Customize Start Menu

I would like to know how to customize my Start Menu. It has a bunch of
programs on it that I hardly ever use and I want to have only the ones I
frequently used there. Thanks.

Lola--

These could be helpful--also you can bypass even using the Start Menu much
of the time by right clicking your taskbar>toolbars>address bar. Then the
"activated address bar" will appear inside your task bar and becomes a
defacto run box and you can get wherever you want by typing in the command
there. You can quickly move items off your start menu manually, you can
drag progams there, you can pin them and you can right click the start
button>properties>customize>advanced and limit the number of programs or
increase it.

Also you can get ideas here:

Customize the Start Menu (from MSFT)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/startmenu.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/customizestartmenu.mspx

http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_classic_start_menu.htm

Take Charge of Start Menu PC World
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,73848,00.asp

JSI Tip: Mnage from Start Menu
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBA/tip0000/rh0051.htm

Winguides on Start Menu with Regedits
http://www.winguides.com/registry/category.php/16/

Change the Look of the Start Menu
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/start-03.html

hth,

Chad Harris
_______________________________________

"Lola_aloL" <Lola_aloL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I would like to know how to customize my Start Menu. It has a bunch of
programs on it that I hardly ever use and I want to have only the ones I
frequently used there. Thanks.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Lola_aloL" <Lola_aloL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know how to customize my Start Menu. It has a bunch of
> programs on it that I hardly ever use and I want to have only the ones I
> frequently used there. Thanks.

in the startmenu right click the unwanted ones and 'remove from list'.
next you could drag the shortcuts of the most wanted ones onto the
startbutton.

if it's the 'programs' menu, just create a new programgroup (how does
'Infrequently used stuff' sound?? :)) ) and drag all the infruquently used
stuff (groups and shortcuts) into it. It'll take up just one entry on the
first level of programs, so that should not be too bad.

hth

george

How do I create a new "programgroup"? Right clicking once the start menu
opens the program list doesn't give me that option. "Infrequently used
Stuff" would be a great folder, now how do I do it? :)

Thanks

> in the startmenu right click the unwanted ones and 'remove from list'.
> next you could drag the shortcuts of the most wanted ones onto the
> startbutton.
>
> if it's the 'programs' menu, just create a new programgroup (how does
> 'Infrequently used stuff' sound?? :)) ) and drag all the infruquently used
> stuff (groups and shortcuts) into it. It'll take up just one entry on the
> first level of programs, so that should not be too bad.
>
> hth

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

right click start, open all users, double click Progams, right click in the
window that opens up and choose New, Folder and just name it "Infrequently
used Stuff".
voila, your new program group, that initially will list somewhere in the
Program column.
Right click smewhere in that column and choose Sort bu name to get a nice
ordered list.

hth

george

"BettaBob" <BettaBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I create a new "programgroup"? Right clicking once the start menu
> opens the program list doesn't give me that option. "Infrequently used
> Stuff" would be a great folder, now how do I do it? :)
>
> Thanks
>
>> in the startmenu right click the unwanted ones and 'remove from list'.
>> next you could drag the shortcuts of the most wanted ones onto the
>> startbutton.
>>
>> if it's the 'programs' menu, just create a new programgroup (how does
>> 'Infrequently used stuff' sound?? :)) ) and drag all the infruquently
>> used
>> stuff (groups and shortcuts) into it. It'll take up just one entry on the
>> first level of programs, so that should not be too bad.
>>
>> hth

kMo

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2004

"george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> if it's the 'programs' menu, just create a new programgroup (how does
> 'Infrequently used stuff' sound?? :)) ) and drag all the
> infruquently used stuff (groups and shortcuts) into it. It'll take up
> just one entry on the first level of programs, so that should not be
> too bad.

How do you do this? do you have to make that group in windows explorer?

> right click start, open all users, double click Progams, right click
> in the window that opens up and choose New, Folder and just name it
> "Infrequently used Stuff".
> voila, your new program group, that initially will list somewhere in
> the Program column.
> Right click smewhere in that column and choose Sort bu name to get a
> nice ordered list.
>
> hth
>
> george
>

> "BettaBob" <BettaBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How do I create a new "programgroup"? Right clicking once the start
>> menu opens the program list doesn't give me that option.
>> "Infrequently used Stuff" would be a great folder, now how do I do
>> it? :)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>> in the startmenu right click the unwanted ones and 'remove from
>>> list'. next you could drag the shortcuts of the most wanted ones
>>> onto the startbutton.
>>>
>>> if it's the 'programs' menu, just create a new programgroup (how
>>> does 'Infrequently used stuff' sound?? :)) ) and drag all the
>>> infruquently used
>>> stuff (groups and shortcuts) into it. It'll take up just one entry
>>> on the first level of programs, so that should not be too bad.
>>>
>>> hth

