Solved

First Build: Need Advice!

I'm planning on using my Samsung 32" LCD TV as a monitor via HDMI; I've heard of ghosting/lag issues, should I be worried?
I've never built a computer before so I'm looking for any and all advice on quality of these products, bang for my buck, compatibility, upgradability, etc.

DIAMOND Radeon HD 7970 7970PE53G Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814103201

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16827135204

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817139010

AMD FX-8120 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ Eight-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819103961

Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822148767

Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811139009

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231460

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813128514

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16832116986

$1420.92

Thank you in advance for your help!
-G
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about first build advice
  1. Your video card indicates that you are building a gaming machine. In that case, an i5K is a better CPU than the Bulldozer chip.

    Because this is your first build, look at the following threads while you are waiting for your parts.
    Build it yourself:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step-guide-building

    And although this primarily a troubleshooting thread, the first part contains a checklist that will catch most noob mistakes:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

    And I recommend breadboarding a new build:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding
    It doesn't take long, and it lets you test your parts before you install them in the case.
  2. Its a great build.
  3. Most 32" LCD TV's are 720p. What a waste of a $550, 7970 video card.
  4. My TV is 1080p. Is it still a waste? Is getting a small monitor going to give me higher resolution, better picture, higher FPS or..?
    -G
  5. I agree with jsc and DelroyMonjo. Even at 1080p, from the review I read over at HardOCP, that card looks like overkill; a single HD6970 would be sufficient. Diamond is on my personal "Do not buy" list for numerous reasons (included driver issues, inaccessible and/or incompetent support, broken web site, product unrecognized by ATi/AMD drivers, etc; just a general aura of incompetence that leaves me with no reason to buy). I'd suggest any other brand.
    Also, Bulldozer is not the way to go for games. If you are a die-hard AMD fan, get a Phenom II X4 970BE (although I'd still suggest Intel).
  6. jsc said:
    Your video card indicates that you are building a gaming machine. In that case, an i5K is a better CPU than the Bulldozer chip.

    Because this is your first build, look at the following threads while you are waiting for your parts.
    Build it yourself:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step-guide-building

    And although this primarily a troubleshooting thread, the first part contains a checklist that will catch most noob mistakes:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

    And I recommend breadboarding a new build:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding
    It doesn't take long, and it lets you test your parts before you install them in the case.


    Thanks jsc, all those links were and will be very helpful. The breadboarding is a little over my head, I really have no experience AT ALL with this, but I will try and follow step by step.

    So, would buying a nice monitor make the video card worthwhile? Can you guys suggest similarly performing Nvidia/Intel products at a similar price?
    Will an i5K be compatible with all of the other parts?
  7. Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
    30$ more, will this CPU perform better, and work with my MOBO?

    I chose the DIAMOND video card because Newegg is out of EVERY other brand that makes the Radeon HD 7970, that was literally my only choice. Is there a considerably cheaper video card you guys would recommend that I could pick up for a couple months and sell later when the new lines come out?
  8. You will need an Intel chipset mobo like a Z68, with socket 1155.

    I'd suggest getting a single HD6970, or if you prefer nVidia, a GTX570.
  9. Onus said:
    You will need an Intel chipset mobo like a Z68, with socket 1155.

    I'd suggest getting a single HD6970, or if you prefer nVidia, a GTX570.


    Great advice, thank you.
    What brand name would you guys suggest if I went an Intel motherboard?
  10. Asus is my favorite but gigabyte,MSi,AsRock,are good too.for graphics card,MSi is best IMO(i am not a fanboy!)
  11. i5 is recommended over the i7? Is that because of price or?
  12. froyman said:
    i5 is recommended over the i7? Is that because of price or?


    The i7 has a bunch of extra technologies that don't translate into gaming (like hyperthreading) and are mainly meant for high end design and graphics programs like CS5, and that's mainly because there's not a lot of games that support it yet.

