Quick Time Loads Auto - How get rid of?

Hi Everyone,

After installing Quick Time, it seems to load
automatically and appear at the right side of my Task
Bar. I still use Quick Time occasionally, but not
everytime. It seems to slow the machine down and so I
would like for it to load only when necessary ... not
every time I start up the machine automatically.

How do I change this? If I right click on the icon, it
doesn't give me an option to "turn this feature off".

J Lo

Right-click on the QuickTime icon in the system tray.
Select QuickTime Preferences and remove the checkmark
next to "QuickTime system tray icon", then close the window.

Next, go to Start > Run and type: MSCONFIG , and hit enter.
Look under the Startup tab for "qttask" and uncheck the box
next to it, then click "apply" and reboot.

This procedure should solve your problem.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"J Lo" wrote:

| Hi Everyone,
|
| After installing Quick Time, it seems to load
| automatically and appear at the right side of my Task
| Bar. I still use Quick Time occasionally, but not
| everytime. It seems to slow the machine down and so I
| would like for it to load only when necessary ... not
| every time I start up the machine automatically.
|
| How do I change this? If I right click on the icon, it
| doesn't give me an option to "turn this feature off".
|
| J Lo

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:52:30 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>Right-click on the QuickTime icon in the system tray.
>Select QuickTime Preferences and remove the checkmark
>next to "QuickTime system tray icon", then close the window.
>
>Next, go to Start > Run and type: MSCONFIG , and hit enter.
>Look under the Startup tab for "qttask" and uncheck the box
>next to it, then click "apply" and reboot.
>
>This procedure should solve your problem.

A better solution is just to remove Quicktime. It's JUNK.
You can download "Quicktime Alternative" (free) that will play ALL
Quicktime files without trying to take over anything.
There is also "Real Player Alternative" available.
www.free-codecs.com/

I can not recommend these programs enough........ no bloat, no
highjacking of Windows settings....... just plays the files.... that's
all. Both Real Player and Quicktime have become increasingly
aggressive about what they want to do for you.

§kullywag©-