Ivy bridge, So let me get this straight...

deadcellshadix

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
First off, im relatively new to the forum and over the years my computer-smarts has degrated. However, im a bit puzzled.

I know the Sandy Bridge CPU was a giant success and many people are looking to new the Ivy Bridge as the next best thing especially when it comes to graphics computing. Ive read a few articles on the upcoming Ivy Bridge and all of them say that the expansion of Graphics processing is geared soley towards the Integrated Graphics 4000. How is the Ivy Bridge, suffice to say, going to help Joe Shmoe running 2-way to 3-way SLI/Crossfire graphics? Will the renown expansion to graphics processing not even be utilized? I am asking because im in the market to build a somewhat high-end gaming rig. "Am I even asking the right questions?" Can I get some help? Here is what I was thinking of doing before and after due diligence:

Before:
ASUS Rampage IV LGA 2011 MOBO
Core i7-3820 CPU 3.6Ghz (Upgrade to Ivy Bridge-E... wont come out till mid 2013?)
16GB 1866mhz memory
Dual Radeon HD 6870 Graphics (upgrading once Keplers are refined and good drivers come out)
1 Samsung S23A700D 23" monitor (upgrading to 3x when I buy Keplers/Tahiti)

Now:
ASUS P8Z77-V 1155 MOBO (If I go with this setup, should I just wait to buy a better MOBO when Ivy bridge hits??)
*Wait for Ivy Bridge CPU* (June-July 2012)
16GB 1866mhz memory
Dual Radeon HD 6870 Graphics (upgrading once Keplers are refined and good drivers come out)
1 Samsung S23A700D 23" monitor (upgrading to 3x when I buy Keplers/Tahiti)

What exactly am I gaining/losing by chosing a Z77 1155 over an X79 LGA2011? I know most games barely utilize 4-cores and will not get bottle necked with the Core i5-2500k... I saw a guy who overclocked this CPU to 5.0Ghz... "how does this help my gaming experience?"

**** What is your opinion, with no computer at all, would you do with a $3000 budget while preparing for future upgrades? ****

Any help is much appreciated!

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Will Ivybridge E ever come out? I dont think it has been confirmed. Socket 2011 is massive gaming overkill (and likely a dead socket).

If you really want bragging rights over i5 just get an IB i7 on a socket 1155 z77 board

whack in liquid cooling

2 or 3 way SLi using GTX680

Big SSD for OS and games

Full tower case all lit up

Thats the direction I'd be heading with your budget.

IB is a small gain over SB the next is Haswell and we can assume that will use a new socket so really upgradeability there is a moot point. GTX680 is the best single GPU card on the market right now undisputed you can afford to SLi 2 or 3. A nice SSD will make it all feel snappier and faster.

deadcellshadix

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Thanks for the reply wr6133, I was planning on getting maybe a 120gb SSD for the O/S and games alone. 2Tb Seagate for everything else.

Rig:

Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Big Water 760 Plus CPU cooler

Do the z77 MOBO's out now have applicable technology for the IB, or will they come out with new MOBOs the second the hit with better Tech?

Also, I see what you mean on the LGA 2011 IB-E... it will collide with Haswell and be dead at that point. The only reason I was considering LGA 2011 was for everything else aside from gaming... hmmmm. I dont know if I should go all-out or get only the basics.

I imagine most of this is COMPLETE OVERKILL for Diablo III "which is what ill be playing most of" but i'd still like the graphics power to play other more graphic intensive games..

I know most games barely utilize 4-cores and will not get bottle necked with the Core i5-2500k... I saw a guy who overclocked this CPU to 5.0Ghz... "how does this help my gaming experience?"

The only games that will show increased performance are CPU intensive games like Flight Simulator X, most settle for overclocking a 2500K to the 4500mhz range, easily accomplished on big air cooling to run the lowest temps possible.

Most games like for example Crysis 2, and such as that, will show no increased performance from 4.5ghz to 5.0ghz with a 2500K, but other apps like media encoding do show overclocked performance gains.

