Improve my build

puckhead1989

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
Good day to all of you,
I built my computer about 2 years ago and it's been great since then. I'm currently looking to improve my gaming experience a bit (mostly BF3). Here is what I got:
-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
-Coolermaster Hyper 212
-ASUS M4A78T-E ATX 790GX Socket AM3
-Coolermaster GX 750W 80+
-G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
-Powercolor Radeon HD 5870 PCS+

Any idea on what I could put in to improve my FPS (I currenlty have around 35 in medium and 40 in low).
I was thinking on going crossfire. Good idea or not? Buy a completely different card?
Budget between 200 and 400.

Thanks for you input!

g-unit1111

Titan
I'd say go Crossfire but I don't know where you'll be able to obtain another 5870 outside of eBay. If you're going to replace the card I'd say go with a GTX 570 or save up a bit and get a 7970 (but I'm not entirely sure the AMD 780 will be able to handle it).

g-unit1111

Titan

In order to get true Crossfire (same as SLI) both cards need to be exactly the same. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same manufacturer, but it does have to be the same chipset.

king_maliken

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
You specify FPS' but not the game, please let us know what game you are referring to.
If I were you, another 5870 is your best bet, but again depending on the games you play more RAM might benefit you a few frames for little coins. Also overclocking can get you a descent increase in performance too, and at that point I might suggest looking at more fans (depending on your current temps that is), or going for a basic LC setup (LC is very fun to setup, tweak and embellish; it can be a project and a half)