Possible to watch HD DirecTV satellite on htpc via WMC 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojpimpson

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hi, I'm doing some research and it appears that it's not possible to setup a HTPC for HD DirecTV with a TV tuner card, only cable. Is this correct? I have a DirecTV HD-DVR, but I'd like to setup a gaming HTPC, to act as the DVR, watch live TV, and play games on the big screen TV. Any advice is much appreciated.

Solution
The only way that I am aware of to set up satellite to record on an HTPC is to use an IR blaster with a capture card. Something like the Hauppauge Colossus or HDPVR. Basically, the HTPC uses a blaster to change channels and captures the image and sound over RCA analog. Quite a bit of trouble... easier to just rent a DVR from the satellite company.
The only way that I am aware of to set up satellite to record on an HTPC is to use an IR blaster with a capture card. Something like the Hauppauge Colossus or HDPVR. Basically, the HTPC uses a blaster to change channels and captures the image and sound over RCA analog. Quite a bit of trouble... easier to just rent a DVR from the satellite company.

Solution

ojpimpson

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

Okay thanks. I was reading a thread on avsforums and it appears the Colossus is the answer. I will read more about it when I get the time, but it looks like it's going to be a lot of work. BTW, I already have a HD-DVR through DirecTV, but I figured it would be more "seamless" if I used the HTPC to do everything, including the live/recorded TV aspect. We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.