My PC won't start after installing a new CPU cooler

MrAlmighty

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hi there,

So awhile ago I successfully built a PC. Recently, I noticed that my CPU was overheating slightly so I decided to replace the stock cooler with the Corsair H60 liquid cooler. Installing the new cooler required me to place a backplate on the back of the motherboard. On attempting to unscrew the motherboard, I noticed that one of the screws had become threaded because it would rotate without actually coming loose. I tried for the best part of an hour to remove it but couldn't. It would rotate fine but wouldn't In the end, mostly out of impatience, I decided that the motherboard had enough give for me to slide the back plate under without removing the board. I did this and finished install the cooler and re-assembled my PC. Now it won't start at all. When I press the power button, nothing happens at all. Not even fans or LED's or beeping. I checked that the power switch was connected and power switch on PSU was on but it still won't start.

Have I ruined my motherboard? I bent it enough to get my fingers under it and was in a lot of contact with my fingers so static charge may have been the cause. Or is it somthing else like the new cooler causing the problem?

This is the first PC I've built so I am not very knowledgable on the subject and I realise that what I did was stupid, but is there something I can do other than get a new MB?

Verify that the cooler fan power cable is properly connected to the motherboard's CPU_Fan pins. If so, then you have likely damaged the motherboard. There are numerous circuits embedded in the mutli-layer board; bending the board may have physically damaged them rendering your board dead.

BadPeteNo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
One of the scariest computing moments for me was the first time I couldn't power on the first rig I'd built. Don't give up hope, you're not done troubleshooting yet.

As far as flexing the board, it's generally a big no-no, but I've built frankenboxes out of scrap that didn't match the cases they went into and would flex substantially when installing components and cables. I've never damaged a board bending it, but you'd never catch me deliberately bending a new board or anything worth more than five bucks.

I doubt static also. If you had your fingers under the board, you were touching the case. That's the best way to discharge static if you're not grounded. Pros will say get an antistatic wrist band, I say work on an antistatic surface (the bag your mobo came in is a good start) constantly touch the case steel to discharge static, and NEVER work on carpet (or rub balloons on a cat, and not just for static -- that cat will eff you up!).

Suggested steps:
It may seem obvious, but you'll want to unplug it from the wall before you go mucking around in there.

First, to get that screw out. If you GENTLY put an xacto knife between the screw head and board, and turn the screw, it should come out even if the socket is stripped. The threads will ride the blade and it should come free (patience is required). You'll want to replace that stripped riser. If you don't have another, just leave that screw off. The others will hold it together, just leave the stripped one in the case to support the board.

Look at the back of the board for any gouges you might have put into it. This could be the cause. I'm assuming you have an intel chip as my H100i doesn't need the backplate changed for AMD chips.

Next, unplug everything except the cpu and cooler. Connect the 24 and 8 pin power connectors, as well as the h60's power. Put in one stick of ram. Don't connect any of the front panel stuff, just use a screw driver or paper clip to jump the power pins on the front IO area (as this is all the power switch does anyway). This is the first thing any tech will tell you to do when troubleshooting a computer that won't turn on.

If that still doesn't work, try it with the stock cooler, though I doubt that will make a difference. If there is no visible damage, try making a warranty claim on your board.

If you do get it to post like that, turn it off, add more components one at a time and check to make sure it posts after each thing you plug back in. Repeat until it's all back together.

I wish you luck.

gecko242

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Second that^

Also check that the backplate is installed the right way round, as it ma be shorting the pins on your mobo.

Good luck, Sam

MrAlmighty

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hi,

Thank you all for your answers but the problem was the power button on the case front being faulty haha. So relieved. :) Thanks BadPeteNo for the advice on jumping the power pins :)