Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quik Case Question - help is appreciated

Last response: in Components
April 26, 2012 5:12:24 AM

To be brief, I have a HAF X Cooler Master Case that I'm using for my first build. Almost everything is assembled and sitting on my work table.

But I have two, blue USB cables that I don't know where they go, or what they hook up to. They start at the two USB ports on the case face, and they are rather long. The ends of the cables are regular USB cable ends--just as if you were hooking up any USB device to USB ports on any computer.

I don't see anything on the MOBO that would accept the USB cable ends. I know I have to plug them in somewhere in order to get power to the ports on the face, but I'm stumped.

Thank you for your help.

--Ken

a b ) Power supply
April 26, 2012 5:43:20 AM

kenkyle said:
To be brief, I have a HAF X Cooler Master Case that I'm using for my first build. Almost everything is assembled and sitting on my work table.

But I have two, blue USB cables that I don't know where they go, or what they hook up to. They start at the two USB ports on the case face, and they are rather long. The ends of the cables are regular USB cable ends--just as if you were hooking up any USB device to USB ports on any computer.

I don't see anything on the MOBO that would accept the USB cable ends. I know I have to plug them in somewhere in order to get power to the ports on the face, but I'm stumped.

Thank you for your help.

--Ken

That case was made before the implementation of the 20 pin internal USB 3.0 slot I believe. You have to run the cables out the back into your motherboard's I/O panel's USB 3.0 ports.
April 26, 2012 8:11:55 PM

Okay, I fixed the situation by running the two blue cables out the back of the case and then connecting them to the two USB 3.0 ports. That effectively transfers the ports to the face of the case.

A final question, however. There's a small circuit board with a molex receptor and it looks like a few capacitors, or whatever, placed inside the case. I have no idea what it is for, and the manual doesn't even mention it. Seems to me like it ought to be connected to something. Any ideas? Thanks.
Related resources
April 26, 2012 9:09:57 PM

it might be a switch or conrtoller for something on the front panel, im not sure though as i am not sure what you mean.

Best solution

April 26, 2012 9:14:46 PM

any other connectors on it?
April 28, 2012 10:49:09 PM

Okay, I figured it out. It's a backplate for swappable hard drives. The molex receptor is for connecting power that then feeds power to the SATA power plugs inside the bays.

--Ken
April 28, 2012 10:49:41 PM

Best answer selected by kenkyle.
April 29, 2012 12:08:05 AM

see stuff like that is always like, i dot know what it is! then you take a closer look and find out what it is then go oh why didnt i think of that?! oh an dbtw thanks for the best answer, i know it wasnt actually the best answer but i havent gotten one yet xD good luck with your new computer ken! hope it all works out for you!
!