Bent Pins, New CPU. What do?

jubbajabba07

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hey Tom's community!
I'm very close to being done with my first build, and I noticed that some pins were bent on my motherboard's CPU socket.
Will I be able to use my processor I just received?
Will NewEgg replace my board?
Is it possible to bend the pins back into place safely?
Help!

Solution
Just tell them they were bent on arrival. and have them replace the board. I normally would not recommend this but given the situation and the damage that can be done by re- bending the pins try to have them replace it first. IF they wont then go for the bending the pins back option.

jubbajabba07

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013

I believe that the pins weren't bent on arrival, but I'm not 100% sure. It could have been my fault.

Just tell them they were bent on arrival. and have them replace the board. I normally would not recommend this but given the situation and the damage that can be done by re- bending the pins try to have them replace it first. IF they wont then go for the bending the pins back option.

Solution

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

I don't know why, but I am having a hard time picturing this. The CPU has pins, the socket has space for the pins from everything I've ever seen?

If it's the CPU that has pins bent, it's an easy fix. I assume it would apply to pins on any component that were bent.

Foolproof method: Take a credit card upside down (don't want the embossed numbers involved), slide it carefully between the rows of the CPU pins. It's EXACTLY the right side to fit if the pins are not bent inward. If you do this down every row, then rotate the chip a 1/4 turn and repeat so you cross the invisible rows you made last time, you'll be set. Of course if your pins are bent outward on the final row, you'll need to push them upright with the edge of the card gently before beginning.

jubbajabba07

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013

It's not my CPU that has bent pins, but the motherboard.