Smugmug vs. Flickr

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 11, 2005 5:26:16 PM

These two online photo sharing sites seem to be getting the brunt of
the news coverage for a good reason. They are the best. Since many
people, including myself have been wondering about the differences I
have wrote a short review of them on my blog. I've included the
beginning of that review here:

"Ever since I got a digital camera I've wanted to have an online
photo gallery. Attempts at creating my own photo gallery were awkward
and slow at best. Then I discovered Smugmug and Flickr. I actually read
about Flickr first (it has gotten a lot of publicity) and signed up for
it. I also purchased an account for my parents as a Christmas present.
A few weeks later I decided to try the free trial of Smugmug. The main
difference between Flickr and Smugmug is that Flickr wants to
facilitate an online photo sharing community more so than Smugmug.
Smugmug has that capability as well but is more apt at organizing
photos into galleries for long-term photo storage/organization. While
both sites offer tags (ability to assign words to certain pictures to
assist in searching), Flickr does not have as good of an organization
system as Smugmug does. Photos on Flickr are grouped into "Sets,"
but there is no further hierarchy besides that. For example, I could
not create a gallery called "Vacations" and have multiple sets
within that gallery on Flickr. Smugmug makes it very easy to set up
this hierarchical organization system.

Smugmug seems to be a more professional photo-sharing site than Flickr.
It already offers the ability to order very high quality prints and all
in all seems more refined than Flickr. And, as a Power user, you can
customize your site however you like. Also, Smugmug allows you to order
CD or DVD backups of your galleries for a small fee..."

You can continue reading the article here:
http://www.illiteratewithdrawal.com/2005/05/smugmug-vs-...
Or sign up for Smugmug: http://www.smugmug.com/?referrer=H8yH17Omj9w86
(use this link to save $5 on annual subscription)
or Flickr: http://www.flickr.com

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me from the
link on my site. I use both and would love to answer any questions that
you might have. I usually respond within one day. Hopefully this will
help someone decide between these two instead of one the lower quality
but commercialized "others."

Scott

More about : smugmug flickr

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:00:18 AM

"Scott" <googlegroups@klettke.org> writes:

> These two online photo sharing sites seem to be getting the brunt of
> the news coverage for a good reason. They are the best. Since many
> people, including myself have been wondering about the differences I
> have wrote a short review of them on my blog. I've included the
> beginning of that review here:

This may well be true; but I've barely heard of either, and rarely
encounter people hosting galleries on them.

The well-known sites seem to be ofoto and shutterfly and fokti, to my
eye.
May 12, 2005 2:22:45 PM

David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:

> This may well be true; but I've barely heard of either, and rarely
> encounter people hosting galleries on them.
>
> The well-known sites seem to be ofoto and shutterfly and fokti, to my
> eye.

I know quite a few people who use pbase, and a few 'artier' people who
use usefilm.com.

I used to use Ofoto but Kodak started a policy where you had to order
prints to keep the account. Their big prints were absolutely excellent,
but they were very expensive for everyday sizes.

Smugmug, for a few dollars a year, seems to be a very good service.
Unlimited storage of full-size images, pretty reasonable web gallery
software, and they expose the API to the site so you can work with
command line tools (for example there's a good Python uploader that I
can leave running in the background on my fileserver...)

I'm not 100% happy with some of the web interface for customsing and
captioning, but it is an excellent service.

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "We ask ourselves 'what will become of Evil Gazebo?'"
Related resources

I hadn't yet heard of usefilm.com but Pbase is very nice. I love the
ability to search by camera type. I've requested that on dgrin.com (the
photo forum of Smugmug) and hope that it will be implemented soon.
However, Pbase is still significantly more expensive per year than
Smugmug as soon as you start getting a lot of photos. On Pbase it is
$60 a year for 600MB of storage, while with Flickr/Smugmug you get
"unlimited."

However, add Pbase to the list of one of those more professional
services that totally outclasses webshots, ofoto, or the largely
commercialized photo sites. Flickr is built for community sharing,
Smugmug is built for sharing but also organizing your own pictures (and
printing them), while the others seem more interested in selling you
prints than making your pictures easily accessible to others. Granted,
Smugmug and the Pro version of Flickr cost money, while the others are
generally free. But, I guess you get what you pay for.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 10:26:48 PM

What I especially like about SmugMug is the various levels of security
I can set up for each album. I do photos of actors in NYC. I can make
porfolios non-public if I wish.

You can limit d/l res.

I have one big album of children on Santa's lap. That one is password
protected and only parents were given password.

http://www.smugmug.com/?referrer=jyt6FA46W3kDo
link will save you $5 on Smugmug.

The lab we use is:
http://www.pephoto.com
9 cents plus $3.00 per order
they deliver next day to 3000+ NYC area dealers.
Real photo paper, real lab prints.
August 17, 2012 11:07:07 AM

Classic porno is a home of hot natural girls who really love sex
Click her for john holmes xxx
Those chicks of porn 1980 are really shameless! Go take a look!
!