Closed

Noctua NH-D14 vs H100

Hi, I am looking for a cpu cooler to be used for overclocking Ivy Bridge processors (3960x) and I am currently stuck between the choice of the Noctua NH-D14 and the Corsair H100.

This is my setup:
RAM: Corsair xms3 12gb (2000mhz)
CPU: i7 Ivy Bridge 3960x
GPU: 2x Asus GTX 580's
PSU: Corsair HX1000W
SC: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
MOBO: Asus Rampage III Forumla
HDD1: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 7200rpm
HDD2: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 7200rpm
SSD1: OCZ Octane SATA2 512GB
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen

I want to take in mind these different aspects:
1. I prefer it to be quiet.
2. I would like to be able to change the fans for better and possibly more quiet ones.
3. I want it to be extremely effective.

Thanks! :)
9 answers Last reply
More about noctua h100
  1. No a fan of water cooling. Possible leaks. Noise from pump. Additional space taken by the pump.

The Noctua is the easy choice for me.
  2. the 3960x is not ivy bridge, just so you aren't disappointed

Noctua for sure. I've just replaced the fan on my achillies with a noctua F12, it dropped by perhaps 3-4C, and even at 100% it is virtually inaudible, the stock fan was quiet, but this is quieter. I'd suggest that water would be louder.
  3. I just used the Corsair H100 in a build and all I can say is that it was a louder than I thought it was going to be. If I were to build again I would go with the Noctua NH-d14 for the same money.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  4. Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going for the Noctua! :)
    Could you tell me the names of a few very effective and quiet fans I can change for the ones on the noctua? I got like 3 spare Coolermaster blue LED lights but they are very loud.. :)

Cheers,
    Alex.
  5. noctua F12's the focused flow ones, high static pressure, good for HSF.
  6. Yeah that processor isn't ivy bridge but its still a good sandybridge E so it should overclock pretty smooth since Ivy bridge isn't as stable as sandybridge. This might not be true with Ivybridge E chips though released at the end of this year.
  7. I had wrote the wrong cpu btw. And this build isnt complete yet just so you know.
    I will be getting the 3770k :)
    Abd 13thmonkey, I didn't understand what you said, could you put it to layman's terms?
  8. If your getting a 3770k is that motherboard a 1155 socket im assuming? Just making sure because you switched the processor which is a 2011 socket.
  9. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-noctua-nf-f12-pwm-focused-flow-pwm-cooling-fan-quiet

The high static pressure (not cubic feet) of these makes them very good for heat sinks where you have to work to push the air through the vanes. They are also really quiet.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Corsair