who picked up Coded Arms ?

How is it ? I might get this tomorrow. I have a $10 gift card at CC ive
been wanting to use

lonesw0rdsman wrote:
> How is it ? I might get this tomorrow. I have a $10 gift card at CC ive
> been wanting to use

I will probably be picking it up tomorrow. There is a thread over at
PSP-Vault and initial impressions are very good:

http://www.psp-vault.com/index.php?module=pnForum&func=viewtopic&topic=1492&start=0#pid14830

On other topics, there have been a whole bunch of hacks the past few
weeks, working up to firmware 1.5 and some reports of them working up
to firmware 1.51. There was a memory stick swap exploit a few weeks ago
for firmware 1.5 that allowed a ton of homebrew to run off memory
stick, then that turned into a single stick swap to a no-swap now. So,
there are now GBA, SNES, N64 and about a dozen other emulators, there
is a Doom port, multiple music generator homebrew, chess, on and on.
Now, there is news that a group has come up with a prototype interface
for the memory stick slot to allow multiple types of memory cards and
possibly hard drives to be used. And the big news is Lumines and a
couple of other games are running from the memory stick, first
requiring any UMD disk to be in the drive, now with no UMD disk needed.

"lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in news:j1Jze.3828$Ll6.1287@trnddc06:

> How is it ? I might get this tomorrow. I have a $10 gift card at CC ive
> been wanting to use

Very mixed reviews according to gamerankings.com, average of the ratings is
57%.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920834.asp

"Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.canospam> wrote in message
> "lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in news:j1Jze.3828$Ll6.1287@trnddc06:
>
>> How is it ? I might get this tomorrow. I have a $10 gift card at CC ive
>> been wanting to use
>>

> Very mixed reviews according to gamerankings.com, average of the ratings
> is
> 57%.
>
> http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920834.asp

But those are the critics rankings. Over at IGN and a couple of sites that
calculate user ranking, it is above 80% which would indicate that it is
fairly popular.

In article <j1Jze.3828$Ll6.1287@trnddc06>, ga@lone.com says...

>How is it ? I might get this tomorrow. I have a $10 gift card at CC ive
>been wanting to use

Its gotten so-so reviews from IGN and Gamespot. I think I'm just gonna rent it
from Blockbuster.

In article <Samdndnn5PU_flLfRVn-rQ@comcast.com>, nyyankees@comcast.net says...

>"Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.canospam> wrote in message
>> "lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in news:j1Jze.3828$Ll6.1287@trnddc06:
>>
>>> How is it ? I might get this tomorrow. I have a $10 gift card at CC ive
>>> been wanting to use
>>>

>> Very mixed reviews according to gamerankings.com, average of the ratings
>> is
>> 57%.
>>
>> http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920834.asp
>>

>But those are the critics rankings. Over at IGN and a couple of sites that
>calculate user ranking, it is above 80% which would indicate that it is
>fairly popular.

Between IGN and Gamespot its score is around 65% to 70% which isn't terrible
and means its well worth at least a rental. I was hoping for much better
reviews though. Oh well...whens the next fps coming?

In a word - mediocre. Coded Arms has the advantage of being the first
FPS for the PSP, as well as one of few games that people have NOT
played, so it will do well. The three things that have impressed me
the most are the interface, graphics and the ability to properly
stand-by as opposed to having to save and shutdown (some PSP games HAVE
to be shutoff, like Wipeout, otherwise they lock when you return). The
enimies are few and stupid. Controls are stiff but work, but that's
the same on any console FPS. I can't play the game for more than 30
mins before I get bored. Every room is square thus far, and it's easy
to get lost. The mapping system is similar to the GC Metroid series,
however I get turned around in the Metroid series as well, so mileage
may vary.

If you want something new as PSP games are still few and far between,
and you like FPSes, $39.99 may be worth the price.

If I had a to rate the game - 7/10.

Blig Merk wrote:

> I will probably be picking it up tomorrow

Yeah right. Everybody knows you don't actually play games, because all your
time is taken up trolling for anti-MS news.

> And the big news is Lumines and a
> couple of other games are running from the memory stick, first
> requiring any UMD disk to be in the drive, now with no UMD disk
> needed.

It's cute how you state this so matter-of-factly, when if it was the Xbox
that was hacked so that you could download and play games on an unmodified
console, you'd be so excited your ejaculate would shoot all the way from
Kennewick to, well, whatever the next hick town over is.

When 2 GB memory sticks become cheap and commonplace, even casual users will
be able to keep a library of downloaded full version PSP games on their hard
drive and copy the ones they want to play to the stick. I know I won't be
updating my firmware again.

-Z-

lones, I found it a decent FPS. The controls have some getting used to
though. it isn't great, but a pretty good choice for a first PSP FPS.
Besides, I am a fan of hacking themes in games, so I found I like the
theme. I also like computer generated maps in games. Lumines tends to
get the predominate play on my PSP though.

- Richard Hutnik

<richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> lones, I found it a decent FPS. The controls have some getting used to
> though. it isn't great, but a pretty good choice for a first PSP FPS.
> Besides, I am a fan of hacking themes in games, so I found I like the
> theme. I also like computer generated maps in games. Lumines tends to
> get the predominate play on my PSP though.
>
> - Richard Hutnik

Are you one of those people who can top 500,000 on Lumines? I've played my
wife's copy 2 or 3 times and I don't get it. Never been a puzzler.

Mattingly I am not even close to that I don't think. For me, it is the
zen experience of puzzle games, which I like, and the music and visual
effects that hooks me (Tetris meets Dance Dance Revolution). I also
try to unlock more levels. I get up to a few levels past the dance
levels, and get stuck. I think a bit past "Dark side of the River".
For me, it is an experience to waste time with, more than showing
mastery of it. Although I do get better, and breakthroughs come in
bursts. Like, I occationally get past the rat, to get to the vampire
in the vs CPU game.

Anyhow, the puzzle games are really old school single screen action
titles pretending to be puzzlers. To keep the genre alive, they named
them puzzlers.

- Richard Hutnik

Mattingly, I will also add this regarding the puzzlers. They have also
been "brain" beefed up a bit, so they are bit more puzzle like. They
are still action titles mostly. Of course, there are likes of
bejeweled, which is more puzzle like, but Lumines ends up being need to
react quickly. Maybe it could be that rotation and spacial perception
aren't your strongest suites, however. Also, Lumines isn't the easiest
game to play. It is different. I find it does, however, boil down to
forming set patterns below to capitalize on future shapes that will
fall. I don't even look really to the upcoming blocks. Maybe I do an
occational peak to see if a jeweled piece is falling, but not for
planning otherwise.

- Richard Hutnik