Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Frame Rate Issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2011 11:14:46 PM

Hello my friends! I just got a new computer (home built by somebody I know[Waiting on a response to this problem from them]) and it has some severe frame rate problems. It has good specs (Included below) and is brand new so I'm not sure why these problems should be occurring. I noticed it on the games: "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim," and "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3." My computer plays poorly even on low-minimum settings. Please help, I've gotten a little bit of input, but everybody seems pretty stumped. Tell me what else I need to include, like if I left anything really important out. I'm not much of a techie, but I'm good at following instructions, and using Google! Haha, thanks again!

System Specifications(I don't know what to include...So I'll probably say too much...):
Operating System: Windows 7 Untimate 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192 RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 560 (MSi Twin FrozrII)? (Not 100% about this one...)

More about : frame rate issues

November 14, 2011 11:17:23 PM

Drivers. Go to nVidia's website and check your drivers.
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:26:53 PM

deathofzero said:
Drivers. Go to nVidia's website and check your drivers.

Actually a buddy already helped me update those just a few days ago. No improvements.
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2011 11:27:19 PM

Hm. That is strange. Have you updated every driver in the system?

The only other thing it could be is that you haven't enabled the graphics card in the BIOS; if you haven't, it will default to the IGP.
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:29:04 PM

deathofzero said:
Hm. That is strange. Have you updated every driver in the system?

The only other thing it could be is that you haven't enabled the graphics card in the BIOS; if you haven't, it will default to the IGP.

I'm honestly not sure what "every driver" is. And is there a way to check if the graphics card has been enabled? (Also just a PS: I haven't done ANY risky downloads, and the guy who built it for me REALLY knows what he's doing, like 20 years of experience)
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:30:52 PM

Then chances are that's the problem. It's pretty easy to overlook.

There's no real way other than to go into the BIOS. Do you know how to use a BIOS?
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:34:02 PM

deathofzero said:
Then chances are that's the problem. It's pretty easy to overlook.

There's no real way other than to go into the BIOS. Do you know how to use a BIOS?
Not confidently, if you would walk me through it I'd feel much more comfortable! (Sorry for my stupidity, I swear I'm doing a build this winter break, maybe I'll learn, haha.) So once I get instructions, I'll check it out and get back to you! :) 
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 11:35:41 PM

How many FPS do you get while playing ?
Anyway MW3, Skyrim sound to be CPU intensive, i get a constant of 41 FPS while playing MW3, tried low/medium/ultra settings, i get the same FPS.
see below. you need a CPU as strong as a i5 2500K to max out the game, no matter what GPU you do have.
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:37:43 PM

ilysaml said:
How many FPS do you get while playing ?
Anyway MW3, Skyrim sound to be CPU intensive, i get a constant of 41 FPS while playing MW3, tried low/medium/ultra settings, i get the same FPS.
see below. you need a CPU as strong as a i5 2500K to max out the game, no matter what GPU you do have.
http://media.bestofmicro.com/7/G/315196/original/CPU%20Core.png

I don't have a way of checking my FPS in game, but it's pretty pathetic to be honest. Unplayable in Skyrim on minimum, and hardly possible on MW3 low.
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:39:20 PM

^^^ The guy above may have your answer. Of course, your FPS also depends on your resolution. Set the resolution lower and try the FPS again.

If the problems persist, then go into the BIOS. I'll guide you through if you check your resolution first. I have a GTX 550 Ti and you can max any game at a low resolution; kick the resolution up, and it'll lag.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 11:40:47 PM

Though it depends on the BIOS, there's an option in the BIOS that relates to the detection of an external PCI-express card. Normally, should the motherboard have integrated graphics when you just build the system, the motherboard defaults to that integrated graphics port. To access the BIOS, tap delete repeatedly (not backspace, delete) during startup until you see a blue screen with a DOS-style menu. If I recall, it's in the "integrated peripherals" section. Only check this - do not modify anything unless you know what you're doing and report back.

Another case that could be causing the speed problems is high temperatures. Should temps start getting above 80ish or so Celsius, you're going to get slow downs. Check the temps in GPU-Z to see if they're getting too high.
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:42:07 PM

deathofzero said:
^^^ The guy above may have your answer. Of course, your FPS also depends on your resolution. Set the resolution lower and try the FPS again.

If the problems persist, then go into the BIOS. I'll guide you through if you check your resolution first. I have a GTX 550 Ti and you can max any game at a low resolution; kick the resolution up, and it'll lag.

Whenever I try to lower the resolution below 1920 x 1080 my computer tells me not to because it "advises" I should keep it up. What should I lower it to?
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:45:21 PM

ulillillia said:
Though it depends on the BIOS, there's an option in the BIOS that relates to the detection of an external PCI-express card. Normally, should the motherboard have integrated graphics when you just build the system, the motherboard defaults to that integrated graphics port. To access the BIOS, tap delete repeatedly (not backspace, delete) during startup until you see a blue screen with a DOS-style menu. If I recall, it's in the "integrated peripherals" section. Only check this - do not modify anything unless you know what you're doing and report back.

