Physx, is it worth it?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
So I have just got my hands on a saphire 6970 (for 210 :) ) I have found online that there is a patch that allows you to use a nvidia card with an ati card and have it as a designated physx card. My question is, is it worth it?
my rig

phenom 2 980
Saphire 6970 (not overclocking)
4 gb crucial ballistix (upgrading to 8gb corsair dominator)
ocz 700w modxstream (upgrading very soon to xfx black edition 850)
gigabyte ga-ma790gp-ud4h

Thinking of potentially getting an 8800gtx for the physx if it is really worth having, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also the one other thing I was wondering is, is there any danger in using this mod? could I fry my motherboard or anything? If there is even the slightest risk I won't be doing it.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Google list of physx enabled games.
Then look at how many of them you are currently playing a lot.
Then decide if its wort it or not

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hmm the only 1 I play is metro 2033 really. maybe not worth it then unless this tech will be around for a long while maybe? think I will just be happy with my 6970 for the time being then :)

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
also, what I meant was, does it make a noticeable difference in gaming? will I go wow, im glad I forked out the money for that designated physx card, or will I just be wondering what the difference is?

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

See. Not that difficult decision to make.

About a 5 to 10fps increase in that one game you like playing. Minus the money spent, extra heat and power usage and it = to?

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Gnomio Makes a great point for the boost your going to get i wouldn't do it.... i was faced with that same question a while back and i decided against it as well. If you notice the PhysX will be off loaded to your CPU witch is more than capable than handling it

sidnitzerglobin

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
I've been debating this myself

There are 3 titles on that list that interest me and I've got a spare 8800GT collecting dust at the moment and a PCIe x16 slot to spare.

Still not sure if it's worth the hassle/power consumption though.

Depends on which game you're playing, but with Metro 2033 you won't notice much difference. Particles and debris fly off the walls when you shoot at them. For me, the more visuals the better, but I would only recommend it for you if you play Mafia 2, Unreal Tournament 3, or any of the Batman: Arkham games. In fact, I wouldn't even bother with any of those games without GPU physx enabled.

As someone who's done it... no. I played all the decent PhysX games in about a month and that's it. No more. PhysX is rarely used anymore. Batman gets a little bit of cloth physics and some papers fly around the ground. Metro 2033 gets a little more smoke. Mafia 2 actually had a lot of PhysX, that was cool. Tons and tons of particles and such. Mirror's Edge only used it for cloth, really. Cryostasis did make good use of it with water physics, but it actually wasn't all that impressive in the end. All it really added was more water droplets that could interact with objects.

I'd say it's only worthwhile if you already have an old Nvidia card laying around or can get one for a super low price, and plan on trying out all those games.