Quik Case Question - help is appreciated

kenkyle

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
To be brief, I have a HAF X Cooler Master Case that I'm using for my first build. Almost everything is assembled and sitting on my work table.

But I have two, blue USB cables that I don't know where they go, or what they hook up to. They start at the two USB ports on the case face, and they are rather long. The ends of the cables are regular USB cable ends--just as if you were hooking up any USB device to USB ports on any computer.

I don't see anything on the MOBO that would accept the USB cable ends. I know I have to plug them in somewhere in order to get power to the ports on the face, but I'm stumped.

Thank you for your help.

--Ken

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

That case was made before the implementation of the 20 pin internal USB 3.0 slot I believe. You have to run the cables out the back into your motherboard's I/O panel's USB 3.0 ports.

kenkyle

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Okay, I fixed the situation by running the two blue cables out the back of the case and then connecting them to the two USB 3.0 ports. That effectively transfers the ports to the face of the case.

A final question, however. There's a small circuit board with a molex receptor and it looks like a few capacitors, or whatever, placed inside the case. I have no idea what it is for, and the manual doesn't even mention it. Seems to me like it ought to be connected to something. Any ideas? Thanks.

kenkyle

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Okay, I figured it out. It's a backplate for swappable hard drives. The molex receptor is for connecting power that then feeds power to the SATA power plugs inside the bays.

--Ken

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
see stuff like that is always like, i dot know what it is! then you take a closer look and find out what it is then go oh why didnt i think of that?! oh an dbtw thanks for the best answer, i know it wasnt actually the best answer but i havent gotten one yet xD good luck with your new computer ken! hope it all works out for you!