I5 2500k stock fan stutter twice then starts?

Oscarmk

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hello everyone,

10 days ago I finished assembling my new PC:

*Maximus IV Gene-z/gen 3 motherboard
*i5 2500 k (stock speed and fan)
*Corsair Vengeance 16 gb 1600 mhz
*Saphire HD 7850 OC
*WD Blue Caviar
*Seagate 620 W PSU Semi-modular (one of the recommended ones here)

It has been running fine, but ever since I finished the assembly I noticed the cpu fan (it is the stock fan), will always at the start spin about 90 degrees stop, spin 90 degrees stop and then finally start (all this takes about 4 seconds), it always does this. After that it runs fine, however It looks like it takes a bit longer to get into bios because of this, takes about 3 to see the first bios screen.

I don't know if this could be an issue with the CPU or the Motherboard, or if this is just normal. Originally my pc would not start so I posted about my issue at the official ASUS ROG forums, it would get the normal boot beep, but I would not get any video output from the on board hdmi, turns out I just needed to connect the video card (didn't connect it because I wanted to see if everything was ok before connecting it)..., I also mentioned this problem in my thread but nobody commented on it, and at the end one of the community moderators said that it was all good and to proceed with the OS installation which I did.

The CPU temps seem normal, I get 29-34 idle, 45 - 55 gaming (although D3 Beta got to 60 highest), and a Blend Test with Prime 95 i got highest of 73 ran out for 1 hours 15 minutes no problems, temperature inside the case is 23-24. I have turbo enabled so during gaming and Prime 95 the it runs at 3.7 Ghz.

It has been running with no problems of any kind for 10 days now, with some moderate use, and a 5 hours continuous gaming at some point with no problems.

Anyway it always does the same thing will "try" to start 2 times and then finally start, could there be a problem here?.

Thank you in advance,

Oscar

That fan activity does sounds unusual.
But it could be it takes 4 seconds or so for the CPU to warm up where the motherboard commands the fan to start running to cool the CPU.

-> Have you checked the fan/temp profiles in your BIOS settings?

Oscarmk

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Thank you for your response, yes this is what I get in BIOS:

CPU Voltage is at 1.112V - 1.120V, fan speed at 2075 RPM and Temp at 28 c, motherboard temp at 29 C. Fan is on AUTO mode.

Oscarmk

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

I am at work atm, but I will check once I get home, should I set it to something other than Auto?. Do you think there could be a problem here?

Oscarmk

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

I just checked, I assume it was an AUTO, actually in BIOS inside the FAN monitor all I can set is something called CPU Q-FAN and it is disabled, what would that be?. Temperature was at 28 and fan speed at 2048.