Motherboards

suana77

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Ok, I think this may be a simpler question that makes more sense. Not sure if I explained it very well last time. Will a Dimension E520 motherboard and an Intel core 2 Duo E6400 processor work in a Dell Dimension 5150 desktop computer? If it will work is there anything more I need to do other than put them in? Thank you all for your assistance.

The Dimension 5150 Specifications list compatible CPU's as:
Intel Pentium 4 5XXX and 6XXX processors with Hyper-Threading technology

A Core 2 Duo is not a Pentium 4 processor and as you have found out won't work on the Dimension 5150 motherboard.

The E520 and 5150 both use BTX size motherboards. BTX (for Balanced Technology eXtended) is a form factor for motherboards, originally intended to be the replacement for the aging ATX motherboard form factor in late 2004 and early 2005. However, future development of BTX retail products by Intel was canceled in September 2006.

Whether your Windows operating system license will still be valid is one possible problem you might have. I would not put any money into such a dated system.

suana77

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Thank you for answering me. I'm not sure I have the answer I need though. Unfortunately I am not super great at all of this. Is there a good, reasonably cheep way that I can upgrade 4 Dell Dimension 5150 desktops that are pretty much stock other than upgraded memory (4 gigs). If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. The boss is pushing to get the systems upgraded so we can upgrade our software. Thank you all in advance for all of your help.

I am kind of getting into a time crunch here and the boss is getting impatient. I'm not sure what it is that I need to upgrade my Dell Dimension 5150 desktops and I could use some advice. According to the software company (DVMAX Veterinary Software) I need to have an Intel Dual-Core 2.0 Ghz or higher processor, currently they have Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz. I just need to know what type of processor I can buy that would fit their requirements and work with my computers. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so very much for helping this less than tech savvy girl.