Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$700 Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 13, 2012 5:12:31 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: March-April

Budget Range: Under $700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Watching movies, Surfing the internet

Parts Not Required: OS, Monitor, Case, Dvd Drive, And Ram.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com, and Amazon.com.

Country: U.S.

Parts Preferences: Whatever's reliable

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: I don't know, i'm using a 19" monitor,

Additional Comments: N/A




i need help deciding on parts for my budget gaming build.

any ideas?
:) 

More about : 700 gaming build

January 13, 2012 5:38:10 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Fill this out first and then we can assist you better: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

To start with I'd recommend Intel Z68, i5-2500K, 500GB HD, and video card will depend on if you want to run multiple monitors or not.

thanks for the quick reply, i edited it. :D 
Related resources
a c 271 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
January 13, 2012 5:55:16 PM

I'm not sure I'd recommend reusing your RAM as it probably won't be compatible with your new motherboard. RAM is so cheap right now that you might as well get new. If you can reuse your hard drive that will make a huge difference in the price right now.

Based on the form (no overclocking - huge help) Try this:

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Motherboard: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681312850...
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $676
January 13, 2012 5:59:27 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I'm not sure I'd recommend reusing your RAM as it probably won't be compatible with your new motherboard. RAM is so cheap right now that you might as well get new. If you can reuse your hard drive that will make a huge difference in the price right now.

Based on the form (no overclocking - huge help) Try this:

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Motherboard: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681312850...
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $676

it's not old ram, i purchased it in december but i decided to wait on my computer.
it's g.skill rijaws x series 1600mhz 2x4gbs,
i got it cheap for $30 on newegg.
:sol: 
January 13, 2012 6:03:49 PM

wouldn't it be better to get:
i3 2100
asrock z68 gen3
and get a better gpu?
a c 271 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
January 13, 2012 6:08:32 PM

slader166 said:
wouldn't it be better to get:
i3 2100
asrock z68 gen3
and get a better gpu?


The i3-2100 is a dual core CPU, it's certainly not a bad CPU at all (I use the i3-2120 but most games now dual core is a minimum. I included the i5-2400 since it's a quad core CPU for under $200.

Having a better GPU depends on what games you want to play. If you're playing, say, Skyrim or SWTOR, or BF3 you'll need at least a 560.

The Asrock board is decent, the Gigabyte is the same one I have and I really like it so far, have had no issues with it.

Quote:

it's not old ram, i purchased it in december but i decided to wait on my computer.
it's g.skill rijaws x series 1600mhz 2x4gbs,
i got it cheap for $30 on newegg.


Gotta love the Newegg shocker deals. :lol: 
January 13, 2012 6:31:40 PM

:D 
g-unit1111 said:
The i3-2100 is a dual core CPU, it's certainly not a bad CPU at all (I use the i3-2120 but most games now dual core is a minimum. I included the i5-2400 since it's a quad core CPU for under $200.

Having a better GPU depends on what games you want to play. If you're playing, say, Skyrim or SWTOR, or BF3 you'll need at least a 560.

The Asrock board is decent, the Gigabyte is the same one I have and I really like it so far, have had no issues with it.

Quote:

it's not old ram, i purchased it in december but i decided to wait on my computer.
it's g.skill rijaws x series 1600mhz 2x4gbs,
i got it cheap for $30 on newegg.


Gotta love the Newegg shocker deals. :lol: 

well, i really like the i3 because for gaming, it's better than a phenom ii 975.
the asrock, to me, seems like the best budget board.
i only play on consoles, but my sister hoards my ps3.
i'm going to be playing, swtor/wow/bf3/mw3/and diablo 3.
oh, and i agree the shocker deals are amazing.
January 13, 2012 6:58:04 PM

g-unit1111 said:
The i3-2100 is a dual core CPU, it's certainly not a bad CPU at all (I use the i3-2120 but most games now dual core is a minimum. I included the i5-2400 since it's a quad core CPU for under $200.

Having a better GPU depends on what games you want to play. If you're playing, say, Skyrim or SWTOR, or BF3 you'll need at least a 560.

The Asrock board is decent, the Gigabyte is the same one I have and I really like it so far, have had no issues with it.

Quote:

it's not old ram, i purchased it in december but i decided to wait on my computer.
it's g.skill rijaws x series 1600mhz 2x4gbs,
i got it cheap for $30 on newegg.


Gotta love the Newegg shocker deals. :lol: 

what do you think would be the best gpu and cpu for me?
a b C Monitor
January 13, 2012 7:03:31 PM

slader - If you aren't going to OC, or use SSD caching then just get a H61 or H67 (for RAID) chipset based motherboard. p67 or especially z68 isn't needed if you don't care about those features.

