Need US version of GDFS for my Sony-Ericsson T610

Last response: in Technologies
August 28, 2004 11:45:09 AM

Hi Guys,
Soon after getting my Sony-Ericsson T610 I immediately noticed the very
poor reception of the phone. So I updated the firmware of the phone with
some new versions (R4C003 & R6C005) but I am still having the reception
problems. I cannot make a call or receive a call from my home or the
office even when phone is displaying 2-3 bars on the signal meter.
Though I have no problems at all with my Nokia 3650 and Mitsubishi G310
phones being used on same locations. Let me explain this a bit: first I
get 2 or 3 bars then I dial a number, as soon I finish dialing the
number those signal bars disappear from the screen and then my phone
quit dialing the number and take me back to list of recently dialed
numbers. Though I can dial a number successfully when I am close to a
tower and I am getting full strength signal. Same thing happens when I
dial my T610 number from my land line phone, as soon as I dial to my
T610, signal bars disappear from T610 screen and my call is forwarded to
voice mail.

Now I don't know if this is happening due to poor reception of the phone
or if the antenna on the T610 is damaged. I have flashed my phone with
'T610 Original GDFS Area' file from www.cellular-support.com. Now I was
wondering if I can get a US or Canadian version of GDFS firmware as a
last ditch option, it may solve this problem. So I would appreciate if
anyone can please let me know where I can get a US T-mobile or Canadian
Rogers T610 GDFS firmware. Or if someone has a backup GDFS file I would
appreciate if you can please send it to me. My e-mail is rugal74@yahoo
dot com.

Thanks guys.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 9:09:21 PM

>Soon after getting my Sony-Ericsson T610 I immediately noticed the very
>poor reception of the phone.

Well, my freind, you are among all the other victims of SE purchases. They have
a lot of good to great features - one of which is NOT good reception.

Poor reception is well known and a SE phone probably shouldn't be purchased if
you want to actually make and receive calls.

--
John S.
August 28, 2004 10:58:38 PM

John S. wrote:
> Well, my freind, you are among all the other victims of SE
purchases. They have
> a lot of good to great features - one of which is NOT good reception.
>
> Poor reception is well known and a SE phone probably shouldn't be purchased if
> you want to actually make and receive calls.
>
> --
> John S.
> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net

Well I was kind of aware of week signal reception problems of
Sony-Ericsson phones and that's why I stayed away from T68i. But I had
an impression that SE might have fixed these reception problems in next
generation of phones. But my T610 is unreal, as it is completely
unusable. Now I have the phone for 4 days and I have been able to make
only 4 or 5 calls from T610 so far. I don't think a $250 list price
handset should behave in this way.

Now flashing the phone set with T-mobile GDFS file is kind of a last
ditch option cause my phone shows 2-3 signal bars on the screen but as
soon as I dial any number those bars disappear and my phone quit dialing
the number. Since this is a T-mobile issued T610 phone, I thought that
flashing the phone with T-mobile GDFS might help.

Does anyone else has any suggestions..... I would appreciate if someone
can please send me this GDFS file. Thanks.

Rhoniel
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 5:11:36 PM

> Now flashing the phone set with T-mobile GDFS file is kind of a last
> ditch option cause my phone shows 2-3 signal bars on the screen but as
> soon as I dial any number those bars disappear and my phone quit dialing
> the number. Since this is a T-mobile issued T610 phone, I thought that
> flashing the phone with T-mobile GDFS might help.

I don't think so. Try bring tyour T610 to SonyEricsson service. They have
special equipment for adjusting mobile phones.
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 5:39:06 PM

>Does anyone else has any suggestions..... I would appreciate if someone
>can please send me this GDFS file.

Although not "else", I would suggest that you get your money back and get a
Nokia or Samsung. Both of which have excellent reception.

--
John S.
August 29, 2004 8:06:05 PM

"Rhoniel" <rhonielu@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> John S. wrote:
> > Well, my freind, you are among all the other victims of SE
> purchases. They have
> > a lot of good to great features - one of which is NOT good reception.
> >
> > Poor reception is well known and a SE phone probably shouldn't be
purchased if
> > you want to actually make and receive calls.

> Well I was kind of aware of week signal reception problems of
> Sony-Ericsson phones and that's why I stayed away from T68i. But I had
> an impression that SE might have fixed these reception problems in next
> generation of phones. But my T610 is unreal, as it is completely
> unusable. Now I have the phone for 4 days and I have been able to make
> only 4 or 5 calls from T610 so far. I don't think a $250 list price
> handset should behave in this way.
>
> Now flashing the phone set with T-mobile GDFS file is kind of a last
> ditch option cause my phone shows 2-3 signal bars on the screen but as
> soon as I dial any number those bars disappear and my phone quit dialing
> the number. Since this is a T-mobile issued T610 phone, I thought that
> flashing the phone with T-mobile GDFS might help.

Not sure why you think the GDFS will help. This is clearly not just a case
of poor reception on this model phone. Just to make sure, I assume that this
situation occurs when you have 2-3 bars of reception for an operator that
you can actually use? Ie, the phone is not displaying "SOS calls only" or
similar?

Sounds more like a damaged phone to me..
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 8:16:58 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <10j271f8gio7j2a@corp.supernews.com> on Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:58:38 -0500,
Rhoniel <rhonielu@hotmail.com> wrote:

>John S. wrote:

>> Well, my freind, you are among all the other victims of SE purchases. They have
>> a lot of good to great features - one of which is NOT good reception.
>>
>> Poor reception is well known and a SE phone probably shouldn't be purchased if
>> you want to actually make and receive calls.

How silly. While there have been some CE phones with mediocre radio
performance (e.g., T68i), just like other manufacturers, most have
good-to-excellent performance (e.g., T39m).

>Well I was kind of aware of week signal reception problems of
>Sony-Ericsson phones and that's why I stayed away from T68i. But I had
>an impression that SE might have fixed these reception problems in next
>generation of phones. But my T610 is unreal, as it is completely
>unusable. Now I have the phone for 4 days and I have been able to make
>only 4 or 5 calls from T610 so far. I don't think a $250 list price
>handset should behave in this way.

Of course not. The T610 is a pretty good phone (albeit a bit dated -- why not
get a more current model?). You probably have a defective handset -- get it
repaired or replaced under warranty.

>Now flashing the phone set with T-mobile GDFS file is kind of a last
>ditch option

Firmware alone is very unlikely to fix your problem, as you have already
discovered.

>cause my phone shows 2-3 signal bars on the screen but as
>soon as I dial any number those bars disappear and my phone quit dialing
>the number. Since this is a T-mobile issued T610 phone, I thought that
>flashing the phone with T-mobile GDFS might help.

Probably not.

>Does anyone else has any suggestions.....

Repair or replacement.

>I would appreciate if someone
>can please send me this GDFS file. Thanks.

Bad idea -- not only would that infringe the copyright, you might get a hacked
file that would only make things worse.