Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Ivy Bridge 3770k or 3820?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 26, 2012 1:56:12 AM

With the "release" of the new Ivy Bridge and comparisons which processor do you think I should get? Here are my parts and what I will use my PC for:

CPU: 3820 or 3770k
Mob: Sabertooth X79 or Similarly good LGA 1155w/ ivy
GPU: 7970
PSU: 800w Corsair
120Gb SSD + 1TB HD
16GB Ram Quad channel with X79 or 16GB Ram Dual with 1155.

Uses:
1. Game Design (all fields, I want to be able to do anything regarding to see which I like more. Includes high end dev kits).
2. Adobe Master Suite (primarily After Effects, Premiere, and Photoshop)
3. Gaming.
4. Game Modding (goes with 1 kinda).
5. Misc: Movies, Downloads, Music, Tv, Videos, etc.

I just want to see something and know my computer can run it well (besides crazy quadfire benchmarks, I'm NOT planning on upgrading any major parts anytime soon.) especially when I spend around $2000 for this computer.

THANKS!!!! Please answer guys, other websites *cough Overclock.net cough* nobody answers. Counting on you TH!

More about : ivy bridge 3770k 3820

April 26, 2012 2:27:28 AM

gary1 said:
Looking at these benches, I would go for the 3770k. Make sure you have sufficient cooling as they run much much hotter than Sandy Bridge.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/the-intel-ivy-bridge...

Even with giving up a LGA 2011 board and quad channel Ram? I would figure it would be faster :/  I dunno.
m
l
Related resources
April 26, 2012 3:03:39 AM

Hmm, I would go for the 3820 as it offers quad channel memory and 40 PCIE lanes. It also has an upgrade path to some very powerful CPUs. If you primarily game, go for Ivy Bridge. If you are concerned with content creation, take the 3820.
m
l
April 26, 2012 8:21:05 AM

Im asking myself the same question. But i just decided im going for the 3820. The Motherboards of the x79 are more expensive but do support Quad-Channel (which im going to use). The Processor units of x79 are bigger. What means it has better contact with your cooling. Only the 3820 is not fully unlocked. But u can overclock easy 600mhz pcore. I wouldnt go any higher anyway for a 24/7 overclock.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 26, 2012 9:45:30 AM

The only good reason for going for 3820 is that it offers an upgrade path for hex core CPUs, like the 3930k, the 3960x or the Ivy equivalent when they come out next year (or end of this year).

Performance wise you will not get any benefit from the quad channel RAM as a Z77/3770K setup is not bandwidth limited. Similarly, you will get no benefit from the higher PCIe bandwidth as you wouldn't be bandwidth limited on Z77. This is true even with a very fast GPU configuration, such as CF 7970.

The main benefit of the Z77 platform is that you can get an unlocked i7 for sensible money. Its closest socket 2011 equivalent is the 3820, which will give you roughly similar performance but with very limited scope for overclocking.

If the decision is made in isolation (ie made in the absence of any consideration of future upgrades) then the picture is a slam dunk in favour of the Z77/3770K combo. You will get faster performance (after overclocking) and no downside.

If, however, you want an upgrade path to hex core, the situation reverses. In that case a Z79/3820 makes more sense. Actually, if you can find the budget, the best option for your intended use would be Z79/3930K. This gives you hex core and overclockability straight away.

For your usage you need a fast CPU. Premiere Pro and After Effects are extremely CPU limited apps, and given the amount of time it can take a render a short sequence in AE, getting a top CPU is money well spent. Personally, I use a 2700K with AE and Premiere Pro. This is only a quad but nonetheless, I think you would be quite impressed with its performance in these apps. Likewise its Ivy successor, the 3770K. If you got one of these, you may conclude it is plenty fast enough.

April 26, 2012 11:26:32 AM

This is also something I am wondering, whether to go with SandyBridge-E or Ivy Bridge.

This reminds me of the time when I was debating X58 or Socket 1156 (remember them!).

At the end of the day, both are more than adequate. But the Ivy Bridge will offer better value-for-money, with PCI-E 3.0 I see no limitations with regards to the number of lanes since we're doubling the bandwidth so essentially PCI-E 3.0 at 8x is PCI-E 2.0 at full 16x. There aren't any cards that can fully saturate a PCI-E 2.0 port at the moment in any case!

This is just history repeating itself. I like the prices of the Z77 motherboards and I think the X79 chipsets are heavily overpriced for the differences in performance.

For your purposes I'd go with Ivy Bridge.
m
l
April 26, 2012 8:34:40 PM

Best answer selected by iDuskFang.
m
l
!