ASUS Sabertooth x58 Memory Boot Up Issue

bdl11387

Honorable
May 24, 2012
OK I just received my Sabertooth x58 back from an RMA from ASUS.

Ok first issues, Wehn powering up or restarting, the system appears to power cycle 2-3 times.

Basically Powers up for a few seconds, Fans, Lights, etc... (No Post or anything) then a complete power down.

It does this usually twice then boots up normal. I read this is a memory issue. All RAM is brand new.

I purchased 6 x 8 Gig DDR 1333 Corsair

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233296

Second Issue BIOS and Windows only displaying 32 Gigs of RAM, when 48 Gigs are installed.

MemTest 86 --> Shows that it's not detecting bank 3, but all other modules test fine.

EuroSoft --> Only Shows Banks 0,1,4,5.

Things I have done.

Re seating RAM,

Reset CMOS

Reset all overclocking jumpers.

Updates BIOS

Any Diagnostics I could run as well, MemTest, PC Check, etc...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Do you think it needs to go back to ASUS?

Thanks in Advance

Brian

The board officially supports 24GB.
A faulty RAM slot is usually related to CPU socket bent pins.
With the X58 boards I remember that heavy CPU heatsinks could cause boards deformations and memory circuits issues. Try reseating the CPU and checking the socket for bent pins. Test the board outside the case on a flat insulated surface.
Do the restarts occur even with single RAM module installed?

bdl11387

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Ok I re seated the CPU, didn't appear to do anything.

The restarts do occur even with 1 RAM module installed.

I have narrowed it down to B1 slot, I placed a memory module in B1 and tried to boot and nothing.

For one memory module you can use A1 B1 or C1 slots.

I didnt test it outside the case yet.

But I will contact ASUS support tomorrow and see what they say.

Any other thoughts is greatly appreciated

I also have a PERC H310 SAS Controller, could this cause any issues.

have you tried another brand or model of ram dimm?? most mb that post 2-3 times at start up are having hard time reading and setting the ram speed to cpu bus. (not all ram works well in all systems.) have you asked a friend to see if they have any ddr-3 ram you can try with the mb to see if it the mb or a bios read issue with the older ram??

bdl11387

Honorable
May 24, 2012
smorizio - I did not try any other RAM yet, but all 6 RAM modules are exactly the same, it's not recognized 2 of them. I don't thing its a compatibility issue with MOBO, but a damaged bent CPU socket pin, or Bad bank ram slot.

christop - I did try the RAM OK button already with no success, but thanks though

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
8GB DIMMs aren't easy to run on the X58 platform. I doubt the memory sticks you have are even on the ASUS QVL.

There are a number of things that cause memory not to be mapped to the OS on this platform:

1) Would be the hardware related issues cited in the posts above.

2) If the memory fails training during POST. The BIOS is configured to re-attempt training a number of times if one channel will not map. After that it will POST and leave the unstable channel un-mapped. If the DIMMs in the non-mapped channel are not "faulty", the issue is down to the memory controller not being stable with the kit at the timings and speed being applied. The only workaround (where possible) is to relax memory timings until the channel is picked up. Can take a while, but usually adding +1 or +2 clocks on all relevant read and write timing parameters can help (this includes primary, secondary and third timing sets).

What's likely happened here is that you've purchased the memory thinking it would run plug-and-play. You're up against a number of factors, however. 8GB DIMMs were not common place at the time this platform was developed and current, so BIOS or Intel's MRC may not necessarily have optimizations for these DIMMs. Bottom line is getting them stable (assuming they can be made stable) will take some work on your part - and that means making manual adjustments to relax timings so that the memory controller has an easier time dealing with the high density of these DIMMs.

-Raja

bdl11387

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Ok now I'm completly lost.

I purchased 4 Gig sticks cause I was unhappy with the boot process and the system not detecting all my RAM.

I purchased G.SKILL Sniper Series --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

6 x 4 Gig Sticks totally 24 Gigs

After installed same issue, multiple boot cycles and system only detects 16 Gigs of RAM.

Tried MemOK button with no help.

Advanced RMA motherboard from ASUS, I'm really out of ideas.

bdl11387

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Issue Resolved.

It turned out that my SAS RAID controller was causing the issue.

After I removed the RAID Controller card no issue booting it recognizing RAM.

Still don't know why the RAID controller caused this issue, but so be it. I'll go back to SATA Drives for storage.

ace1970

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

Reseat all your ram....the problem is the x58/x79 series mobo only has 1 sided locking clamps for the ram,so after a while do to whatever vibration they un-seat themselves.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

Nope, they do not un-seat themselves. The lower portion of the slot clamps the module when the latch on the topside pushes against it - the modules don't just pop-out as you imply they do.