Vista V. X_Fi

cptmac

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Built this monster system, my first. Gigabyte P35 DQ6, 6850, 150 Raptor, 750 WD, 8800 GTX, 850 watt Antec and of course this SoundBlaster X-Fi sound card. What a pain. Worked through the Mobo BIAS challenges. Got the system running. Showed it to my "Geek" friend, expecting a pat on the back. The processor beeps runs Vista for one minute, shuts down for one second, beeps and runs Vista again this time like nothing was wrong, it's up and running. I thought this was normal. He says no your system is crashing. I can live with that. But last night I lost all sound, the seven speakers are mute. I uninstalled the X-Fi software, went to SB's website, downloaded the Vista driver, saved it, opened it. Next I took the CD that came with sound card, put it in the DVD drive and clicked install. Vista started to install and then locked on the black screen with the sound blaster logo. Help.

joewho

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
Make sure you disabled you onboard sound in BIOS. Prior to installing your X-Fi. I would remove the X-fi card and drivers then check and see if it is the issue. If all is well after that, you know it's the X-Fi or X-Fi drivers. Double check you have the right VISTA Driver 32 or 64. Update your BIOS. Then try again. Remember, disable onboard sound in BIOS.

Hope this helps

Redline24

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Ever check your temperatures/stability?
It's probably a good idea...

You never know when that really important document isn't going to save right because your system is so unstable...

TRENDING THREADS