Your GPUs will be your best performance edge running a 2500K and that's where I would spend my biggest bucks.

deadcellshadix

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
@4Ryan6,

So there's really no point to overclock except for CPU intensive games and maybe bragging rights... otherwise you're sacrificing the longevity of your processor. I have a Core i7 2.66 in my Macbook Pro right now but it simply doesnt give me the graphics for my gaming needs. A single Geforce 330m 512 can barely run SC2 on medium quality :-/ Diablo III's script for Macs is simply bogus and needs an overhaul. Not really the best $3400 spent.

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

You didn't buy the Macbook Pro for performance did you??? If you did, well hopefully lesson learned

deadcellshadix

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I bought it for multi-media and playing games that dont require too much graphics processing "which most Blizzards games dont".. little did I know that not as much effort goes into the code for games being played on a Mac O/S... that plus an average GPU = sub-par gaming experience. Lesson Learned.

digdog

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Ivy is the choice for people coming from pre-SB; minor improvements only for SB owners, and some setups (6 core 9xx, 2700k, etc..) can be more beneficial depending on *what application* you have for them.

If you had a c2d before SB, you *needed* SB;
If you have a SB, you DON'T need a IB. But you can if you want to. Minor improvements are still improvements. Just make sure that it's what you need for whatever you do with your PC.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
wr6133 is spot on. As tom's recent review suggests "Ivy Bridge was never projected to be as impactful as its predecessor" - see http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/332803-10-bridge-straight for more info....it's certainly not going to give you significant advantages over it's predecessor - primarily when you take into account a properly forward-planned set of add-in cards/components. HD4000, for example, was never intended to compete with a modern high-end dedicated GFX card. So the crucial aspect to your new build is that you chose it's components wisely in order to maximise their lifespan.

I'm still using an i7 920 (4GHz) X58 based system - might sound odd until you factor in 240GB revodrive X2, GTX580, 12GB RAM, SATA6/USB3 card, etc........you get the picture. I purchased the base not long after X58 came out (giving plenty m'board choice and reviews - don't buy straight away!) - thus I knew it had a bit of life in it. Additionally, I have a lot of installed & carefully tweaked apps and games - I'm not going purchase a new base/cpu/memory then re-install & tweak this lot for very little gain.....even ivy is not persuading me.

The usual google/etc review searches should put your mind at rest. Happy building :)

I have been overclocking since 1978 (we just didn't call it overclocking back then), and I have never lost a CPU to overclocking effects. I end up discarding or giving away the systems long after they become obsolete.

If you stay with manufacturer's recommended voltage and thermal limits, short of random failures that all electronics are subject to, the system will be obsolete long before the CPU fails from overclocking side effects.

GPU's may be a different matter. I do not overclock GPU's. I figure that they run hot enough anyway.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Do the z77 MOBO's out now have applicable technology for the IB, or will they come out with new MOBOs the second the hit with better Tech?

They have tech now that is beyond whats actually utilised. Thas really a question you have to try and avoid with hardware or you will constantly be thinking "well if i wait a little longer......"

I have been overclocking since 1978 (we just didn't call it overclocking back then),

Back then it was called "adding an extra hamster to the wheel" or if on the soviet side "whipping a few more proletarians" :lol:

deadcellshadix

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
@wr6133 "adding another Hamster to the wheel" bahahahaha! Nice ;-) I get your point with the waiting process... i guess we have to make a decision to start somewhere..

@mesab66, thanks for the valuable input. Im going from practically nothing as far as a computer for gaming so it's not like i have a Sandy Bridge and am looking to upgrade to IB.. Personally, part of me feels a bit more comfortable/satisfied with the ASUS Rampage IV LGA 2011 MOBO w/ i7 3820... I dont really see the point in getting the Ivy Bridge if I settle for a SB-E. The Rampage just ofers so much more expansion for upgrades.. hmmmph, im perplexed!

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
well either one you buy will still give you great performance long enough to last you 3-5 years without upgrading any besides GPU maybe. go with the cheaper one, imo if you can find i5 2500k for 140-170$ it's a freaking steal and go with it >.<

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
The scope for upgrades the 2011 offers is kind of needless though. Firstly disgard any thought of there being new CPU's for it that is not confirmed or announced. That leaves the board itself. It can take ALOT of RAM by the time you need that much RAM we will be using DDR4 or later and the build will be obsolete. PCIe lanes.... how many cards would you ever plan to SLi and you could do that on a quality z77.