If you can find the savings by not buying an unnecessary z68 motherboard, an i5-2500, 2400 or 2300 variant is better long-term than the i3. Games are actually starting to utilize more than two cores.
January 13, 2012 7:09:58 PM

What OS do you have? Is it x64 bit?
a b C Monitor
January 13, 2012 7:11:21 PM

slader166 said:
it's not old ram, i purchased it in december but i decided to wait on my computer.
it's g.skill rijaws x series 1600mhz 2x4gbs,
i got it cheap for $30 on newegg.
:sol: 


Ah, I missed this, you already have your ram. I haven't seen any H61/H67 boards that declare support for 1600mhz ram. Not sure if there are any. P67 and z68 boards do so plan accordingly.
January 13, 2012 7:36:07 PM

larkspur said:
Ah, I missed this, you already have your ram. I haven't seen any H61/H67 boards that declare support for 1600mhz ram. Not sure if there are any. P67 and z68 boards do so plan accordingly.

im going with a z68 gen3 board so that i can upgrade to ivy bridge later on. :) 
January 13, 2012 7:42:31 PM

Ok, so since you have some many items you can get a pretty good build...

CPU: i5-2500 $210 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MB: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 $100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HDD: Hitachi 500GB $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU: ASUS ENGTX560 GTX560 Ti $210 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: Corsair CX-500 $40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $640

Possibly get a Corsair TX PSU to get closer to the budget or an aftermarket cooler, like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+, or get a Radeon HD 6950.

Key things...only need 500w PSU, not overclocking so no need for cooler. Is dvd drive SATA? Is OS x64-bit?

**************HOLD UP! You are not purchasing this until March-April, then this is useless. I would come back around beginning of April after Ivy Bridge is out and then ask for a build suggestion.**************
January 13, 2012 7:47:32 PM

Delirious788 said:
Ok, so since you have some many items you can get a pretty good build...

CPU: i5-2500 $210 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MB: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 $100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HDD: Hitachi 500GB $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU: ASUS ENGTX560 GTX560 Ti $210 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: Corsair CX-500 $40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $640

Possibly get a Corsair TX PSU to get closer to the budget or an aftermarket cooler, like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+, or get a Radeon HD 6950.

Key things...only need 500w PSU, not overclocking so no need for cooler. Is dvd drive SATA? Is OS x64-bit?

64bit win7, and yes it is SATA.
do you really think that the hitachi drive is still good compared to WD or seagate?
January 13, 2012 7:50:36 PM

slader166 said:
do you really think that the hitachi drive is still good compared to WD or seagate?

It is ok, I prefer WD and Samsung over Seagate and Hitachi, and to get closer to your budget you can buy a WD or Samsung instead.
January 13, 2012 7:53:28 PM

Delirious788 said:
It is ok, I prefer WD and Samsung over Seagate and Hitachi, and to get closer to your budget you can buy a WD or Samsung instead.

so WD caviar black?
a c 271 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
January 13, 2012 8:05:45 PM

Delirious788 said:
It is ok, I prefer WD and Samsung over Seagate and Hitachi, and to get closer to your budget you can buy a WD or Samsung instead.


I completely agree there.

Quote:
**************HOLD UP! You are not purchasing this until March-April, then this is useless. I would come back around beginning of April after Ivy Bridge is out and then ask for a build suggestion.**************


Kind of true - there's things he can get now (HD, PSU, cooler) but everything else can definitely be held off but - keep in mind Ivy Bridge is still going to use the same LGA1155 and Z68 socket that the current CPUs use, and I don't think there will be new chipsets immediately but you never know.
January 13, 2012 8:15:59 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I completely agree there.

Quote:
**************HOLD UP! You are not purchasing this until March-April, then this is useless. I would come back around beginning of April after Ivy Bridge is out and then ask for a build suggestion.**************


Kind of true - there's things he can get now (HD, PSU, cooler) but everything else can definitely be held off but - keep in mind Ivy Bridge is still going to use the same LGA1155 and Z68 socket that the current CPUs use, and I don't think there will be new chipsets immediately but you never know.

so wait until i'm going to buy to decide all of this stuff?
a b C Monitor
January 13, 2012 8:16:10 PM

slader166 said:
im going with a z68 gen3 board so that i can upgrade to ivy bridge later on. :) 


I see. That is a fine option since you don't intend to overclock. But if you are comfortable with ripping out your CPU again in a matter of months and upgrading, it sounds like you should be comfortable overclocking the easy-to-overclock 2500k. With hardly any effort you can clock that CPU to more than 4ghz and then you'll have a stellar gaming chip for years. An overclocked 2500k is going to handily beat the Ivy bridge equivalent at stock clocks in gaming. I think you should reconsider going through the hassle of a CPU upgrade when a CPU that is capable of your needs is already here. The value of even a conservative overclock is astounding.
!