Need US version of GDFS for my Sony-Ericsson T610

Hi Guys,
Soon after getting my Sony-Ericsson T610 I immediately noticed the very
poor reception of the phone. So I updated the firmware of the phone with
some new versions (R4C003 & R6C005) but I am still having the reception
problems. I cannot make a call or receive a call from my home or the
office even when phone is displaying 2-3 bars on the signal meter.
Though I have no problems at all with my Nokia 3650 and Mitsubishi G310
phones being used on same locations. Let me explain this a bit: first I
get 2 or 3 bars then I dial a number, as soon I finish dialing the
number those signal bars disappear from the screen and then my phone
quit dialing the number and take me back to list of recently dialed
numbers. Though I can dial a number successfully when I am close to a
tower and I am getting full strength signal. Same thing happens when I
dial my T610 number from my land line phone, as soon as I dial to my
T610, signal bars disappear from T610 screen and my call is forwarded to
voice mail.

Now I don't know if this is happening due to poor reception of the phone
or if the antenna on the T610 is damaged. I have flashed my phone with
'T610 Original GDFS Area' file from www.cellular-support.com. Now I was
wondering if I can get a US or Canadian version of GDFS firmware as a
last ditch option, it may solve this problem. So I would appreciate if
anyone can please let me know where I can get a US T-mobile or Canadian
Rogers T610 GDFS firmware. Or if someone has a backup GDFS file I would
appreciate if you can please send it to me. My e-mail is rugal74@yahoo
dot com.

Thanks guys.
6 answers Last reply
More about need version gdfs sony ericsson t610

    >Soon after getting my Sony-Ericsson T610 I immediately noticed the very
    >poor reception of the phone.

    Well, my freind, you are among all the other victims of SE purchases. They have
    a lot of good to great features - one of which is NOT good reception.

    Poor reception is well known and a SE phone probably shouldn't be purchased if
    you want to actually make and receive calls.

    --
    John S.

    John S. wrote:
    > Well, my freind, you are among all the other victims of SE
    purchases. They have
    > a lot of good to great features - one of which is NOT good reception.
    >
    > Poor reception is well known and a SE phone probably shouldn't be purchased if
    > you want to actually make and receive calls.
    >
    > --
    > John S.
    > e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net

    Well I was kind of aware of week signal reception problems of
    Sony-Ericsson phones and that's why I stayed away from T68i. But I had
    an impression that SE might have fixed these reception problems in next
    generation of phones. But my T610 is unreal, as it is completely
    unusable. Now I have the phone for 4 days and I have been able to make
    only 4 or 5 calls from T610 so far. I don't think a $250 list price
    handset should behave in this way.

    Now flashing the phone set with T-mobile GDFS file is kind of a last
    ditch option cause my phone shows 2-3 signal bars on the screen but as
    soon as I dial any number those bars disappear and my phone quit dialing
    the number. Since this is a T-mobile issued T610 phone, I thought that
    flashing the phone with T-mobile GDFS might help.

    Does anyone else has any suggestions..... I would appreciate if someone
    can please send me this GDFS file. Thanks.

    Rhoniel

    > Now flashing the phone set with T-mobile GDFS file is kind of a last
    > ditch option cause my phone shows 2-3 signal bars on the screen but as
    > soon as I dial any number those bars disappear and my phone quit dialing
    > the number. Since this is a T-mobile issued T610 phone, I thought that
    > flashing the phone with T-mobile GDFS might help.

    I don't think so. Try bring tyour T610 to SonyEricsson service. They have
    special equipment for adjusting mobile phones.

    >Does anyone else has any suggestions..... I would appreciate if someone
    >can please send me this GDFS file.

    Although not "else", I would suggest that you get your money back and get a
    Nokia or Samsung. Both of which have excellent reception.

    --
    John S.

    "Rhoniel" <rhonielu@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > John S. wrote:
    > > Well, my freind, you are among all the other victims of SE
    > purchases. They have
    > > a lot of good to great features - one of which is NOT good reception.
    > >
    > > Poor reception is well known and a SE phone probably shouldn't be
    purchased if
    > > you want to actually make and receive calls.

    > Well I was kind of aware of week signal reception problems of
    > Sony-Ericsson phones and that's why I stayed away from T68i. But I had
    > an impression that SE might have fixed these reception problems in next
    > generation of phones. But my T610 is unreal, as it is completely
    > unusable. Now I have the phone for 4 days and I have been able to make
    > only 4 or 5 calls from T610 so far. I don't think a $250 list price
    > handset should behave in this way.
    >
    > Now flashing the phone set with T-mobile GDFS file is kind of a last
    > ditch option cause my phone shows 2-3 signal bars on the screen but as
    > soon as I dial any number those bars disappear and my phone quit dialing
    > the number. Since this is a T-mobile issued T610 phone, I thought that
    > flashing the phone with T-mobile GDFS might help.

    Not sure why you think the GDFS will help. This is clearly not just a case
    of poor reception on this model phone. Just to make sure, I assume that this
    situation occurs when you have 2-3 bars of reception for an operator that
    you can actually use? Ie, the phone is not displaying "SOS calls only" or
    similar?

    Sounds more like a damaged phone to me..

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <10j271f8gio7j2a@corp.supernews.com> on Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:58:38 -0500,
    Rhoniel <rhonielu@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >John S. wrote:

    >> Well, my freind, you are among all the other victims of SE purchases. They have
    >> a lot of good to great features - one of which is NOT good reception.
    >>
    >> Poor reception is well known and a SE phone probably shouldn't be purchased if
    >> you want to actually make and receive calls.

    How silly. While there have been some CE phones with mediocre radio
    performance (e.g., T68i), just like other manufacturers, most have
    good-to-excellent performance (e.g., T39m).

    >Well I was kind of aware of week signal reception problems of
    >Sony-Ericsson phones and that's why I stayed away from T68i. But I had
    >an impression that SE might have fixed these reception problems in next
    >generation of phones. But my T610 is unreal, as it is completely
    >unusable. Now I have the phone for 4 days and I have been able to make
    >only 4 or 5 calls from T610 so far. I don't think a $250 list price
    >handset should behave in this way.

    Of course not. The T610 is a pretty good phone (albeit a bit dated -- why not
    get a more current model?). You probably have a defective handset -- get it
    repaired or replaced under warranty.

    >Now flashing the phone set with T-mobile GDFS file is kind of a last
    >ditch option

    Firmware alone is very unlikely to fix your problem, as you have already
    discovered.

    >cause my phone shows 2-3 signal bars on the screen but as
    >soon as I dial any number those bars disappear and my phone quit dialing
    >the number. Since this is a T-mobile issued T610 phone, I thought that
    >flashing the phone with T-mobile GDFS might help.

    Probably not.

    >Does anyone else has any suggestions.....

    Repair or replacement.

    >I would appreciate if someone
    >can please send me this GDFS file. Thanks.

    Bad idea -- not only would that infringe the copyright, you might get a hacked
    file that would only make things worse.

GSM Phones Sony Ericsson