Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gaming build - Need advice

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2012 7:55:11 PM

I'm building a gaming PC for my wife. Her requirements are that it runs the best games currently available without having to turn the settings down, as well as something that's forward-looking enough to run games for the next five years.

Here's what I've got so far. It's about $1500 in parts.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 Blue

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro

CPU: Intel Core i7-2500k

Aftermarket CPU cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow (read some good reviews and it'll let me overclock)

PSU: Corsair TX750 V2 (Online PSU calculators I have seen put me at about 700W. Does anyone have any good resources where I can confirm the 750 will be enough?)

Video: Geforce GTX 580 (Since it's for gaming, I did most of my spending on the video card. Is this a good approach?)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB chips, DDR3, 1600MHz, CA latency of 8. I read some mixed reviews of whether CA latency 9 chips will do the trick. Will an 8 or 7 make a big difference in this setup?

SSD: Corsair Force GT 120

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB

CD/DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST (24x DVD drive, really doesn't matter)

Any suggestions, or anything anyone would switch up?

More about : gaming build advice

Best solution

January 12, 2012 8:19:59 PM

I wish my wife wanted me to build her a gaming PC.

Pull back on the RAM. You only need 8. Put the savings toward a bigger PSU if you're concerned.

You also can easily go for a cheaper full ATX motherboard with only one 16x PCI-e slot, because it doesn't sound like you're going to SLI. Maybe this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And put that money toward a better PSU, if necessary.

Also, make sure we're talking i5-2500k. i7 isn't really worth the extra for gaming.
January 12, 2012 8:28:18 PM

Thanks for the quick answers. Yes, I meant the i5-2500k.

As far as SLI goes, isn't it a better idea to go with the 2 PCI-e's in case you ever want to go SLI? I mean, some day after I need the extra juice, I could throw another card in there, right? That's one of the things I did because it would be expandable.

As far as the RAM, any thoughts on the CA 9 vs 8 vs 7?
Score
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2012 8:48:28 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-vengeance-c...

Decent article concerning RAM speeds. The conclusion is that Cas 9 1600 is pretty much the sweetspot.

I'd take a look at the new 7970 over the 580 as the price is very close (500 vs 550) and the 7970 is outpacing the 580 pretty easily.

Stick with the i5 for gaming, as the hyperthreading offers no benefit for gaming.

Gluck

Score
January 12, 2012 9:07:17 PM

jwnrski said:

As far as SLI goes, isn't it a better idea to go with the 2 PCI-e's in case you ever want to go SLI? I mean, some day after I need the extra juice, I could throw another card in there, right? That's one of the things I did because it would be expandable.

As far as the RAM, any thoughts on the CA 9 vs 8 vs 7?

I'm not smart enough when it comes to RAM, so take a4mula's advice ;-)

Yes, if you're considering SLI (nVidia) or Crossfire (AMD), then stick with the board you chose!

I'll echo what a4mula said about the 7970. It's appealing. Just keep in mind that it's new and you might have to work through some kinks on the front end.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2012 9:21:09 PM

jwnrski said:

Your stated criterion, "runs the best games currently available without having to turn the settings down", will not be satisfied with a single GTX 580. Close, but no cigar. It is an excellent plan to add another one in SLI. That would be better by far than the best single Nvidia card available, the dual-chip GTX 590, and it would laugh at all games. With that in mind, you would want to get a PSU now that could handle that---at least a 1000W---with enough connectors for both cards. Nvidia has a chart for that.
Score
January 23, 2012 11:21:56 AM

Best answer selected by jwnrski.
Score
January 23, 2012 11:25:02 AM

Ended up going with this build, partly due to the replies here. Runs like a champ.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 Blue

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro

CPU: Intel Core i7-2500k

Aftermarket CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO

PSU: Corsair HX1050 V2

Video: Geforce 2xGTX 570s

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB chips, DDR3, 1600MHz

SSD: OCZ 120 GB

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB

CD/DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST (24x DVD drive, really doesn't matter)

Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 23, 2012 6:19:48 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!