Flickering lines in render and black areas of screen

JamesL77

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hello, I previously ran a GTX470 in my computer with no issue whatsoever. The three year mark hit and the thing finally gave out. I purchased a GTX570 to replace it and I've kept the replacement 470 that EVGA sent as a backup. Ever since I've had this 570 my computer has displayed scrolling lines whenever the graphics card is in use, similar to the lines observered when recording a CRT monitor with a camera, I suppose. Well, long story short: The issue is persistent, but not consistent as the lines tend to speed up or slow down depending on hardware configuration, across two monitors, two different VGA cables, both of my graphics cards, two power outlets and surge strips, as well as two power supplies. I should also note that the lines occur across all PCI-E slots. As well, the lines will sometimes freeze when certain games are paused, or will not be visible when alt-tabbed (although this is not a rule as some programs cause the error even when minimized.)

Just recently, sections of my screen have started freezing or going black. For example a static image of my screensaver will be stuck over my desktop, however active content like the mouse and taskbar will still display. The static image will return to normal after a program is opened or I mouse over each individual segment of it, as it occurs in distinctive chunks. I believe that, considering I've replaced everything else as well as repair installed windows, that the issue is taking place in my motherboard. However, before I replace both a motherboard and a CPU (old socket type), I would like to solicit some outside opinions on the issue. What does the internet think of all this? Thank you for your input.

Current system specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @3.07ghz
RAM: G.Skill 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 530MHz (7-7-7-19)
Motherboard: EVGA 131-GT-E767 (Socket 423)
Monitor: Hanns.G HW191 (temporarily replaced by a Dell monitor at 1920x1080, lines unaffected)
GPU: 1280MB GeForce GTX570 (EVGA) (temporarily replaced by a 470, lines were scrolling faster, harder to observe in motion)
HDD: 1397GB Seagate ST31500351AS ATA
PSU: Corsair HX850 (replaced an Antec Earthwatts 750, sped up lines)

If I do need to replace the mobo I'm planning on going with an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 and an i7 of some type, like 3770k

BadPeteNo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
It could be windows or it could be your mobo. Try downloading, burning, and booting from an ubuntu live CD. If you still have the lines in ubuntu, it's probably the board. The only way to be sure would be to try everything hooked up to a different board.