New build W/3 monitors...advice needed.

deki77

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I need some advice on which graphics card/cards I should buy. Its a new build with a gigabyte z68 mobo and i plan on buying an i5 2500k cpu. Powered with 850 watts thermaltake and geil 16 gb ddr3 1600. i have 3 monitors that are vga only which will be used mostly for trading stocks etc. I plan on adding 1 more higher end monitor with digital inputs in the future for gaming/movies etc. Should i buy dual crossfire/eyefinity cards? Can i run my 3 vga monitors with dvi to vga cables with two of those cards? Can someone please help me make the right choice.

Thankyou
DB

Solution
there is no need for crossfire or sli for your setup as described.
Suggestion1
get an ati card that can handle 3 monitors, dvi-card-output to vga-monitor-input is feasible via adapter or cable

Suggestion2
buy one powerful gpu-card for gaming, as suggested, and connect monitor1 that could show your games and use the second port for monitor2 as extended desktop for trading stocks etc.
since you have a z68 motherboard, i presume that it has a second pci-e so you could get a cheap graphic card and hook up the monitor3 and monitor4, again extended desktop for stock trading etc.

Cheers,

tooold

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
there is no need for crossfire or sli for your setup as described.
Suggestion1
get an ati card that can handle 3 monitors, dvi-card-output to vga-monitor-input is feasible via adapter or cable

Suggestion2
buy one powerful gpu-card for gaming, as suggested, and connect monitor1 that could show your games and use the second port for monitor2 as extended desktop for trading stocks etc.
since you have a z68 motherboard, i presume that it has a second pci-e so you could get a cheap graphic card and hook up the monitor3 and monitor4, again extended desktop for stock trading etc.

Cheers,

Solution

tooold

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
well, all depends on budget but i could suggest depending on "gaming" card brand selected to get the same brand for the second so as to avoid driver conflicts, ie 2 nvidia cards or 2 ati cards.
personally, i am using an nvidia gtx560ti for gaming and i am using an old 8400gs that was available to me.

hope it helps.