i5 2500k
Corsair 1600MHz RAM
MSI 7770 GPU
600W OCZ PSU
WD HDDs

New Build for a friend with parts from old build
MSI P67A C43 B3
i3 2120
1 8GB stick of Corsair 1600MHz RAM (different than RAM from old build)
MSI 7770 GPU
430W Corsair CX430 PSU
WD Blue HDD

I just upgraded my main rig and used the old Motherboard and GPU in a build for a friend. The old build had been working normally. Right before I disassembled it, I updated the BIOS to the newest version because the version I had didn't support the i3 2120. I installed the build in a new case and tried to boot it up. All of the components in the case seem to power on fine, but then I get 3 beeps. The 1st beep is slightly longer then the second two. I didn't even notice they were different lengths until a few boots later. The monitor stays in sleep mode though.

When I thought it was 3 equal length beeps, I switched out the RM for a different stick. It was the same type though, they came together as 16GB. This didn't change anything and I listened closer and noticed the first beep was slightly longer. I found the beep codes posted as a reply on a blog post that said 1 long 2 short was a GPU error, so I removed the 7770 and installed an old 4600 or 4700 series (can' remember, but it shouldn't matter). I used this GPU formerly with this same MB until about 5 months ago and it worked fine.

Monitor is connected by DVI, if that makes a difference.

Please help me to figure out what the problem is. This MB worked fine in my old build a few weeks ago. Could the BIOS update have caused a problem? In the old build, I used the MSI Live Utility to flash the BIOS from within Windows. After it finished, it restarted and I pulled up the BIOS and the version number had changed to the newest version.

Thanks in advance.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Have not tried resetting the CMOS, I will try that.
I'm planning on trying the RAM tonight, haven't had a chance yet though.
GPU is definitely inserted and connected properly.

Thanks for your help.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Tried the RAM form the old build and got the same error. Tried the new RAM I got for the old build in the new build and I got the same error.

So I doubt it's the RAM. It's either the GPU, Motherboard, or CPU.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Well I tried an old 4600 Radeon in my friend's build and got the same error, so i don't think i need to try the 7870, I'm not sure the PSU could handle it anyways. Do I need to test the other PSU when the CX430 powers everything on? Seems like that would be unnecessary. It seems to be narrowed down to Motherboard or CPU. I don't want to test the 2500k in the old build in case the MB got a bent pin or something... I don't have the money to replace it now.

Any other tests I could do to determine whether the problem is the MB or CPU? Maybe tests that don't require using parts from my new build... Something like removing the CPU and seeing if the MB even notices.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

I took the 7770 from the old rig and put it in the new rig. It posted and booted fine. Wrong resolution and I had to restart it after the first boot, but no problems with POST at all and worked fine on 2nd boot.

So GPU and RAM are not the problem, since they work fine in my new build.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
MB worked fine a few days ago though. Anyway I can be sure? (other than trying a different CPU in MB)

I'm thinking about taking it out of the case and building it and checking along the way.

Got this reply on another forum:
"not that this would happen with intel usually but I had the same thing happen with my old build. I removed a fx8150 from the mobo and reinstalled a 4100 into it. The cpu slot on the mobo broke. How i found out was I left the computer on for an hour and the cpu did heat up the cooler with no fan. So try leaving it on if it doesnt get hot than go ahead and swap in your 2500k and if that works that you have a DOA processor and if it doesnt than could be your mobo finally bit the dust."

Confused by this part "How i found out was I left the computer on for an hour and the cpu did heat up the cooler with no fan." Would like to try this out though (minus putting the 2500k back in).

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
A member of another forum may have figured out what the problem is. The beep codes signify a video adapter error even though the GPU works fine. However, the i3 CPU has onboard video, but my motherboard doesn't support onboard video. How could I fix this?

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
It doesn't default to it though. I put the i3 in my new board and it worked and I put the 2500k in the old board and got the same error. So the problem is definitely with the Motherboard, specifically the updated BIOS.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Yeah, I have no idea why I was able to get into the BIOS on the first try, but not since then. I tried a configuration that was basically the same (minus the case, PSU, and HDD which shouldn't affect this). So there's no way to restore original BIOS then? Looks like the only jumper is for clearing CMOS.

It's still under warranty so I was thinking about trying to get it replaced, but the GPU slot retaining tab snapped off awhile ago and I'm not sure if they will decline it because of this. Don't want to waist money on shipping it.