Solved

Dell XPS M1530 CPU upgrade

I bought a used Dell XPS M1530 that currently has an Intel Core2 Duo T5750 @2.00 GHz, and an NVIDIA 8600 GT. I want to upgrade to Intel Core2 Duo T7300 since I have read that it would give me an increase from 667 FSB to 800. PartsPeople has this for about $40 USD.

Since I'm no tech expert, am I getting a significant boost with such an upgrade?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dell m1530 upgrade
  1. Not really, the FSB boost is somewhat irrelevant. If your going to upgrade, I would shoot for a T8XXX.
  2. sk1939 said:
    Not really, the FSB boost is somewhat irrelevant. If your going to upgrade, I would shoot for a T8XXX.


    I've seen as much as T9*** suggested, but people start talking about too much heat and possible damage at that point. Would I need to worry about that in the case of T8***?
  3. laptop upgrades are notoriously difficult, heat is an issue, and precisely which processors are able to be used by your mobo.
  4. shokan said:
    I've seen as much as T9*** suggested, but people start talking about too much heat and possible damage at that point. Would I need to worry about that in the case of T8***?



    Not really, since the T8300 for example has the same TDP as the T7300, but at 13thmonkey said, laptop upgrades are notoriously difficult, and the question then becomes if the board even supports the processor, which is not always the case. I know the T8300 works because Dell shipped versions of the M1530 with that chip; the others however can be hit or miss.
  5. sk1939 said:
    Not really, since the T8300 for example has the same TDP as the T7300, but at 13thmonkey said, laptop upgrades are notoriously difficult, and the question then becomes if the board even supports the processor, which is not always the case. I know the T8300 works because Dell shipped versions of the M1530 with that chip; the others however can be hit or miss.

    I think I'll go ahead and do the T8300 then. It's under $100 I think. Am I actually getting a significant speed increase this way, especially in 2D and light 3D modeling?
  6. Best answer
    i'd say no maybe 5-10% certainly unlikely to be more than that
  7. 13thmonkey said:
    i'd say no maybe 5-10% certainly unlikely to be more than that


    Hmmph. Not worth it. Thanks for your help.
  8. Best answer selected by shokan.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Dell Studio Xps Intel