    Quote:
    You will need an Intel chipset mobo like a Z68, with socket 1155.

    I'd suggest getting a single HD6970, or if you prefer nVidia, a GTX570.


    I'd second this. If you want brand recommendations - EVGA for NVIDIA, and XFX and Sapphire for Radeon.

    Quote:
    Asus is my favorite but gigabyte,MSi,AsRock,are good too.for graphics card,MSi is best IMO(i am not a fanboy!)


    Personally I'm more of an EVGA fan than MSI for NVIDIA, at least.

    If you want motherboard recommendations this is what I usually go with:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128506
  13. Most of the time it's recommended, it's because the i5 is essentially the same as the i7 as far as gaming is concerned. The only real differences are Hyper-Threading and 2MB of L3 Cache. I disable Hyper-Threading on my i7 as it's really a rather gimmicky feature.

    The Samsung TV is really a concern though. You'll have to consult he documentation and ensure that you switch the TV to it's "Game Mode" otherwise you'll have latency issues between your actions and what shows up on screen. You can also disable any extraneous features like smoothing, noise filter, etc to ensure the snappiest response time.
  14. Okay I'm concerned about the TV. I have not found a game mode. When hooked up to my 7 year old dell XPS laptop through HDMI it performs perfectly; but I'm playing very graphic simplistic games. It's a Samsung 32" LCD 1080p Model #: LN32C530. I haven't had any success finding any forum posts about this TV being used for PC gaming.
    Possible solution: I don't use this TV, it has sat on my bookcase for over a year collecting dust. Should I just sell it and buy a nice computer monitor? Do you guys have suggestions in the 200-275$ range?
    -G
  15. Build Number Two: Welcoming any and all suggestions!

    SAPPHIRE 100311-3SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102957

    ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

    CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

    Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

    Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009

    G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

    Subtotal: $1,228.92

    Thanks in advance!
    -G
  16. pretty good selection.that PSU is good but expensive.TX750w V2 is enough.
  17. an aftermarket cooler will help you overclock and better cooling of your CPU.
  18. hellfire24 said:
    an aftermarket cooler will help you overclock and better cooling of your CPU.

    Could you provide a link? I'm not quite savvy enough yet.
  19. froyman said:
    The breadboarding is a little over my head, ...

    All you are doing is building a caseless computer.
  20. froyman said:
    Build Number Two: Welcoming any and all suggestions!

    SAPPHIRE 100311-3SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102957

    ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

    CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

    Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

    Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009

    G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

    Subtotal: $1,228.92

    Thanks in advance!
    -G


    That is a *HUGE* improvement over the last build. And I'll second the recommendation of getting an aftermarket cooler. Other than that this is what I would go with.
  21. Final Build (Hopefully): Comments and suggestions please!

    SAPPHIRE 100311-3SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102954

    ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

    CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

    Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

    Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009

    G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

    Intel Ultimate N 633ANHMW Mini PCI Express Ultimate N 633ANHMW Wireless Adapter
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106062

    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

    Subtotal: $1,363.89

    The things I'm most uncomfortable with are the case (I can't be sure if everything will fit, and I've just noticed quite a few negative reviews on newegg but I'm not sure what's best and no one has said anything on here about it), the wireless adapter (they all seem the same to me, I just picked an expensive one with a good brand name), the aftermarket cooler (I just picked what was suggested, person who suggested it seemed knowledgeable), and the power supply (not sure if it's enough wattage for future additions of video cards).

    Thanks to g-unit1111, jsc, hellfire24, Xenturion, and jtt283 for taking the time to look at my thread and provide your priceless insight, THANK YOU!
    -G

    P.S. Have I covered all my bases? Do I need to purchase ANYTHING else? Special tools, hardware, software? I have Norton already.
  22. Best answer
    very well done brother!that case is awesome.your components will fit easily in it.if you want to save some money that we can bust you some buck ;)
    otherwise it's really awesome.post pics after the build if possible.
  23. Best answer selected by froyman.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product