Building new PC - What needs updating and in what order?

pcdad

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
In building my new pc this weekend,I am concerned about what components need updating,when, and in what order?
I am using a Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo, Diamond 677PE51GB GPU, I5-2500k.

Are all updates done after the computer is built and the OS installed?

Crucial has a firmware update iso

Asus has 33 different downloads for the mobo

Diamond has updates but I cannot find my exact model

Thanks.... I want to be sure I am doing the right steps in the right order.

Solution
It's a good question.

I'll tell you how to do it right. Probably not the way I would do it honestly, but the way it should be done.

The only thing you might want to do first is check the BIOS version of the motherboard and compare it to available BIOS versions. If you see a BIOS update that seems important, then follow instructions and get it.

Then do your SSD firmware update, if needed.

After that install the operating system.
Next, use the Asus DVD and install all available drivers from that, but don't install any utilities for overclocking or such.

Get your video drivers from AMD, not Creative, and install those next.

Do all your Windows updates.
It's a good question.

I'll tell you how to do it right. Probably not the way I would do it honestly, but the way it should be done.

The only thing you might want to do first is check the BIOS version of the motherboard and compare it to available BIOS versions. If you see a BIOS update that seems important, then follow instructions and get it.

Then do your SSD firmware update, if needed.

After that install the operating system.
Next, use the Asus DVD and install all available drivers from that, but don't install any utilities for overclocking or such.

Get your video drivers from AMD, not Creative, and install those next.

Do all your Windows updates.

Solution

pcdad

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Thanks for your helpful reply!

Motherboard - I checked the BIOS version on the board and compared it to the version on the Asus website and it matches.

SSD - I am not clear on how to find if I need the Crucial update, 0009. If it is determined that I do, how do I do it without an OS installed? Will the motherboard recognize an iso update from a flash drive and without UltraIso?

Next step - install operating system, WIN7 Home Premium.

Next step - Use Asus DVD and install drivers. Will it be obvious which are overclocking utilities? Why are these not installed and when do I install them?

Next step - Obtain and install video drivers.
Does it matter where drivers are installed? Can I create a folder called "Drivers" and sub folders by component to load the drivers for better file management?

Next step - Windows updates

Am I missing anything else that is needed for a successful build? Thanks!

You want to do the Crucial firmware update first, because there is always a chance of failure resulting in lost data etc. If Crucial requires the firmware update be installed from the OS, then do it right after the MB drivers are installed and a fresh reboot.

Utilities should be mostly well labeled. They can be a source of issues so you want to be sure you have a completely stable system before using them.

The Catalyst driver suite will be downloaded and then executed, at that point it will install into it's own directory and the drivers will go to their proper place. You can then delete the original download if you like.