I just asked the same question, I guess I should have read ahead.....
thanks. :)

kMo

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2004

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Lola--
>
> These could be helpful--also you can bypass even using the Start Menu
> much of the time by right clicking your taskbar>toolbars>address bar.
> Then the "activated address bar" will appear inside your task bar and
> becomes a defacto run box and you can get wherever you want by typing
> in the command there. You can quickly move items off your start menu
> manually, you can drag progams there, you can pin them and you can
> right click the start button>properties>customize>advanced and limit
> the number of programs or increase it.
>
> Also you can get ideas here:
>
> Customize the Start Menu (from MSFT)
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/startmenu.msp
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/customizestartme
> nu.mspx
>
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_classic_start_menu.htm
>
> Take Charge of Start Menu PC World
> http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,73848,00.asp
>
> JSI Tip: Mnage from Start Menu
> http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBA/tip0000/rh0051.htm
>
> Winguides on Start Menu with Regedits
> http://www.winguides.com/registry/category.php/16/
>
> Change the Look of the Start Menu
> http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/start-03.html
>
> hth,
>
> Chad Harris
> _______________________________________
actually, by right clicking on start and using show all is not showing
all the programs that are listing under programs. I still have a smear
of folders on the list that are not listing in this other place? How do
I get them into that new folder made of infrequently used items.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"KMO" <Kmo53153@aol.com> wrote in message
> "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> Lola--
>>
>> These could be helpful--also you can bypass even using the Start Menu
>> much of the time by right clicking your taskbar>toolbars>address bar.
>> Then the "activated address bar" will appear inside your task bar and
>> becomes a defacto run box and you can get wherever you want by typing
>> in the command there. You can quickly move items off your start menu
>> manually, you can drag progams there, you can pin them and you can
>> right click the start button>properties>customize>advanced and limit
>> the number of programs or increase it.
>>
>> Also you can get ideas here:
>>
>> Customize the Start Menu (from MSFT)
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/startmenu.msp
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/customizestartme
>> nu.mspx
>>
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_classic_start_menu.htm
>>
>> Take Charge of Start Menu PC World
>> http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,73848,00.asp
>>
>> JSI Tip: Mnage from Start Menu
>> http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBA/tip0000/rh0051.htm
>>
>> Winguides on Start Menu with Regedits
>> http://www.winguides.com/registry/category.php/16/
>>
>> Change the Look of the Start Menu
>> http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/start-03.html
>>
>> hth,
>>
>> Chad Harris
>> _______________________________________
> actually, by right clicking on start and using show all is not showing
> all the programs that are listing under programs. I still have a smear
> of folders on the list that are not listing in this other place? How do
> I get them into that new folder made of infrequently used items.

if you right click on start you have:
open all users (and at the top of the list)
open.

The latter one is the program group for *your* userid only, ie.

some software installs specifically into *your* Programs group and are only
visible in the list when *you* are logged on, whereas other software
installs for *all users* Program group and will always be visible in the
list, regardless who's logged on.
The install routines determine that. FYI they used to be called 'Programs'
and 'Common Programs' in days past!
In those days this distinction was visible in the Start menu.
MS decided (in it's inifinite wisdom) that this was no longer necessary and
so the distinction is no longer visible in the Start menu.

So you open *both* program groups and just drag all shortcuts you want into
the 'parking' group you decided upon.
:))

hth and is not too confusing

george

> "KMO" <Kmo53153@aol.com> wrote in message
>> "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in

snipped
>>> _______________________________________
>> actually, by right clicking on start and using show all is not
>> showing all the programs that are listing under programs. I still
>> have a smear of folders on the list that are not listing in this
>> other place? How do I get them into that new folder made of
>> infrequently used items.
>
> if you right click on start you have:
> open all users (and at the top of the list)
> open.
>
> The latter one is the program group for *your* userid only, ie.
>
> some software installs specifically into *your* Programs group and are
> only visible in the list when *you* are logged on, whereas other
> software installs for *all users* Program group and will always be
> visible in the list, regardless who's logged on.
> The install routines determine that. FYI they used to be called
> 'Programs' and 'Common Programs' in days past!
> In those days this distinction was visible in the Start menu.
> MS decided (in it's inifinite wisdom) that this was no longer
> necessary and so the distinction is no longer visible in the Start
> menu.
>
> So you open *both* program groups and just drag all shortcuts you want
> into the 'parking' group you decided upon.
>:))
>
> hth and is not too confusing
>
> george

Actually I am the only user of this pc and I did figure it out, I just
started to drag and drop into another folder. I never did open *all
users* as you said, I just dragged directly from the programs from the
start menu into the new named folder that I made existent on the program
listing as in *programs hardly used* and that worked. I have just been
having some right click problems lately which I am working on trying to
get fixed and when I was trying to do this, I didn't work the first few
times I gave it a shot. But drag and dropping worked for me. Now I have
to go and look at *all users* for the heck of it and see what it lists.
:) Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS