January 13, 2012 5:40:14 PM

PC hardware im using.

MSI H61M-P21 Motherboard.
intel PENTIUM G620 dual core 2.6 ghz processor
4 x 2 gigs team elite DDR3 RAM
Radeon HD 6790
Corsair builder series 430 watt power supply
CASE NZXT| GAMA-001BK RT

So I recently built my first PC, and im starting to run into some trouble.

MY CPU temp, is getting WAY too high when under stress. Ive seen it get as high as 101c! Im not sure what to do to fix this... I was under the impression that a new CPU "hardly two weeks old" would not need aftermarket thermal paste or coolers for sometime as long as I was not trying to OC it "which im not".

The thing is that the idle temps are perfect hovering around 41c when not under stress. But after about 15-20 minutes of playing a game "Starcraft 2, Red Orchestra 2 and Shogun 2" the CPU over heats greatly. I dont think the problem is air flow as the case itself has great air flow, and the BIOS is the latest version.

I would like to get my temps down for heavy loads but im not sure where to go from here as I cant afford to buy a after market cooler at this time as I JUST built this computer...

Any advice?

Note: I would also like to note, that even when my temps have spiked like this, ive never actually noticed a hit in performance, no BSOD, not lock ups, freezing or crashes of any sort.

More about : cpu hot

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 6:01:01 PM

Are you experiencing any actual issues with the PC? I know with some CPU and the stock cooler they can get up to that 100C mark. I would make sure that you have the cooler locked into the motherboard correctly. I have seen it where 3 of the 4 pins are locked in, but the 4th is not in correctly and causes the cooler not to make enough contact with the heat spreader. Also, how large is your current case? Do you have at least one exhaust fan for your case? With a 6970 in there, I do not believe any of their coolers are exhaust fans, meaning the heat from the card stays in the case. You will need to make sure you keep air circulated.

If all of those items are taken care of and there are not issues, I would leave it go. A retail chip carried a 3 year warranty. If you are to worried about it you could always install an aftermarket cooler to ease your worry. I know a few people who had done just that for that exact reason. PC Gaming is one of the hardest things that your system will do, so I would expect the temps to be high during that operation.

There are some decent cheap coolers our there if you are running stock or small overclock systems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
January 13, 2012 6:03:22 PM

Well did you use a aftermarket thermal compound? Even if I was going to use the stock fan and not oc, i would AT LEAST use a aftermarket thermal paste, if you think the cooler they sent you is a joke how much do you think that compound it comes with is worth ?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 6:10:37 PM

NO cpu with a stock cooler reaches 100c unless something is wrong. Especially a 2.6ghz sandy bridge and your not even using the integrated gpu.

Do you really think Intel would sell a cpu and fan that hit's 100c? Of course not cause it would fail and they would have to replace it.

I have a 3.1ghz sandy bridge with the same cooler and paste and mine never goes over 60c.

The thermal paste that comes with the cooler is just fine, you don't need aftermarket. You could spend $10 on aftermarket and it may reduce your temps 1-2c if your lucky.

So either the heatsink is not installed correctly, the fan isn't spinning or you forgot to take the plastic off the bottom of the heatsink.

m
l
January 13, 2012 6:23:23 PM

Lol, i forgot about the plastic piece!!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 13, 2012 6:24:42 PM

Take your CPU cooler out and put it back in. What you report is what you get when the CPU is not being cooled properly, owing in this case almost certainly to a bad installation (as long as the fan is spinning). No thermal grease is that bad, and no cooler is that bad, either.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 6:34:14 PM

blacksci said:

your lucky you didnt burn it up .. thats killer temps .. how you mounted it with that cover on is what id like to know ... lmao!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 6:58:23 PM

goodguy713 said:
your lucky you didnt burn it up .. thats killer temps .. how you mounted it with that cover on is what id like to know ... lmao!

How do you know what his temps were? Are you psychic?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 7:16:03 PM

i would agree with the people that said that that is too high and something is wrong. i second what everyone has recommended except continueing to use the computer. intel throttles the cpu at 95 degrees for a reason.... thats cause higher temps will cause damage.
m
l
January 13, 2012 7:22:50 PM

Ok well, I went back and looked at the mounting of the heat sink and fan, Turns out that one of the top pens had popped out of the MOBO and the heat sink wasint level and flat against the CPU. My idle temps already dropped by 15-20c so I guess this is what was causing the problem?
m
l
January 13, 2012 7:23:51 PM

No i did remove the plastic lol. Just something with this Intel heat sink and its clips not wanting to lock into place.....
m
l
January 13, 2012 7:25:13 PM

Is there anyway to tell if I caused damage to the chip? It was only doing this for a day or so and I always turned it off when the temps got too high.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a c 309 à CPUs
January 13, 2012 7:30:35 PM

Let me assume that the cpu cooler fan is spinning, then
I am almost certain that your problem is with the cpu cooler mount.
The pushpin type is notoriously difficult to do, particularly for a first timer.
With the power off, and disconnected, see if the cooler wiggles if you nudge it with your finger. There should be NO movement.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with it.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the direction of the arrow,(counter clockwise) as far as they can go.
Place the cooler so that all 4 pins are oriented over the holes in the motherboard.
Push down on the entire cooler so that all 4 pins are through the motherboard.
When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.
The trick to getting it on is to push down on a diagonal pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard must be out of the case to do the job.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins clockwise to unlock them. You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
You can clean off the old paste with alcohol. Arctic silver 5 or MX-2 are good replacements, but really, any will do.

Do not worry if you might have damaged your chip, it will downclock itself to protect itself.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 7:31:35 PM

trustno1702 said:
Ok well, I went back and looked at the mounting of the heat sink and fan, Turns out that one of the top pens had popped out of the MOBO and the heat sink wasint level and flat against the CPU. My idle temps already dropped by 15-20c so I guess this is what was causing the problem?

Not the first time it's happened to someone. It's happened to me already in the distant past with a core2.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 7:36:08 PM

If the pin doesn't "pop" in with a distinct sound, it's not in.

Since it was like this and you remounted it, it's likely your thermal paste is messed up now and not evenly spread.

You should re-mount it using new thermal paste. I recommend TX-3 by Tuniq.
m
l
January 13, 2012 7:43:11 PM

any advice for removing the old paste if I need to apply new paste?
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a c 309 à CPUs
January 13, 2012 7:50:12 PM

trustno1702 said:
any advice for removing the old paste if I need to apply new paste?

1) Run the pc to get the cpu hot and soften up the paste. When you shut down, it will still be warm and the cooler will come off more easily.

2) Alcohol does the job quite well. The purer the better, but not essential.

3) I use a paper coffee filter to do the job. You want something that will not drop off lint or other impurities on the surfaces.
Wet the paper with the alcohol, and wipe off the paste. Repeat until all is gone.

4) When reapplying paste, do not use too much, or it will act as an insulator. You need only a drop in the center. It will spread without air gaps under pressure and heat.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 7:51:18 PM

geekapproved said:

if you read the posts he said it was around 101c
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 8:07:36 PM

blacksci said:

goodguy713 said:

geekapproved said:

goodguy713 said:

BLACKSCI is not the original poster that was the point and he was saying he forgot to mention to check and see if the plastic was removed during installation.

you murdered that convo lol
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 9:18:35 PM

goodguy713 said:

I read the post, apparently you didn't. The guy you were talking to never mentioned any temps.

Trustno, use a paper towel and some alcohol (91% is best).

Don't take people's advice on applying thermal paste because they are all different. They are made out of different materials and some require different amounts than others. It's best to follow the directions on the package, not some random poster that's telling you how he did.
m
l
January 13, 2012 10:30:30 PM

cbrunnem got the idea, lol.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 10:49:28 PM

I forgive you cbrunnem.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 6:09:31 AM

haha its still funny..
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 1:47:59 PM

lol why is geek forgiving me and why is goodguy laughing?? if anything it should be the other way around... lol
m
l
!