580 GTX SLI Temp Problems

gghilliard

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hi,

I am running a SLI setup with a MSI TF 580GTX and an EVGA stock 580GTX. My mb is an Asus P6X58D-E with an i7 950. 12gigs of corsair dominator DDR3 1600 and a XFX 850W Black Edition PSU. It's all in a HAF X case with all fans installed.

The cards are in slots 1 and 2 on my mb. Idle temps are GPU1 40-42 and GPU2 45-47. When running them at load (Crysis 2), the MSI, which is in slot 1 closest to the cpu, hits temps in the low to mid 90s (I've seen it hit 98). I'm no pro, but this must not be good. The second card may peak at about 75C, which to my understanding is acceptable.

I have a custom fan profile set up, but now sure if it's really doing anything. Can I get MSI afterburner to run fans greater that 85%?

I attempted to move the second card to the 3rd PCI-E slot, but was unable to fit it in there because of the cable connections on the edge of my mb. I couldn't get it to click into the slot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do next? Would love to buy an new MB, but can't because money is an issue right now.

Thanks in advance.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
There really aren't any cases out there that are going to move more air for you than what you're using. If it's not already set up, you could install the internal attachment that vectors air to the GPUs. Should do a little for you.

Put the GPUs in the following Configuration, remove any useless cables.
P6_X58_D_P_01.jpg

Throw a side fan to cool down the cards, the EVGA GTX 580s are refrenece design cards, ref designed cards run hotter and noisy than the non-ref designed GPUs such as the MSI TWIN FROZER II/III, or the Asus Direct CU II.
Put the GPUs in those PCIE slots, You should see about 10 degrees less.

gghilliard

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

I have a side fan. I have all the fans my case can take.

Also, I tried to put them in that configuration, but the card would not seat properly. The connections on mb are preventing it from "clicking" into the board.

Are you running the same mb as me? Using that configuration?

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I had the same problem with my 580's in SLI, the primary card would regularly hit 93c in BF3 and Crysis 2. MSI Afterburner fixed it for me. I adjusted the fan speed curve so that it would run at the RPM it was running at once hitting 90C earlier at 70C. This completely fixed the problem and I haven't seen them go over 73C since. It made them slightly louder while gaming but not much. I play with headphones anyway but it only added like 5db. It's worth it to keep your cards cooler so they last longer.

Note, if your case temps are high then this might not help much, My case temps were extremely cool, only a few degrees over ambient (Silverstone Raven 2) but if it is an oven in your case you will prob need to explore other options.

TRENDING THREADS