Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build W/3 monitors...advice needed.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 15, 2011 9:49:26 AM

I need some advice on which graphics card/cards I should buy. Its a new build with a gigabyte z68 mobo and i plan on buying an i5 2500k cpu. Powered with 850 watts thermaltake and geil 16 gb ddr3 1600. i have 3 monitors that are vga only which will be used mostly for trading stocks etc. I plan on adding 1 more higher end monitor with digital inputs in the future for gaming/movies etc. Should i buy dual crossfire/eyefinity cards? Can i run my 3 vga monitors with dvi to vga cables with two of those cards? Can someone please help me make the right choice.

Thankyou
DB

Best solution

November 15, 2011 10:21:36 AM

there is no need for crossfire or sli for your setup as described.
Suggestion1
get an ati card that can handle 3 monitors, dvi-card-output to vga-monitor-input is feasible via adapter or cable

Suggestion2
buy one powerful gpu-card for gaming, as suggested, and connect monitor1 that could show your games and use the second port for monitor2 as extended desktop for trading stocks etc.
since you have a z68 motherboard, i presume that it has a second pci-e so you could get a cheap graphic card and hook up the monitor3 and monitor4, again extended desktop for stock trading etc.

Cheers,
November 15, 2011 10:35:36 AM

Thankyou. Suggestion 2 is the way i will go. Could you tell me the two cards you would buy as an example?
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2011 10:36:35 AM

Best answer selected by deki77.
m
l
November 15, 2011 10:56:53 AM

well, all depends on budget but i could suggest depending on "gaming" card brand selected to get the same brand for the second so as to avoid driver conflicts, ie 2 nvidia cards or 2 ati cards.
personally, i am using an nvidia gtx560ti for gaming and i am using an old 8400gs that was available to me.

hope it helps.
m
l
November 15, 2011 11:41:28 AM

Great, Just put my order in. Thanks again tooold!!!
m
l
!