Another case that could be causing the speed problems is high temperatures. Should temps start getting above 80ish or so Celsius, you're going to get slow downs. Check the temps in GPU-Z to see if they're getting too high.

I'm not even going to lie. I'm too new to computer to understand most of this. :(  (I like to understand what I'm doing before I do it, you know.) So you're saying I need to check my BIOS to make sure it's using the correct graphics card? Wasn't that previously stated or am I misunderstanding?
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:47:04 PM

ulillillia said:

Also, I'm unfamiliar with GPU-Z all together, I've never even heard of it, do you mind filling me in? (Seriously, I feel awful because you guys have to baby me.)
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:47:55 PM

1080 can be harsh for a game. The "advising" just means that's the standard res for the monitor. You can force higher or lower res in a game but it should default to 1080.

Even still, MW3 should be playable on max at 1080p just without AA. Time to check the BIOS.

Follow these steps:

Reset your computer.

When the system "POST"s (a series of phrases comes up, showing the loading harddrives and system devices), press the DELETE key repeatedly until a usually blue screen comes up.

There should be various options: choose the one that either says Chipset Options or the aforementioned "Integrated Peripherals" section. It could even be in the PCI Management section. All BIOS have different names.

Find the option that shows the status of the PCIe slot. This varies heavily by BIOS; it's better just to record all of the options in the sections involving it if you don't understand it.

Report back to the forums so we can see.

Also, GPU Z is a nice little utility to see info about your Graphics card.

Don't sweat being a n00b, I was here at one point before.
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:49:54 PM

deathofzero said:
1080 can be harsh for a game. The "advising" just means that's the standard res for the monitor. You can force higher or lower res in a game but it should default to 1080.

Even still, MW3 should be playable on max at 1080p just without AA. Time to check the BIOS.

Follow these steps:

Reset your computer.

When the system "POST"s (a series of phrases comes up, showing the loading harddrives and system devices), press the DELETE key repeatedly until a usually blue screen comes up.

There should be various options: choose the one that either says Chipset Options or the aforementioned "Integrated Peripherals" section. It could even be in the PCI Management section. All BIOS have different names.

Find the option that shows the status of the PCIe slot. This varies heavily by BIOS; it's better just to record all of the options in the sections involving it if you don't understand it.

Report back to the forums so we can see.

Also, GPU Z is a nice little utility to see info about your Graphics card.

Don't sweat being a n00b, I was here at one point before.

Is there a specific way to get out of BIOS? What do I do when I'm done?
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:52:55 PM

Use escape to go back to the main menu. There should be an option to select "Save changes and exit."

Select that, the computer will restart, and take you to login.
m
l
November 14, 2011 11:57:18 PM

Alright... I'm goin' in. Wish me luck.
m
l
November 15, 2011 12:05:45 AM

deathofzero said:
Use escape to go back to the main menu. There should be an option to select "Save changes and exit."

Select that, the computer will restart, and take you to login.

My computer sat a black screen forever (Acting like the monitor was off?) If I try to turn off and on my monitor I get a "HDMI no signal" message in the top left corner. I tapped "Delete" repeatedly just to make sure I didn't miss it. Nothing happened. It went straight to my desktop. (Deeper issue here? Lol)
m
l
November 15, 2011 12:09:01 AM

Argh! That's very strange. I'm afraid I can't help you; I have a bit of experience but I've not seen anything like that. Perhaps another forum crawler will help?

Gosh, I'm sorry. Oh well.
m
l
November 15, 2011 12:10:00 AM

deathofzero said:
Argh! That's very strange. I'm afraid I can't help you; I have a bit of experience but I've not seen anything like that. Perhaps another forum crawler will help?

Gosh, I'm sorry. Oh well.

My friend says my monitor isn't booting up fast enough and to hit the F keys, could he be on to something?
m
l
November 15, 2011 12:12:11 AM

Well some BIOS' use F5, F4, F11, F12, or Delete. I've never seen any other button. The most I've seen was F5 or Delete.

Your monitor may be right, though; it may not be getting a signal until the OS shell is loaded. That may mean you have to use the IGP to set the BIOS.
m
l
November 15, 2011 12:32:51 AM

deathofzero said:
Well some BIOS' use F5, F4, F11, F12, or Delete. I've never seen any other button. The most I've seen was F5 or Delete.

Your monitor may be right, though; it may not be getting a signal until the OS shell is loaded. That may mean you have to use the IGP to set the BIOS.

IGP? And there's some weird stuff happening on bootup, it just stayed black (like the monitor was off) for like 10-15 minutes. The PC can be turned off with a single click of the power button. NOT holding it, just tapping it. (If that means anything to anybody.) Straight to desktop after this phase.
m
l

Best solution

November 15, 2011 1:06:28 AM

Chance is you're using your igp instead of your vga card. Are you sure the monitor is connected to the card not the mboard back panel ?
November 15, 2011 2:22:41 AM

Best answer selected by NinjEskimo.
m
l
November 15, 2011 2:23:21 AM

we_san said:
Chance is you're using your igp instead of your vga card. Are you sure the monitor is connected to the card not the mboard back panel ?

Dude, I swear, you're my hero. Runs like a dream! Thank all of you so much!
m
l
!