W7 restarting randomly - No BSOD

Hello! My computer started restarting randomly about 2 weeks ago and this problem is getting more frequent now... I don't get any BSOD and the event viewer will log only "Event ID 41 - Kernel-Power"...

My computer just turn off as if I had a power-loss and then turn on again... The strange is that it's totally random... I can play games for more than 2 hours ou run a stress test for 3 hours without restarting but I can turn on the computer and when browsing the internet for 5 minutes it will restart...

I have made a lot of research on the internet but didn't any relevant information but a PSU problem...

All the drivers are updated...

Here is my setup:

Zalman 360w
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz
2x 4GB Corsair DDR3-1333
eVGA GTX 550 Ti 1GB
2x Seagate Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3

What do you think? Should I replace my PSU or this is a know issue on W7?
13 answers Last reply
More about restarting randomly bsod
  1. 360w PSU is way to low for that setup, I would get a good 650w PSU.
  2. 650 is overkill, but i'd happily agree that 360W is light.

Doesn't explain why it does not gail when being stressed, are these cpu + gpu tests that you run?
  3. 13thmonkey said:
    650 is overkill, but i'd happily agree that 360W is light.

Doesn't explain why it does not gail when being stressed, are these cpu + gpu tests that you run?

You can never overkill enough :)
  4. I've similar problem with my PC. Ever since I bought my PC two years ago I got random crashes with no BSOD.

During the two years I've changed the graphic card, PSU, new memory, new SSD for the OS and reinstalled Windows 7 several times, but still I got the crashes. I've also run memtest without finding any problem.
    So, my problem is probably related to the mother board, the processor or any driver.

My PC:
    - Asus P6X58D PREMIUM
    - Intel Core i7 920, 2.66GHz
    - Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) 1600MHz XMS3
    - ASUS GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB PhysX CUDA
    - OCZ SSD Octane Series 2,5" - 256 GB (used for the OS)
    - 80GB 2.5" SSD Intel X25-M G2 SATA
    - HDD Hitachi 2TB
    - Fractal Design Newton R2 650W PSU
  5. nothing in c:\windows\minidump?

either of you?
  6. Nope
  7. have you got control panel > system > system > advanced > startup and recovery set to create a minidump?
  8. Yes, I have, but no minidump is created.
    The only thing the Windows log says about the crash, is that the PC has been abnormaly turned off.
  9. please can you start your own thread maolas, and provide a lot more information.
  10. I found the problem.... it's the adaptative power management setting implemented in the newer nVidia drivers.... I just changed to "max performance" and it never crashed again....
  11. Where do you set "max performance"? In the NVIDIA or Windows control panel?
  12. yes, on nVidia control panel under "Manage 3D Settings"... in the global settings set the power management mode to "prefer maximun performance"...
  13. Thanks! I'll try it :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Blue Screen Windows 7