• Sound Cards
  • Asus
  • Monitors
  • HDMI
  • Samsung
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 25, 2012 6:55:21 PM

Hello, I am having an issue with my setup. I have an Asus 1080p monitor that I use as my main monitor and an older Samsung 720p TV as a second monitor. I have the Asus hooked up through HDMI into my graphics card, and the Samsung hooked up through HDMI to the motherboard. When I test sound through the playback devices, the Asus monitor will play sound, my mixamp that I have hooked up through optical will play sound, but my Samsung will not. It won't even recognize it as speakers when just plugged in through HDMI, and when I plug in the white/red cables to the green input on the back it recognizes it, but won't play any sound. Thanks for your help.

More about : sound monitor

a b C Monitor
April 25, 2012 7:41:46 PM

Whats the motherboard, are you sure it can pass audio through to the TV. Some of the older HDMI boards and graphics cards could not do sound, or if they could they needed an internal patch cord to the sound board.

If the board HDMI can do sound check to make sure that the onboard sound card is enabled in the bios. Then check that the onboard sound card is installed and active in the windows control panel.

Windows 7 can use multiple sound cards at a time but sound will only output from the default sound card, unless your program has an option to select audio devices.

A TV can not take video in from HDMI and audio in from composits (red white). When the TV has HDMI enabled all other ports are turned off as it is looking for audio from the HDMI. The red and white RCA audio is normally bound to the Yellow, svideo, or the component input.
m
l
April 25, 2012 8:07:56 PM

bucknutty said:
Whats the motherboard, are you sure it can pass audio through to the TV. Some of the older HDMI boards and graphics cards could not do sound, or if they could they needed an internal patch cord to the sound board.

If the board HDMI can do sound check to make sure that the onboard sound card is enabled in the bios. Then check that the onboard sound card is installed and active in the windows control panel.

Windows 7 can use multiple sound cards at a time but sound will only output from the default sound card, unless your program has an option to select audio devices.

A TV can not take video in from HDMI and audio in from composits (red white). When the TV has HDMI enabled all other ports are turned off as it is looking for audio from the HDMI. The red and white RCA audio is normally bound to the Yellow, svideo, or the component input.

This motherboard is - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, it's enabled in the bios not sure how to check if it's installed/active in control panel.

My TV has red/white audio plugs that go specifically with the HDMI port, I used this with an older laptop that only did video with HDMI and had to plug the red/white plugs into the audio jack on the computer to get the audio to work as well.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
April 25, 2012 8:49:01 PM

Lets check that the onboard sound card is installed in and active in windows.

Go to control panel
system
device manger
click on sound and audio devices.
How many sound cards are listed there? You should see 2 or even 3 depending on the video card. The sound chips attached to the video card should be labeled as either Nvidia or ATI HD audio device. The one that is simply HD audio device or maybe even realtek HD audio device is your onboard sound card.

Look to see if any of the sound cards has a down arrow for off line or a yellow! for no driver.

If that looks good Lets see if we can get audio from the onboard Realtek ALC892.

go to control panel
sound
under playback how many devices do you have? (speakers on HD audio Device should be listed 2 or even 3 times.) The HD audio device should be labled by if its ATI, nvidia or realtek.
The realtek one should be your mobo. Realtek ALC892 Click on it and hit configure then hit test. The test sounds should come out of your TV. If you want that to be the default sound card right click and set as default.
m
l
April 25, 2012 8:54:46 PM

bucknutty said:
Lets check that the onboard sound card is installed in and active in windows.

Go to control panel
system
device manger
click on sound and audio devices.
How many sound cards are listed there? You should see 2 or even 3 depending on the video card. The sound chips attached to the video card should be labeled as either Nvidia or ATI HD audio device. The one that is simply HD audio device or maybe even realtek HD audio device is your onboard sound card.

Look to see if any of the sound cards has a down arrow for off line or a yellow! for no driver.

If that looks good Lets see if we can get audio from the onboard Realtek ALC892.

go to control panel
sound
under playback how many devices do you have? (speakers on HD audio Device should be listed 2 or even 3 times.) The HD audio device should be labled by if its ATI, nvidia or realtek.
The realtek one should be your mobo. Realtek ALC892 Click on it and hit configure then hit test. The test sounds should come out of your TV. If you want that to be the default sound card right click and set as default.

Yeah under Sounds I have my AMD HDMI output from my video card which makes my Asus monitor speakers work, my optical output for my headset, and Realtek High Definition Audio which would be for the Samsung.. I hit test and no sound plays from my TV (and no my TV isn't muted and the sound is turned up)
m
l
a b C Monitor
April 25, 2012 9:14:39 PM

So the onboard HDMI and the optical headset are both output by the realtek HD chip. That chip should be 8.1 so that should not be an issue but maybe it is.

Maybe that chip or the driver can only have 1 output at a time. Like when you plug in the headset maybe the driver is turning off the rear jack and the HDMI sound. (it assumes your waring a headset why would you want speakers too).

Does the HDMI work with the optical unplugged? Will both the green minijack and optical work at the same time?

There an option in the realtek manager to enable all ports, or to enable multiple streams from differnt ports(unlink ports). I think this is the key, you want to tell the computer to not turn off extra ports when a headset is plugged in.
m
l
April 25, 2012 9:43:27 PM

bucknutty said:
So the onboard HDMI and the optical headset are both output by the realtek HD chip. That chip should be 8.1 so that should not be an issue but maybe it is.

Maybe that chip or the driver can only have 1 output at a time. Like when you plug in the headset maybe the driver is turning off the rear jack and the HDMI sound. (it assumes your waring a headset why would you want speakers too).

Does the HDMI work with the optical unplugged? Will both the green minijack and optical work at the same time?

There an option in the realtek manager to enable all ports, or to enable multiple streams from differnt ports(unlink ports). I think this is the key, you want to tell the computer to not turn off extra ports when a headset is plugged in.

Ok I tried unplugging the optical cable and disabling it and the TV speakers still didn't work and then I plugged in a pair of old Apple headphones to the green port while the optical cable was also connected and both the Apple headphones and the optical headphones worked fine. I just tested the HDMI + red/white to 3.5mm jack on my laptop and it worked fine, although if I unplugged the HDMI cable the sound from the audio jack would stop too. I'm thinking the green audio port isn't "linked" to the HDMI cable on the motherboard so it's not working or something like that. I have no idea if that could even be an issue.
m
l
April 29, 2012 12:21:13 AM

So no one knows huh :\
m
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b Ô Samsung
February 27, 2013 11:08:06 PM

Hi imitate,

Am not sure if you have your answer already?

I had the same problem. I could get sound from my pc but not from my samsung tv when it was connected and used as a second screen.

What i found out is (which might be the answer your looking for) i have a icon next to the time and date at the bottom right hand corner of my pc that says ' realtek hd audio manager'. By clicking on that i can set as default where id like the sound to come out from. so if i was to play a movie on my pc. (i select duplicate these displays so that both pc and tv show the same thing. (you can extend etc each to their own i guess) once the films running on the tv i simply select the tv to be the deafult audio setting from the 'audio manager' and walaaaa it works... to get sound back to you pc select the pc to be your delfault audio etc.

Am sure there a better ways to make this work. However this way has worked for me.

I hope this has helped

Dilson
m
l
!