motherboard does not have internal USB 3.0 (my case does)

I need help choosing either:
1) Get new motherboard with PCIe slots placed better + USB 3.0, leave PSU alone, pick up second card, and run SLI.
2) Leave motherboard, upgrade to a stronger single gpu (AMD 7XXX or Nvidia 7XX [late release]), pick up a smaller (maybe 650W) PSU that is MODULAR.

*Right now my computer runs great with no flaws... However, it's just those little things that bother me that I want to get situated before I can move on. What would you guys do in my shoes?

Solution
Adding the fan at the bottom is a good idea and I was going to suggest that but I didn't know how much you were willing to do to keep the current setup. As I said before with a good air flow inside your computer there should be no heat issues and the psu shouldn't give off that much heat. From your picture it looks like the psu has the fan on the bottom and the case has an opening in the bottom so that the fan is drawing in cooler air from outside the case which is even better. You really should have no heat issues from the psu.

rvilkman

Distinguished
As long as you have only a 2 slot video card, the mobo should be fine.

If you can get your 560Ti dumped somewhere for cash and get the 7970 and it fits your case, then 7970 would be a very nice option indeed.
Performance is quite close between 560TI SLI and 7970. But then unless you are rocking 3x 1080p resolution or 2560x1600 you probably don't even need the extra juice :)

But if you do want better stuff for the motherboard.
Asus P8Z68-V or PRO Gen3 is an option of course.
MSI Also has some Gen3 offerings such as Z68A-GD65 Gen3
Both near the $200 mark.
And at least the asus boards have the internal USB3 header.

Usually a few zipties is enough to get rid of your cabling problem and you don't seem to have so much storage devices that the cables should still fit in there even if they might not look pretty.

Modular PSU's are nice and all, but you have a nice solid unit, just work a bit on tying the cables together and place them properly in the case and you should be ok. If you do decide to go with a new one. Corsair AX/HX, Seasonic X series rock, and the XFX XXX is not bad either.

You don't actually have to do anything like return the MB or video cards. You can start by getting this;

Koutech Dual Channel USB 3.0 PCI Express Card w/ USB3 ICC & 15-pin SATA Power Connector Model IO-PEU235
$29.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815201043

It's currently out of stock at Newegg but it will provide a 20 pin connector for the front pannel usb port and if the connection doesn't have the 20 pin but a usb standard connector then you could get this;

Koutech 4-Port USB 3.0 PCI Express (x1) with 15-pin SATA Power Connector Model IO-PEU430
$29.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815201044

The motherboard's bottom pci-e slot will be ok for a second card as the card will only cover the pci slot next to it. I had a similar situation and the card did not interfere with the bottom row of connections.
The non-modular psu is good size and you should keep it and just work the cables into a position where they don't interfere with anything. It might take a little work but it's better than exchanging it and going through that process.

toneekay

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

I was eyeballing ASRocks PRO Gen3, and it sure does look awesome, but with a $255 tag on it, that's kind of steap! The Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P also looks like a good candidate for a cheaper $175 price... If I do end up getting a new board, I'll probably pick this up :)

After reading all the horrible reviews on this particular PSU I have, I was kind of nervous about making the purchase, but damn I did it anyway and glad I did! It's an awesome unit and I'd be sad to let it go... I'll probably try to do a little more cable management behind the board to see if it'll fit better... I mean, my side panel closes, but I feel like all the wires are just tangled everywhere behind there.

Hey thanks for finding those pcie-usb3 adapters! I didn't even know they had those... Right now, just looking at the pics of how close the card would be to the psu, I kind of really don'ttt want to run SLI (at least if I keep the board).

toneekay

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I don't have a problem with cooling what so ever, but if I run a second card on this board, I may have some heat issues on the second card.

6688002885_8381a4a03c_z.jpg

Well I will say that the bottom slot is close to the psu but like I said I did have the same setup with my computer and I had a 1200w psu sitting there with a GTX 260 (216 core) and there were no heat issues. You just want to make sure that you have a good air flow through the case and it will be fine. The psu does have a fan that draws air in and out the rear so there's really no heat build up there. You do of course have the final say and if you are not willing to put a card there then that is your choice.

What horrible reviews? Your PSU is built by Seasonic, one of the best PSU manufacturers around.

They are, but that is one of the things those rubber grommets are for - to safely tuck unused cabling out of sight.

I was looking at the picture of your system. Why didn't you put the video card in the primary PCIe slot just abpve the CMOS battery? With one video card installed, the primary slot runs at X16. The secondary slot (where you installed your card) will, depending on the motherboard, run at either X4 or X8, costing you some video performance. And it would also move it away from the PSU.

toneekay

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I'm thinking about keeping the setup how it is and trying out the SLI... If there is an increase temperature on the bottom card, then I'll probably pick up a new board. It'll cost a whole lot less than buying something bigger (something performing slightly higher than a 580).

I know it's got Seasonic internals and even better support, however off the Egg, this particular one has had several reviews about peoples PSUs blowing up! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207011

The picture is just a "test" to see how low/close the card would be to the PSU when I run SLI; I have my card in the first slot (above the cmos batt) at all times.

I'm thinking about adding a fan at the bottom of the case to draw air in so it can feed my bottom card. I'd like for the temperatures to stay relatively close to each other as far as being cool and not have them like 40 degrees apart -___-''

Adding the fan at the bottom is a good idea and I was going to suggest that but I didn't know how much you were willing to do to keep the current setup. As I said before with a good air flow inside your computer there should be no heat issues and the psu shouldn't give off that much heat. From your picture it looks like the psu has the fan on the bottom and the case has an opening in the bottom so that the fan is drawing in cooler air from outside the case which is even better. You really should have no heat issues from the psu.

Solution

toneekay

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Yea, you're probably right... I was just geekin' out a bit because I knew that even though the PSU wouldn't create a tremendous amount of heat, it's still warm to the touch. I'll be picking up my second card soon, so hopefully I can see how it'll turn out... I'm going to see if I can rig another fan to the side of my HDD cage blowing air towards the PSU/card; hopefully with a bottom mount fan, it'll blow air somewhat diagonal (up left) to the card.

I tidied up my wires behind the board just a bit, and it fits a little better... at least away from any harmful, sharp edges that there may be behind there. I guess I don't really have to change out my PSU; it would've been a hassle having to return/sell it and buy another lol.

It's amazing how much you can mod a case when you really want to get things set up to match your needs. If you can see the pic on my sig that case is a Half-X and I wanted more of a window on the side pannel so I competely cut out the huge 200mm side fan and put a fuul sheet of plexi with a smaller fan.

toneekay

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Oh don't get me wrong... The inside of my case looks flawless (stuff you can see), however the backside of the board was just wires everywhere lol. I've yet to cut my case, in fact, I'm afraid to... but I have all the tools, so If I should ever feel the need to make some cut-outs, I know what to do lol.

toneekay

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Haha yeah thanks man, I'll probably look over my case and see if there's any spots where I can cut it and make some wires fit better... If anything I want to hide some of those wires I have at the bottom of the board (audio/usb).