lost mouse and keyboard in XP

G

After installing a new driver for my Logitech trackman, I lost mouse function. I tried to rollback to previous driver without success, then tried to strip drivers and mouse. Rebooted a couple of times and then lost keyboard function. Now I am looking at a desktop I can't control. Everything works fine when I boot into another hard drive with ME on it. How do I regain any control over my XP drive?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There's a couple of options that comes to mind, depending on the way you have WinXP installed on the hard drive.

1.) If the hard drive with WinXP is on the FAT32 file system, you could boot with the drive that has WinME, and with a boot floppy disk, format the WinXP drive. Afterwards, you could reinstall WinXP on that drive, and load as a dual-boot. If you didn't wish to keep the dual-boot, you could easily edit the boot.ini file, and take WinME out of the boot-loader, and only run WinXP.

2.) But if you formatted the drive with WinXP as NTFS, that scenario won't work.

In that case, you can try a couple of things. You can attempt to boot into Safe Mode, and see if the keyboard and mouse are functional when running on nothing but the default, basic Microsoft drivers. If so, you could try removing the new Logitech drivers in Safe Mode, and then reinstall the old device drivers using keyboard shortcuts. (That's assuming the keyboard is working in Safe Mode.) You can navigate with the keyboard by using the Ctrl+Tab keys, the arrows, and by pressing Enter. Also, items can be selected with the Alt key, and a letter. For example, you can select the Start button with Ctrl+Tab. Each time you press this combination, the cursor will move to a different area. Once the Start button is depressed, you'll notice that any word that has an underlined letter can be selected with the Alt key and that letter. It's possible to navigate throughout the GUI with nothing but the keyboard.

Note: I've never tried this in WinXP, so it may be more difficult than I've described. I don't currently have a copy for referral ... but this used to be the case in older operating systems.

Another possibility is using the WinXP disk to format the drive, and then reinstall.

You could also try to repair the installation using the WinXP CD.

Are you using a cordless keyboard? Or is it a USB device? If so, you might consider picking up a cheap, PS/2 keyboard, plugging it in, and seeing if the OS will install drivers for it. That would at least give you back keyboard functionality until your could sort out the driver situation. Then you could just reinstall the older Logitech drivers, without the mouse, from the Command Line (Run).

Keep me apprised of your situation ... I might be more helpful after I hear about what you tried ... what worked, what didn't.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

TRENDING THREADS