Problem with Kingston RAM on P5NE-SLI

martincactus

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
I have an ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 processor.
I am running Windows 7 64 bits.
Until last month I had 2x 1 Gig of RAM KVR667D2N5K2/2G and everything was running fine.
I wanted to upgrade by adding 2x 2Gig of RAM.
At first, the computer kept rebooting every 30 minutes.
I updated the BIOS to the latest version, and now I have the BSOD a few times a week.
I removed the old RAM to keep only the new 2x 2Gigs and the problem stays the same.
I ran memtest for 24 hours without having any errors.
The timings are 5.0, 5,5,15,20, which is the same as the SPD.

What should I try next?

Thank you!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I used to have that same board. It was always giving me similar issues whenever I populated all 4 slots with the fastest RAM (800MHZ). It also was very fussy about using RAM that wasn't on the QVL. Your situation sounds a little different, but it reminds me of why I got rid of the board. I presume you are using matched sticks bought as a pair?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You can try, but I don't expect it to make any difference. That board was always fussy about RAM when all slots 4 were populated with anything but the same matched pairs of memory for me. Is your 2GB sticks the same timing as the old 1GB sticks? If not, you may try looking in BIOS to see if you can adjust all 4 sticks to the same timings as the slowest sticks. You could also check the command rate and use the more stable 2T for all sticks.

martincactus

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Yes I have the same problem when I put my 2 x 2 Gigs sticks. What I meant is that I don't mind not going with all 4 sticks.
I am not too familiar with the RAM timings, it is the first time I have problem with this. Which timing should I increase to do tests?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you lack familiarity, it may be best you don't do anything you are not familiar with in BIOS. Or at the very least save or make a backup of your BIOS as it is now before making any changes. That can be done in the BIOS at Main Menu/Tools/Asus O.C. Profile/ Load or Save BIOS Profile.

To see if your RAM's command rate is set at 2T go to Main Menu/Advanced/Chipset/Memory Timing Settings and change the "Command Per Clock" to 2T. (The memory timing settings area is also where you would adjust the timing and latency. But if you are unfamiliar with that aspect, it may be best to leave the settings at auto).

Then press F10 to save and exit the BIOS.

Have you or anyone else made any changes to your BIOS in the past?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm... well, you may just have a failing board if it can't handle the auto settings with 2 x 2GB sticks of 667MHZ memory. Even my cranky P5N-E SLI board could handle that at auto. If fact as long as I didn't try to populate all 4 slots with 800MHZ RAM, it was OK. Is that a board you bought new or one you bought used. It is quite a few years old.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Have you set everything back to auto? Had you O/C anything on the board in the past?

If DDR2 RAM wasn't so expensive, Id suggest picking up a matched pair of sticks and try it. But that stuff is so expensive now due to its obsolescence, that it probably isn't something you want to do.

You could always save your BIOS and then load the default values. See if anything changes.

martincactus

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Everything is back to auto, and I have never overclocked the board. Everything settings are the same as when I bought it 6 years ago.
Are there settings that I can change to that could put the memory slower, but more stable?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That old board doesn't have easy selections for changing memory speed directly like modern boards have. You have to go to FSB & Memory Config as I remember. Then you have to experiment with FSB speed, FSB Ratio, and whether or not the memory is linked to the FSB. A real pain. It's all in your MB manual. If you don't have a manual, you can get one here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5NE_SLI/
...under Support/Download.

kingstonhq

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

Hi, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and I would like to offer our assistance. We currently show the compatible 2x2GB kit as part number KVR667D2N5K2/4G. I see you indicated you purchased two seperate ones at the same time perhaps part number KVR667D2N5/2G? If they were purchased at the same time typically they will be of the same build and being the same PN should not cause any issues with Dual Channel performance. It is best practice to install the larger capacity RAM in Channel 1. Channel 1 on the P5N-E SLI would be the yellow slots and Channel 2 would be the black slots. So the two 2GB modules should be installed in the yellow slots (labeled DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1) and the 1GB modules in the other (DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2). If you have already tried this configuration or need further assistance please feel free to contact us directly. We can be reached at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part on hand when you call.

Thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.