Will it fit my case? Capacitors menacing me!

Maxwellok

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Hi guys. Is this the right place to ask this?

I'm going to be getting an ati 6770, most likely a sapphire like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11189-00-20G-6770-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B004XSJR5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321311687&sr=8-1

I've measured inside my case, and theoretically there is enough 3-dimensional space for it. However, there are a couple of items on my motherboard which threaten to sabotage the whole thing. Please find attached a picture.

cimg10272.jpg

a. The two black wires leading off this connection are the main issue. They're quite short, and will most likely be in contact with the "end" edge of the new card. Would this be a problem, for example the hot card melting these wires or anything?
The cables lead to two SD flash card sockets at the front, which I have never and never will use.....so is it safe to just unplug and remove the wires?

b. This wire just leads to an optical audio input (i think? those little pale yellow sockets?) at the back of the case which, again, I have never and will never use - can I just unplug it if there's going to be space issues?

c. These capacitors are what I'm most worried about. They only rise upwards from the motherboard about 1cm each, but that's higher than the top of the pci-e slot itself and they look menacing to a chunky 4cm-thick new GPU. So the biggest question I need answering is, how much clearance space is there going to be between the top of these capacitors and the "side" edges of the new Graphics Card?

My current card is a Radeon hd2400 pro, which is tiny so I can't really use this as a comparative judge....

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any advice :)

bucknutty

Distinguished
Bend the wires over so they are under the card. If the wires touch the card they will not cause any issues.

The 1 cm caps wont be and issue at all. If you like use a plastic ruler to lay flat on top of the PCIe port. If the ruler hits the caps then you might have a clearance issue.

Maxwellok

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Bucknutty helps again, thanks pal.

This is the thing, the capacitors are about 1mm higher than the top of the PCIe slot, so I was wondering if anybody else had experience with cramped old motherboards and beefy new cards.

Mind, the more I stare at the pictures of the 6770, the more I seem to be convincing myself that there's quite a lot of distance between the pins and the edge of that beefy plastic casing they've stuck on, and that I should be fine.

...Right?

bucknutty

Distinguished
I think you will be fine. I jamed an 8800gt in a crazy HP case where I had to bend a couple 2.5 cm caps over a few degrees. I dont recomend this but I did it anyway. That was 3 years ago that machine is still going strong.