Will PCI Express 2.1 fit in PCI 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harey Turtle

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
My old faithful backup computer that I only use occasionally (A7V600-X) currently has a 128MB AGP Radeon card and I saw Newegg's ad today for a Radeon 1GB 64 bit card (6450 XFX GD-645X-ZQH2) for 20 bucks.

Will this card fit in my beast's PCI slot ... if possible I need answer quick, sale is from 1-5 pm today?

Thanks in advance.

Solution

PCI express came out in 2004. You are running a pretty old system that was end of life years ago. You will not see any improvement on a regular PCI card(if in theory on existed today) over AGP. AGP uses the PCI bus and is tailored for graphics cards. You are at a point if you want...

Gphish

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
yes it wont work if you look at a motherboard on newegg you can see a picture of the pci express and a pci 2.0 or 2.2 slot and you can see a big diffrence in the two

Harey Turtle

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
thanks for quick response ... yeah, I googled images of the two and see the huge diff ... ty again ...

followup Q ... AGPs are high priced for my beast (I also run a 128mb 8x AGP ... and also a quad card for a total of 8 monitors) but I'm switching over to my primary computer and only need this to run 2 monitors. Is a 1GB PCI card any improvement over my AGP 8x ... the PCIs are inexpensive but if it doesn't improve what's the point!

Thanks again.

PCI express came out in 2004. You are running a pretty old system that was end of life years ago. You will not see any improvement on a regular PCI card(if in theory on existed today) over AGP. AGP uses the PCI bus and is tailored for graphics cards. You are at a point if you want to see an improvement you need a hardware refresh with something more current that supports PCI express.

Solution

Gphish

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
The PCI Express protocol is based on transfers per second. The listing of the speed is better expressed as 2.5 Giga Transfers per second. The PCI Express is also an 8bit/10bit symbol based system, so the 2.5 Giga Transfers(GT/s) comes down to just around 2 Gigabits of transactional data. A functional speed of 250MB/s per lane. When combined with the overhead of the networking device it comes down just a smidgen more. this is more than double what AGP was

Gphish

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
not arguing just educational conversations. I do stand corrected. I had no idea that PCI graphic cards existed before AGP. I have had 3000 dollar plus computers since 2003 first one was an ABS Ultimate M5 64. AMD FX51 with ATI 9800 Pro with 74Gb WD raptors in raid 0. Was pci graphics in commodore 64? HA HA HA. No harm done again I'm sorry. Don't be upset ok.

No problem Mr. Carr. The OP's computer is likely older than your first one from 2003. You had 37GB raptors in 2003 unless you upgraded later. :) I know you are joking but no the Commodore 64 wasn't PCI. It wasn't until almost 10 years later in 1993 did PCI come out. The first computer I built was based on a 386 DX CPU and have built multiple computers every year since.

Gphish

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
The Western Digital Raptor (often marketed as WD Raptor) or VelociRaptor is a series of high performance hard disk drives produced by Western Digital. The drive currently occupies a niche in the enthusiast, workstation and small-server market. Traditionally, the majority of servers used hard drives featuring a SCSI interface because of their advantages in both performance and reliability over consumer-level ATA drives.

Although pitched as an “enterprise-class drive”, it won favour with the PC gaming and enthusiast community because the drive was capable of speeds usually found only on more expensive SCSI drives. Adopting the SATA interface meant that it could be used easily on all modern motherboards with no separate host adapter card. Also, integration was made easier still by the inclusion of a standard 4-pin Molex power connector in addition to the standard SATA power port.

Despite having been in production since early 2003, there is no direct competition in the same market.

YES ABS computers had the 74Gb Raptors at time of my purchase in late 2003. Why would I lie? I see where you got 2004 date no worries. Why do you give me so much attention? whats in it for you?let it go. I not try to steal your lolipop he gave you. Take you own words to heart and dont argue.

Status
Not open for further replies.