Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help With AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 26, 2012 7:01:59 AM

ok so i just installed my AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor and i get a message in my system information saying "AMD Processor Model Unknown 804 MHz". i've read forums saying that you can reset the CMOS and updating the BIOS of the motherboard. I've Tried updating the Bios of my motherboard but i have a MCP61PM-GM Motherboard that comes from a eMachines Computer Model ET1300 and i've looked for an update on the emachines website but it says that they dont have one. Does anyone know where i can find an update or if there even is one? If it turns out i need a new motherboard that supports AM3 Sockets(By the way my motherboard supports AM2 Sockets) its fine, if you can point me out to some good motherboards for a good price(im on a low budget right now so maybe a motherboard under $100?)

Here are my specs
Motherboard- MCP61PM-GM
Product Name- ET1300
System Bios Version-R01-A1, Date- 3/2/2009
SM BIOS VERSION-2.5

if you need anything else just post and i will provide.

BY THE WAY: i installed CPU-Z and it shows that everything is installed and shows all the specs and such but under "Specification" it gives me the same message as in the Windows System Information.
and the core speed is 803 MHz Shouldnt it be 3.4 GHZ???

Please Help Me With This Problem.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 7:09:00 AM

Its not going to work, you will indeed need a new motherboard. Phenom II 965-980s work with AM3 socket and AM3+ and some models are backward compatible with AM2+, your board is AM2. (whew what a mouthful). My advice is to get an AM3+ board for the capabilities.

The other bad news is you need DDR3 RAM. While you probably could get an AM2+ board and still keep your DDR2, that would kinda be counter productive to upgrading to the 965 in the first place.

For a tight budget, considerthis: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2012 9:03:15 AM

I have an Emachine (1331g-05) and it was able to handle and Athlon x3 450 - 95w. I'm sure we have the same board even though our computers are different models. Your motherboard is rated at 89w if I remember right, but it can handle 95w, but your trying to put an 125w cpu in it. That isn't going to work. I know the motherboard says that it is AM2 but it can, from my experience, can handle some AM3 chips.

I'll listen to nekulturny. In the long run your better off getting and AM3(+) board and DDR3 memory.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 10:08:19 AM

xBloodxShotxx said:
ok so i just installed my AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor and i get a message in my system information saying "AMD Processor Model Unknown 804 MHz". i've read forums saying that you can reset the CMOS and updating the BIOS of the motherboard. I've Tried updating the Bios of my motherboard but i have a MCP61PM-GM Motherboard that comes from a eMachines Computer Model ET1300 and i've looked for an update on the emachines website but it says that they dont have one. Does anyone know where i can find an update or if there even is one? If it turns out i need a new motherboard that supports AM3 Sockets(By the way my motherboard supports AM2 Sockets) its fine, if you can point me out to some good motherboards for a good price(im on a low budget right now so maybe a motherboard under $100?)

Here are my specs
Motherboard- MCP61PM-GM
Product Name- ET1300
System Bios Version-R01-A1, Date- 3/2/2009
SM BIOS VERSION-2.5

if you need anything else just post and i will provide.

BY THE WAY: i installed CPU-Z and it shows that everything is installed and shows all the specs and such but under "Specification" it gives me the same message as in the Windows System Information.
and the core speed is 803 MHz Shouldnt it be 3.4 GHZ???

Please Help Me With This Problem.

If you are running CPU-Z, it means your PC boots to windows. the 800MHz happens when the system is in idle in which case the processor downclock automatically to save power. The important question is whether the cpu ramps up to higher clock ( i.e. 3400Mhz) when you run an application?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 11:21:46 AM

I ran into the exact same problem with my system just last year with the exact same CPU with a AM2+ board. Some people say you can or can't I'm going to suggest another option and it's the one that worked for me. Keep in mind that each motherboard is different so what worked for me may not work for you but it's worth a shot. I am using a Biostar board which isn't all that great by any means and it supports all the other CPU's until the 965 as it was listed on their site and that's with the latest bios version. I didn't realize this before I bought the CPU and when I installed it and got the system running 800 Mhz is what I was presented with. After some digging around I found that I needed to change a few things in the bios to force the system to recognize the full speed of the CPU. Once again this worked for me and it didn't limit me in terms of over clocking etc.

1. Disable Cool and Quite
2. Set Core Divider to 1
3 Set the Multiplier and Voltage for the CPU

I don't know if your board even provides these options but that's what I did to allow my board to recognize the CPU when it didn't officially support it. So check your system and see if that works for you because as it stands right now there's no harm in trying. The Pros is that it will allow you to use the full speed of the CPU but the CPU won't throttle itself to conserve power.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 12:00:30 AM

randomkid said:
If you are running CPU-Z, it means your PC boots to windows. the 800MHz happens when the system is in idle in which case the processor downclock automatically to save power. The important question is whether the cpu ramps up to higher clock ( i.e. 3400Mhz) when you run an application?

how can i check this?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 27, 2012 12:04:47 AM

Like nekulturny said, your board does not support that CPU. You need a new board it is as simple as that.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 12:10:52 AM

cmi86 said:
Like nekulturny said, your board does not support that CPU. You need a new board it is as simple as that.

will do
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 12:12:45 AM

nekulturny said:
Its not going to work, you will indeed need a new motherboard. Phenom II 965-980s work with AM3 socket and AM3+ and some models are backward compatible with AM2+, your board is AM2. (whew what a mouthful). My advice is to get an AM3+ board for the capabilities.

The other bad news is you need DDR3 RAM. While you probably could get an AM2+ board and still keep your DDR2, that would kinda be counter productive to upgrading to the 965 in the first place.

For a tight budget, considerthis: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I see.. will do, thank you very much for letting me know, i will buy these products as soon as i get the money, thank your for posting them up, really saves me time and money! thanks again :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 27, 2012 12:17:55 AM

xBloodxShotxx said:
I see.. will do, thank you very much for letting me know, i will buy these products as soon as i get the money, thank your for posting them up, really saves me time and money! thanks again :) 


Asrock and Gigabyte both offer very nice AM3+ boards with great quality and alot of features for under $80.00
Buy an AM3+ board as this will allow you to use your current CPU and also be able to upgrade to new AMD chips in the future if you so choose.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 27, 2012 3:43:07 AM

xBloodxShotxx said:
how can i check this?

You can see it right in the CPU-Z where it indicates the multiplier and the core speed. The one where you read 803MHz before. The value should vary instantaneously based on the load so you have to watch it.You can simulate load by zipping files or opening any MS application.
m
0
l
!