Mini Freezes

johnkat

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask your opnion on an issue I am having.

I built my PC about 3.5 years ago, and for as long as I can remember I have been having mini freezes. Those freezes last half a second, maybe less and don't affect the operation at all, just that sound and graphics will stutter for a moment, then everything back to normal with no crashes, slowdowns or anything. I cannot give an exact time between them since they are not very often, maybe every hour or so, I have never monitored it but I will now and tell you the results.

All that time I have been assuming it is my PSU because I often hear a small click when they occur. Now though I have decided to find out the cause, since I will be giving my PC to my father, and I will build a new one. My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @2.66
RAM: 4x1GB DDR2 of Aeneon RAM 1066MHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula
GPU: AMD Sapphire 6850
PSU: Coolermaster Real Power M700
HDD: 2x Seagate ST3320620AS in RAID0

My GPU used to be a 4850 but I replaced it about 6-7 months ago.

I am now testing the memory @ 800MHz to see if that solves the problem, although it was supposed to be OCable up to 1200MHz (didn't actually work when I tried, so I settled for 800Mhz). I will report back if that solved the problem or with the interval between the freezes. In the meanwhile I would be glad to hear your thoughts :)

Thank you in advancee.

Open the task manager (control alt delete and its the bottom option) and watch it like a hawk when you are doing things.

Do things on purpose to try to cause the freeze to occur, like perhaps using Prime95 or something to put a workload on the CPU.

johnkat

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Well the thing is that the freezes will not occur during intense cpu tasks or anything, they seem to be completely random, like when i am browsing the web, watching a movie, playing a game or w/e... I am currently waiting for one to happen (maybe the 800mhz memory did the trick) with task manager open to see if a spike occurs. I will try Prime95.

Who knows it may be the electrical wiring in my room, but my brothers pc does not have that isue in the same toom..

johnkat

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Well I do scans regularly so maybe a month? No I have never downloaded anything like that. I am convinced that it is a hardware issue and not a software issue so far..

johnkat

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
well i am running windows 7, i have reformatted once (maybe twice), and i used to have norton 360 as my antivirus. That and the fact that it happens at completely random times and while using any software have made me think so.

A lot happens in the background that is completely transparent to the user.

As an example, a computer could be set to go online every hour on the hour to see if there are any available windows updates. Such a thing wouldn't have an associated message displayed every time it did this. That could cause a small slow down on a consistent interval.

I don't know that it is the case here, but it is possible.

If the times are random like sometimes 5 minutes apart and sometimes 4 hours apart, then its more likely to be some sort of hardware thing than if it happens at 6:15 PM every day or every 3 hours on the dot.

johnkat

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Well it seems that changing the RAM frequency did the trick, since I have not had any mini freezes since then.

Raiddinn thank you for your help and the time you took to reply :)

TRENDING THREADS