Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is it possible/safe to remove heatshield from Ripjaws?

Last response: in Memory
March 9, 2013 5:44:40 PM

Hey all,

Got myself a CoolerMaster Heatsink for my CPU. However, it comes down tightly onto one of my ram slots, which contains a 2GB Ripjaws memory stick. If possible, I'd like to remove it off the one stick so that it'll fit underneath and I can use the extra 2GB.

Anyone know a good tutorial somewhere (Google didn't show any results), or feel like posting a quick guide here?

Thanks ^.^
a c 249 } Memory
March 9, 2013 6:01:58 PM

I belief you are talking just about the fan. In that case if like most CM fans it can be pushed up a few mm on the clips.
m
l
March 9, 2013 6:58:12 PM

The heatsink itself (the metal part) gets in the way too, sorry if I didn't make sense. To clarify the question, is it possible to remove the metal casing from g.skill ram, specifically the Ripjaws series?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

March 9, 2013 7:19:07 PM

It's definitely possible and the heatspeaders don't really serve much function on any memory to tell the truth. The sticks themselves aren't manufactured with the casing on there, so it's not structurally integrated. Most likely it's just held by some sort of snap to close the two sides around the memory and some thermal tape that can be wiggled free.
March 9, 2013 8:54:39 PM

Awesome, thanks!
m
l
March 9, 2013 8:54:56 PM

Best answer selected by Reciever80.
m
l
!