Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Build Opinions Please!

Last response: in Systems
January 13, 2012 1:37:18 AM

Hi guys.

In the coming weeks I plan on either building a Z68/1155 rig or just making changes to my current X58/1366 rig (core i7 920).

With both of them, I am moving to small form factor (mATX) because I have lately begun to favor some of these small cases and I have chosen a Silverstone FT03B to work in.

With the 1366 platform, I need to really only buy a new mobo - Asus Rampage III Gene. I have the PSU, RAM, GPUs (2x MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk).

With the 1155 on the other hand, it requires a new mobo (Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z), ram, and of course cpu - I plan on going with an i7 2700K if I choose this option.

I mainly play games such as BF3 and WoW(I know, it doesn't require a powerful rig), stream music, surf.. That's about it.

Overall, the cost is going to be about the same for both builds because I am also getting new fans, hard drives, a BD rom, sleeve material, etc. Minor variations between the two basically bring the cost to within $150 of each other.

My bottom line question is: Would you guys stay with the X58 or move to the Z68, or wait until there are some mATX X79 boards available and intel release their more consumer-friendly Skt-2011 cpus?

More about : build opinions

January 13, 2012 1:55:10 AM

I would wait for ivy bridge, it should be out in less than 6 months.

I don't think the 1155 is enough of a step up from the 1366 to warrant the expenditure at this point.
Score

Best solution

January 13, 2012 7:02:26 PM

With your graphics card setup, if you want to move into the FT03, the Asus Rampage III Gene is the way to go and keep the rest of the stuff the same.

Many tests lately have shown that the i7 920 can still run a 560TI SLI just fine and not bottleneck, so no point in upgrading at this time.
Especially if you overclock the 920.

X79 just isn't worth it, if you feel like you must upgrade from the 920, then sandy bridge is the way to go and as listed the asus maximus iv gene-z about the best option there is. But then you also don't need the i7 2700k, as you will get just as good perfomance from i5 2500k since the most demanding stuff you do is gaming.
Related resources
January 13, 2012 9:25:19 PM

rvilkman said:
With your graphics card setup, if you want to move into the FT03, the Asus Rampage III Gene is the way to go and keep the rest of the stuff the same.

Many tests lately have shown that the i7 920 can still run a 560TI SLI just fine and not bottleneck, so no point in upgrading at this time.
Especially if you overclock the 920.

X79 just isn't worth it, if you feel like you must upgrade from the 920, then sandy bridge is the way to go and as listed the asus maximus iv gene-z about the best option there is. But then you also don't need the i7 2700k, as you will get just as good perfomance from i5 2500k since the most demanding stuff you do is gaming.

Sticking with my 920 I think is what I may end up doing. The Rampage III Gene looks very awesome and has outstanding reviews.. It also offers USB3.0 and SATA6Gbps, and TWO PCIe X16 slots, and decent onboard audio. My current board doesn't offer any of that, but it can do x16/x8/x8. And it's not SFF.

Lastly, would you (being me) stick with Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 or Get some Patriot Viper Xtreme 2000Mhz

I understand that real world tests don't show much of a difference unless doing something very memory intensive, but since I'm selling most of my old platform to a buddy, I figured if I let him keep the current Corsair ram I would get something a bit faster so I have the extra "headroom" for overclocking, so to speak. whatcha think? I appreciate your input! Thanks bunches

Score
January 14, 2012 1:08:58 AM

You really won't notice a difference with the memory, so 1600mhz memory is still the way to go.
You can probably get twice the memory or for much cheaper when getting that instead of the 2000Mhz one.
Score
January 16, 2012 5:24:10 AM

Best answer selected by karash5050.
Score
!