1st gen nehalem x58 motherboards vs later x58motherboards

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
was wondering if there would be a difference in performancefrom a gigabyte EX58-DS4 (wich was the first motherboard made for x58 chipset and core i7)

and a intel DX58G motherboard

also note to my gigbyte old board only runs memory in single channle instead of tripple channle cause some the memory banks arte broken. do you think there woill be a noticable diference in performance between these two motherboards in my system

While both boards are going to use the same chipset and without overclocking of the CPU would likely perform about the same; most people here would say that the Gigabyte board would allow you to overclock the processor better and get better results. However without the triple channel or even dual channel memory I think I would go with the Intel® DX58OG, Intel DX58SO or Intel DX58SO2.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well my main purpose or thought would be the difference in playing a CPU bound game specifficaly guild wars 2. wondering if by having double or tripple channle memory if it will drasticly increase fps performance

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Intel-Core-i7-Nehalem,2057-13.html
If you look here - triple channel will not get you many FPS. The article does say for a "smoother gaming experience" multi channel is better but I just don't know if spending money on a new mobo is worth it. I thought about getting a newer x58 mobo because the sata III ports on x58s are garbage - did not find a good x58 mobo that had good sata III ports - I think we prepare ourselves for a new platform.
BTW - what cpu clock are you running? OCing may get you better performance.
-Bruce

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
3.6ghz but it turbos at 3.8ghz is all iv been able to get out of it. this board as well isnt good for overclocking it overclocks the QPI bus ridicoulsly at x36 and higher no lower setting so i think thats what makes it crash regardless what i do beyond 3.8ghz but im no pro either

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well another board the intel board i ordered so ity'll be here saturday am wondering if theres any benchmarks recomendations i should do to my system now and the new board other then FPS in the game i like, PCMark, 3Dmark and sis sandra does that cover everything anything else i should do?

on a tight budget after breaking my back so if its not a decent bit faster i'll send the board back i think and invest in another graphgics card however i figure this might suprise me if memory controllers are broken and it being a 1str gen motherboard mmaybe lanes to the processor are messed up or somthin anyways also to since my game is very much so CPU bound and limited if crossfire would boost performance much on a 7850

I hope the new board works well for you - our vintage of i7s are still very powerful paired with a good gpu. I feel your pain - just over 2 years ago I fell putting up the Christmas lights and broke (compression fractures) 2 vertebrae. Most benchmarks mean nothing to me - see how many FPS you get in a particular game and compare with the new board. Just for testing sake try with one stick and then triple channel.
-Bruce