Prime95 unstable and now it won't boot to OS

zapp7

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hi all, first time posting here at Tom's Hardware.

ASUS P8Z77-V LK
Core i5 3470
Intel SSD 120GB
ASUS Geforce GTX 650 Ti OC
8 GB AMD RAM
2 WD Caviar black 640GB
1 WD Blue 500GB

I have been getting the odd BSOD (once every couple of days) and my system is Prime95 unstable (the Blend test fails about half an hour in, small FFT takes about 4.5 hours before failing). This all started since I upgraded to this mobo, CPU and RAM.

I have run Memtest on each stick of RAM for 25+ passes and there have been no errors. I am not overclocking whatsoever.

In an attempt to further troubleshoot, I stripped the system down to just the mobo, CPU, one RAM stick and the SSD. (I plugged the monitor's DVI into the mobo's port.) The system posts and shows the ASUS screen but when it attempts to boot to the OS, it just resets and does it all over again! I thought maybe it was because there was no CD drive connected, so I connected that and I am able to boot to the memtest CD, but it still resets when trying to enter the OS. I'm a bit baffled as to why it boots with all of the peripherals connected but is failing to enter the OS in the stripped-down setup.

Any ideas?

zapp7

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
I repaired the master boot record using the Windows 7 CD and I can get into the OS now... strange...

Anyway I'll keep troubleshooting my stability issues and post the final result here.